Jump to content
BANGKOK 18 April 2019 19:17
rooster59

Thailand’s eVisa On Arrival (eVOA) service is now live

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, lkv said:

I mean in regards to parameters like how many visas in a certain timeframe or limits in total duration of stay per calendar year, which would make the system reject an application. That sort of thing. 

 

Or they're not bothering with that?

If I knew that I would tell you, but I don't know that because I had nothing to do with the programming side, and again, the immigration database is linked in. I only know how the system works, and which Tech was involved in the build (UK, US, France, and Germany) but not how any parameters were set. I believe it is the first time Thailand has had a system in place that incorporates the MFA and Immigration together so it is all new in that respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RE - The old system was launched last year but was cancelled after foreign tourists complained it didn’t work properly.

RE - From April 1st, it is planned that nationals from Britain and France will also be able to use the service.

 

Based on the historical performance and now planned to commence on the fools day (1st of April) doesn't trig the expectations ....  :coffee1:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE - The old system was launched last year but was cancelled after foreign tourists complained it didn’t work properly.

RE - From April 1st, it is planned that nationals from Britain and France will also be able to use the service.

Actually it is two different systems.

There is one for the e visa for visas on arrival for the those those that qualify that failed.

The other one is for submitting visa applications to the mentioned embassies online on April 1st.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Actually it is two different systems.

There is one for the e visa for visas on arrival for the those those that qualify that failed.

The other one is for submitting visa applications to the mentioned embassies online on April 1st.

 

RE - Actually it is two different systems.

 

Developed by the same source ... :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE - Actually it is two different systems.

 

Developed by the same source ... :whistling:

No it isn't the system that was previously launched and no, this system has never been used before other than the basics of a similar system being used in Singapore albeit without the database link. It certainly wasn't developed by the same source or indeed on a worldwide CISCO system. You would be surprised by what this particular system can do and exactly what it knows about you 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

No it isn't the system that was previously launched and no, this system has never been used before other than the basics of a similar system being used in Singapore albeit without the database link. It certainly wasn't developed by the same source or indeed on a worldwide CISCO system. You would be surprised by what this particular system can do and exactly what it knows about you 😮

RE - this system has never been used before

 

This is where the challenge lies ...

 

I am not a pessimist - rather a realist ...

 

At least no one should take from them that they try, but If it will function (this time) remains to see and on the fool's day we have the answer ... :coffee1:

Edited by ttrd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't see post service having intention of implementation, can only see it coming back for perhaps simple visas if appointments become too much of a burden to embassy and they got any powers to control ways they implement the actual issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

I personally don't see post service having intention of implementation, can only see it coming back for perhaps simple visas if appointments become too much of a burden to embassy and they got any powers to control ways they implement the actual issue.

 

Lets try one more time....It is NOT an appointment system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 4:39 PM, Splash210 said:

Well people from China are the number one tourists, so it would make sense for them to start with China.

Number one in what ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Lets try one more time....It is NOT an appointment system.

And it not quite a full e-visa either with current setup ...

 

I quite understand the concept and big change of online system handling application acceptance, but It ends up AN appointment for UK if your visa is excepted by the system and appointment purely for visual checking of any supporting docs and putting sticker or stamp in your travel doc which realistically could be done much same as already is via post but will unlikely done that way (without consulates/embassy requesting it and getting it approved) which will be unfortunate for some who had convenience and sensible cost of postal service .

Most other eVisa systems have setup of eVisa entry points where you get stamp or sticker at point of entry and very practical and efficient for all parties .

The thai way unfortunately will be a ballahe and expense for anyone involved lol ...

Edited by BuckBee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 1:03 AM, cnx355 said:

Hopefully Local Immigration may use it for expats to apply for extension filling the form and scanning the documents so we can have queue number  when  the officer have already checked the application.

Long overdue in this digital age. Like Malaysia My Home. May be by 2030, when baht will be 20/USD and retirement requirement will rival Malaysia My Home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

If I knew that I would tell you, but I don't know that because I had nothing to do with the programming side, and again, the immigration database is linked in. I only know how the system works, and which Tech was involved in the build (UK, US, France, and Germany) but not how any parameters were set. I believe it is the first time Thailand has had a system in place that incorporates the MFA and Immigration together so it is all new in that respect.

So a mixture of technologies came together to design Thai 4.0 Immigration huh?

 

Could I ask you, specifically, what did France bring to the table? Also interested in the UK and Germany's contribution. US don't need to know.

Edited by lkv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

And it not quite a full e-visa either with current setup ...

 

I quite understand the concept and big change of online system handling application acceptance, but It ends up AN appointment for UK if your visa is excepted by the system and appointment purely for visual checking of any supporting docs and putting sticker or stamp in your travel doc which realistically could be done much same as already is via post but will unlikely done that way (without consulates/embassy requesting it and getting it approved) which will be unfortunate for some who had convenience and sensible cost of postal service .

Most other eVisa systems have setup of eVisa entry points where you get stamp or sticker at point of entry and very practical and efficient for all parties .

The thai way unfortunately will be a ballahe and expense for anyone involved lol ...

The concept of the system is actually quite clever. If you watch the tutorial, you can apply through the portal anywhere in the world, get the approval for the visa to be issued and then choose a mission, anywhere in the world to collect the visa. UK passport holders will no longer need to be actually in London to apply through the portal. The only proviso on collecting the visa, will be determined by the Embassy/consulate where you wish to collect the visa being switched over too the system. The idea is to have all Thai embassy's and consulates worldwide switched over within 2 years. That isn't hard to do. It's simply software installed on a local terminal and an Internet connection. Once the switch starts, and it already has with China, it will be a gradual changeover as the system is proved. The UK and France switch over in April and then I think it will be swiftly followed by other country's through 2019. IMO, they will be followed by Vientiane and KL as they have recently switched to a an appointment system anyway. 
For instance, you are in London but will be travelling to KL before visiting Thailand. You apply for the visa, get the approval but rather than going to London, you choose to collect the visa in KL while you are there before travelling too Thailand.
Of course though, due to digital fraud, there is always liable to be a check on your hard copy's of documents before you actually get the visa put in your passport.
The system is able to handle the majority of visa types, not only tourist visas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking the usual grandstanding into account, rolling out the new system will probably take twice as long, has a third of the functionality they hope for and costs four times as much as planned. The latter won't be a problem, obviously, as they can simply increase the price of a visa accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All sounds good, I am excited about these major countries mentioned by @Lovethailandelite

 

Meanwhile, a quick whois on VFSEVISA.COM tells us: 

 

Registrant Contact Name: Girish Kanojia Organization: VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd Mailing Address: 20th Floor, Tower A, Urmi Estate, 95, Ganpatrao Kadam Marg, Lower Parel (W), Mumbai Maharashtra 400013 IN Phone: +91.2267289000 Ext: Fax: Fax Ext: Email:vfsdomainadmin@vfsglobal.com

 

Part of VFS Global headquartered in Dubai.

 

Still wanna know what role France played in all this, from a technological point of view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...