Touring On A Scooter

mercman24

I use the Kurviger App for touring. You can select what kind of roads it should suggest and sometimes you are surprised what routes you will find.
They have a website too where you can create routes and export them to other formats.
As for Touring with whatever you have: Anything is possible and just having a Scooter shouldn’t stop you from Touring. 
I used to ride BMW GS and liked it. Now I ride a Aerox 155 and like it too. Different rinding, but fun nonetheless.
I did the Mae Hong Song Loop on a rented NMax 155 and it was a blast. 
Last trip i did was in January from Hua Hin, Kanchanaburi, Ban Rai, Tak, Mae Sot, Mae Sariang, Chiang Mai, Phrao, Chiang Rai, Nan, Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Ban Rai, Kanchanaburi, Hua Hin.
3150km on a Scooter.

Beginning of March it’s going down to Malaysia.

I plan all the routes with Kurviger.

Bol

Trip sounds epic, how many days?

I was in phrae / chiang Rai / Nan for 5 days in December - brilliant.

Was there much to see at Tak / Mae Sot? Worth a look?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/16/2019 at 10:37 AM, mercman24 said:

hi, has or does or has anyone toured on a scooter, was thinking a leisurely trip to Buriram,  (and other places) any advice welcome, my bike, a 125 Yamaha GT , cruises at 80 kmph, no probs,  also point me in the direction of a decent map please ,or recommend a good sat nav, ( a bit different from my 1000rr Fireblade, sighs) but i can carry all my fishing gear on this. more practical

Back in the days i drove my Honda wave from Bangkok to Mae sai, no problem at all.

Not in 1 day though !! stopped at any main cities, i was a on "photo trip", take your time and enjoy.

You will find very nices maps in 7/11 in touristic ares or at any decent stationary shop.

If u'r gona use your phone you can download the app maps.me and download the thai map (offline usage).

Just tricky to carry all your stuff around, that's how i did it, what could go wrong !? aha well actually held and it was comfy for my back

PS : These scooters never brake down, no worries if properly maintained they are bulletproof. 

image.png.a38b542bca04f158099c676000d0c788.png

On 2/18/2019 at 9:12 AM, VocalNeal said:

Google maps is good enough for touring. Downside it will lose signal in really remote places but you will find all the interesting places when you are lost and the scooter make not get you up bad dirt roads to places with no signal.

If the bike is in generally good nick and has been recently serviced just get on the bloody thing and ride. Everything else is part of the adventure.

Google maps allows you to download the map to your device for a month now (offline maps) so you can download before you set off in case your internet connection goes down. The GPS should work anywhere but if in the unlikely event that it doesn't you still have a map downloaded on your phone so you should never really get lost.

Back to touring on big bikes/scooters - I have done both and big bikes are way better for this. More comfy, more stable, better brakes, more grip, power to get away from tailgaters, more road presence, more fun etc. Big bikes can go slow but scooters can't go fast (especially up twisty mountains). No fun for me going up a steep hill at 40 kph on a scooter with the throttle wide open as pickups blast past me a metre away. There's nothing wrong with touring on a scooter, it's just more fun and easier on a big bike.

On 2/26/2019 at 5:43 PM, JaiLai said:

Trip sounds epic, how many days?

I was in phrae / chiang Rai / Nan for 5 days in December - brilliant.

Was there much to see at Tak / Mae Sot? Worth a look?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We took our time and stayed at a floating resort on the large lake ( Sinakharin ) north of Kanchanaburi. Beautiful roads. It took 6 days to Chiang Mai. We stayed 6 days there and spent another 10 days on the rest.

Tak was ok. We drove actually a road that got us a little north of Mae Sot ( 1175 ). Amazing road ( even with Scooters ???? )

My wife recorded this part on relive

https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10003015249

We stayed for the night in Tha Song Yang.

We have to get back to Nan again. So many more roads to discover.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:51 PM, JaiLai said:

Explain to me the benifits of touring on a scooter as opposed to a big bike pls ( if cost of purchase is not an issue ).

I love my CB500X but there are places my Wave 125 has taken me that the big bike would not have gone.

David

Archived