Investigate this "mobile monk" sprinkling tourists with holy water!

rooster59

Investigate this "mobile monk" sprinkling tourists with holy water!

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUzNi83NjgxMjk4L2RkZGRkLmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook

A concerned member of the public contacted Sanook after seeing suspicious behavior in the Khao Lak area of Phangnga in Thailand's south. 

A man dressed as a monk in sunglasses was in the back of a blue pick-up with a roof. Next to him was a golden Buddhist image and what looked like a donation box. 

As tourists passed he would sprinkle them with "nammon" (holy water) and when they showed interest he would tie some "sai sin" (holy string) around their wrists and do a few incantations. 

As soon as some money was safely deposited in his donation box he was off to find the next tourists. 

The good Samaritan said that a report to the authorities had seen no action.

And no one at the Phangnga ecclesiastical office was picking up the phone. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-16

aaaaaa_1550222998.jpg

You see this outside of Bangkok a lot.  Thai's also donate to them.  They are usually from a very small temple and don't get the donations they think they should get at their own temple.  I've asked why they are doing this and get all kinds of answers like having to pay bills to needing repairs done.  

Real or fake, I wouldn't cross the road to wee on one if it was on fire, bunch of thieving, drunk, drug taking, woman / child abusing wasters, and before a Mod takes this off, just remember that similar stories have been posted in the Nation for all to see, so it's not as if I'm telling tales out of school is it ??  

Just now, Golden Triangle said:

Real or fake, I wouldn't cross the road to wee on one if it was on fire, bunch of thieving, drunk, drug taking, woman / child abusing wasters, and before a Mod takes this off, just remember that similar stories have been posted in the Nation for all to see, so it's not as if I'm telling tales out of school is it ??  

There are also regular similar stories that involve felangs , so, All felangs are.................

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

There are also regular similar stories that involve felangs , so, All felangs are.................

I get what you are saying, but my beef with these guys is that they are supposed to have taken some kind of oath, about celibacy, worldly goods and possessions etc etc, your average Joe public farang has not has he ?

3 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I get what you are saying, but my beef with these guys is that they are supposed to have taken some kind of oath, about celibacy, worldly goods and possessions etc etc, your average Joe public farang has not has he ?

My point was that just because there are some bad Monks, that doesnt mean that they are all bad , just like felangs , some are bad, but, they arent all bad

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

My point was that just because there are some bad Monks, that doesnt mean that they are all bad , just like felangs , some are bad, but, they arent all bad

Okay, I'll give you one point for that, meanwhile I firmly believe that there are (percentage wise) more bad monks than bad ferang ???? Lets call it quits now ????

It comes down to ignorance of local customs. Real monks  dont wander about the streets talking to tourists.

They come out after 5 am collect alms from shopkeepers then shuffle back to the temple before 7am. They only come out during the day if running an errand of some kind.The fake monk in the pick up is still in bed with a whore or boy in the morning. Disgusting creeps.Police are useless.

48 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

It comes down to ignorance of local customs. Real monks  dont wander about the streets talking to tourists.

They come out after 5 am collect alms from shopkeepers then shuffle back to the temple before 7am. They only come out during the day if running an errand of some kind.The fake monk in the pick up is still in bed with a whore or boy in the morning. Disgusting creeps.Police are useless.

I don't know where you get that information from.  But around my area the Monks don't go out of the temples much in the mornings.. they blast music and orders out over their speakers and tell people to bring the offerings to them in the temple.

They also set up statues and donation boxes with lots of music and fancy decorations in the back of pickup trucks when the villages have markets on.  They collect money from the people going to the market for building new temple statues, buildings, etc.  This way in the norm where I live... maybe its different up North?  

6 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Like choosing the latest phone at the mall.

On 2/17/2019 at 10:25 AM, jak2002003 said:

I don't know where you get that information from.  But around my area the Monks don't go out of the temples much in the mornings.. they blast music and orders out over their speakers and tell people to bring the offerings to them in the temple.

They also set up statues and donation boxes with lots of music and fancy decorations in the back of pickup trucks when the villages have markets on.  They collect money from the people going to the market for building new temple statues, buildings, etc.  This way in the norm where I live... maybe its different up North?  

Jesus!  Are you serious? Sounds like a fake temple full of <deleted>.

Any farangs among them? Lol

Most real monks do only come out early in the mornings for alms and chanting.

Nowadays there are a lot more cruising around. Probably not supposed to but no-one cares about anything anymore.

I've asked the local Thai's what's he doing, they tell me he lives in a very small temple only 2 or 3 monks and they don't have enough regular customers to help pay the utilities bills or do temple repairs.  I don't doubt them, but still don't like to see them begging for money.  In my opinion, it's not very monk like. 

14 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

I don't doubt them, but still don't like to see them begging for money. 

Not much different from flag days in the UK, local Sainsbury's has always got some old dear waving a collection box in my face for the RSPCA, Life Boat, Helicopter Ambulance, Guide Dogs for the Blind, Salvation Army........ etc, etc. You don't even get a little flag anymore, just a sticker.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:21 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Real or fake, I wouldn't cross the road to wee on one if it was on fire, bunch of thieving, drunk, drug taking, woman / child abusing wasters

You might say the same of the Catholic Church, but you'd be equally wrong, you shouldn't tar them all with the same brush just because of the news headline grabbing bad ones. The media doesn't like good news stories, they don't sell, the public like it violent, sordid and salacious.

Archived