Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 April 2019 23:28
chang50

uk ni contributions

Recommended Posts

Yes and yes in answer to your question.

They normally only allow you to go back 6 years. 

You need 35 years for full pension which isn't great anyway  in comparison to say Germany or the US.

Register your contributions and forecast is all online now You can see as the payments get credited.  They would only allow me to do class 3 not class 2

Still worth it just incase I'm still around at 66

Edited by maprao
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

About 5 years after I started receiving a state pension I had a letter from DWP saying I was short 3 years because I retired early, and would I like to make them up. They pointed out this would be at no cost to me as the back pay more than covered the extra payments, so I jumped at the chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I'm just 40 and only have about 8/9 years NI contributions as I've been here for over 11 years

Any advice on what would be the best course of action?

 

Unless you have other financial arrangements that supercede the need for a full state pension, you would do well to contact the Pension Service (now part of HMRC). They are very helpful, will pull your file and send you an exact printout of what contributions you need to make and when, to bring yourself up to date.

I'd say do it, nobody can foretell the future, but the basic UK pension could prove a useful backstop one day.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Unless you have other financial arrangements that supercede the need for a full state pension, you would do well to contact the Pension Service (now part of HMRC). They are very helpful, will pull your file and send you an exact printout of what contributions you need to make and when, to bring yourself up to date.

I'd say do it, nobody can foretell the future, but the basic UK pension could prove a useful backstop one day.

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Alternatively you can install the HMRC phone app which can generate the code for you rather than receiving it via SMS.

Thanks for the tip about the phone app which I have just installed and set up. Unfortunately I'm dyslexic and a bit of a luddite & haven't yet worked out how to to a pension forcast. Can you/anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks 😊

(I'm 5 years short & would like to pay back @ class 2 rates. They fobbed me off 2 years ago but there's no harm in trying again. Class 3 was a non-starter @ 15 quid per week. I'm almost a decade away from state retirement age with 30 years in the bag)

Edited by evadgib

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Thanks for the tip about the phone app which I have just installed and set up. Unfortunately I'm dyslexic and a bit of a luddite & haven't yet worked out how to to a pension forcast. Can you/anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks 😊

(I'm 5 years short & would like to pay back @ class 2 rates. They fobbed me off 2 years ago but there's no harm in trying again. Class 3 was a non-starter @ 15 quid per week)

https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Thanks for the tip about the phone app which I have just installed and set up. Unfortunately I'm dyslexic and a bit of a luddite & haven't yet worked out how to to a pension forcast. Can you/anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks 😊

(I'm 5 years short & would like to pay back @ class 2 rates. They fobbed me off 2 years ago but there's no harm in trying again. Class 3 was a non-starter @ 15 quid per week. I'm almost a decade away from state retirement age with 30 years in the bag)

If you can pay class 2, which you may not be able to do, you should keep trying. 

 

Even if you can only pay class 3 which is more likely you would be extremely badly advised not to make the payments.

 

The return is about 30% per year for class 3 which is incredibly good and anyone who thinks they can do better is totally delusional. The UK pension is one of the very few things that are extremely good value for money.

 

The non-starter £15 quid a week at current pension levels increases your weekly pension by £4.69 a week so you should have paid it. 

 

If you have a terminal illness then of course you should not make any payment 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/19/2019 at 10:34 AM, evadgib said:

Out of idle curiosity I tried to log in to a gateway account created 2 years ago while in UK but found I was unable to get in. Is this because I hadn't activated my VPN or hadn't used it in a while? I don't have a UK Mob# so doubt if I could easily open a new account.

i get a friend to do it on skype with me, yeah they send you a  stupid  pin  number , lasts about 7 days  i  think.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/16/2019 at 12:17 PM, steve73 said:

They want around 6.2kGBP to cover this shortfall.  The additional pension I will eventually receive (commences in 8 years time) would take c. 3 years to make up that.

But by investing the 6.2k now, I can certainly do better than the extra 40GBP per week I would receive.

So you are saying that with a £6,200 investment now that by 2026 you can generate an annual return of over £2,441. 

 

I think that your are incredibly optimistic, delusional or have no need to collect the pension. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, evadgib said:

So after all that it isn't available via the app?

No. The HMRC app has limited usefulness, as you can see if you install it and register. If you wish to get help with your entitlements, the website I quoted above if your first stop.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So you are saying that with a £6,200 investment now that by 2026 you can generate an annual return of over £2,441. 

 

I think that your are incredibly optimistic, delusional or have no need to collect the pension. 

When I got that forecast in 2017, I made the equivalent investment into a corporate bond that was generating over 10% pa, with a capital growth of a further 50% to 2022.  Yes, I was pretty lucky.... 

I may yet consider making up the shortfall in the future, but my main worry remains whether the state pension will still actually be paid to non-residents in 8 years time which is why I'm delaying my decision.

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

No. The HMRC app has limited usefulness, as you can see if you install it and register. If you wish to get help with your entitlements, the website I quoted above if your first stop.

Appreciated. I have accessed my NI record online. I'm in no hurry to top up the 5 years incase they move the goalposts again but will look at it carefully.

Share this post


Link to post

OP:

It's worth doing. Contact HMRC by phone/Skype:

+441912037010

Hrs:  0800 -1700 GMT

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...