Where can I go?

Thailand Outcast

21 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Yes, but where in these countries?  I do not like to live in a capital cites.  I like the beach, but not a big tourist beach.  Maybe a smaller place with a beach.  I know I am not the only one leaving in the next 12 months.  Where are other people going?  

I’m moving to DaNang myself I’ve been there five times stayed a few months each time, similar size to Chiangmai but it’s got mountains and beaches, cheaper than Thailand and the people are genuinely friendly  THERE I’m going again next month to organize a few things then in a few months hope to move there permanently, You should try short trip there to check it out.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sihanoukville, Cambodia. I'd post a link but don't think it's allowed here. 

"Obtaining a year-long visa is as simple as filling in a form at the airport and then having your passport processed by a local travel agent for the cost of about $285 a year. Unlike other Asian countries there are no hoops to jump or minimum income requirements to fulfil. As long as you can pay your way and respect local culture and laws then you are welcome to spend your retirement in Cambodia."

47 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

I’m moving to DaNang myself I’ve been there five times stayed a few months each time, similar size to Chiangmai but it’s got mountains and beaches, cheaper than Thailand and the people are genuinely friendly  THERE I’m going again next month to organize a few things then in a few months hope to move there permanently, You should try short trip there to check it out.

Just be careful of the UXOs on the secluded beach areas. Yes many mines still present.

21 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

New Jersey has nice beaches and close to NYC if you want city life. 

Grew up in Jersey, 1 hour from the S. Jersey shore but .... As a retiree, I cannot afford to live in the U.S. OK, OK, maybe a rusting trailer in Florida or Arizona....

Boracay, Philippines - now that they've renovated it, it's better than any beach in Thailand, though slightly inconvenient to get to.

Bali, Indonesia - Awesome, not as clean as Boracay is now, but still great and my second favorite beach in SE Asia. Easy to get in and out.

Danang, Vietnam - nice and very cheap. 

Vung Tau, Vietnam - cheap, supposed to be nice now, I haven't been back since the construction that was going on a few years ago. 

Lankawai, Malaysia - nice beach. 

Sihanoukville, Cambodia - Never been but many people seem to like it.

If you want to get out of SE Asia: 

Sousse, Tunisia has an easy retirement program any is just ridiculously cheap. 
Costa Rica is a big retirement country with great beaches.

22 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Yes, but where in these countries?  I do not like to live in a capital cites.  I like the beach, but not a big tourist beach.  Maybe a smaller place with a beach.  I know I am not the only one leaving in the next 12 months.  Where are other people going?  

Google!!

I'll answer your question with a question: What do you like? OR rather what was your motivation for coming to Thailand?

Overall the country that is most closest to matching Thailand is Laos. If you like Thai food, culture, language and friendliness, then it's Laos. But if you like beaches or living in big cities, then obviously Laos is not for you. 

Every country has it's p good points and bad points. When you know what you like, then a decision is easier

37 minutes ago, moto77 said:

Boracay, Philippines - now that they've renovated it, it's better than any beach in Thailand, though slightly inconvenient to get to.

Bali, Indonesia - Awesome, not as clean as Boracay is now, but still great and my second favorite beach in SE Asia. Easy to get in and out.

Danang, Vietnam - nice and very cheap. 

Vung Tau, Vietnam - cheap, supposed to be nice now, I haven't been back since the construction that was going on a few years ago. 

Lankawai, Malaysia - nice beach. 

Sihanoukville, Cambodia - Never been but many people seem to like it.

If you want to get out of SE Asia: 

Sousse, Tunisia has an easy retirement program any is just ridiculously cheap. 
Costa Rica is a big retirement country with great beaches.

Boracay, Philippines used to be nice. But now it’s fully commercialized and simply an overpriced tourist trap. 

That would be one of the last places I would live in the Phil. 

If you search, you can find beaches in the Phil just as beautiful, or even more beautiful, cost much, much less than Boracay, and not yet spoiled by massive tourism and commercialized.  They may be more out of the way... but well worth it.

The sad thing is that in twenty, or thirty or forty years, other people will simply move in, build hotels and resorts and bars, ruining them and turn them into more Boracay type places.

Ecuador.

I have already enquired.

Visa rules for first two years, very easy.

After two years, must have guaranteed, provable income of 900 US dollars a month.

If not, must put 39,000 US dollars in an account, but get 8.5%

If the exchange rate gets any worse, that is where i am going.

No reporting once Visa is got.

Just need to go once a year to show evidence of income.

Free to travel without cancelling visa.

23 hours ago, Chodi25 said:

As an American who lived through the Vietnam war I am not considering that an option based on memories. I have also looked at this hard as a possibility. Cambodia is the easiest option. Specifically Siam Reap which is somewhat like Pattaya going back fifteen years. Cambodia makes long stay easy without all the financial requirements. In the end I have decided just to transfer in enough to meet the 800k requirement and continue living in Thailand, at least for now. I've been here too long to make the move unless I am forced out. I also have family here. If I had to go the best option I have found is Siam Reap Cambodia. It is also very close and a short flight. Tourist town like Pattaya with lots of low rental apartments and houses. Lots of Western food. Cost of living is very low there. 

Look again, Siem Reap beaches are not the best !

15 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

The General will be PM. He has made certain of this.  I don't think there will be change.  He will win and all will be the same.  I am ok with this now.  It is not what I wanted but I can not change it.  I am looking at other places to go to but I asked a question about when people like me can come back on a tourist visa and how many times can we do this?   

Yep for sure. he has already beaten one candidate.

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

Boracay, Philippines used to be nice. But now it’s fully commercialized and simply an overpriced tourist trap. 

That would be one of the last places I would live in the Phil. 

If you search, you can find beaches in the Phil just as beautiful, or even more beautiful, cost much, much less than Boracay, and not yet spoiled by massive tourism and commercialized.  They may be more out of the way... but well worth it.

The sad thing is that in twenty, or thirty or forty years, other people will simply move in, build hotels and resorts and bars, ruining them and turn them into more Boracay type places.

Have you been to Boracay after it was closed down and "rejuvenated" last October?  The idea was to change the things that you complained about.  I, myself, have not been there since. 

On 2/16/2019 at 1:49 PM, neeray said:

I've been to Bali TWICE (the first time and the last time, once in all actually). Really couldn't see any attraction to the place, beach included.

Like Muslim music?

crap

What is the main religion of Indonesia?

The Indonesian Constitution guarantees freedom of religion. However, the government recognises only seven official religions; (Islam, Protestant Christianity, Roman-Catholic Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and the Bahá'í Faith).

On 2/16/2019 at 12:08 AM, jacko45k said:

Cambodia maybe not, Cebu in Philippines but with over 7000 Islands lots of choice, maybe Borocoy. Vietnam, Nha Trang, Da Nang.

I spent time in the Philippines working a few years back. I would think VERY hard about retiring there. It was a very dangerous country while I was there. I cant see it any safer now at all.

18 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I’ve given some thought to this because, as much as I like Thailand, I’d rather move around and not be stuck in one place. 

I suspect you could spend, for example, Jan-Mar and Aug-Oct in Thailand and spend Apr-Jul in Philippines, Cambodia, or Vietnam, and then Nov-Dec back in these countries or somewhere like Bali, before returning to Thailand. So you spend 6 months in Thailand with sufficient gaps not to draw attention to immigration.

Another idea was to get an Ed Visa for six months and live in Thailand June to November, and spend the other six months in a neighbouring country. Advantage is that you could stay anywhere in Thailand outside of the Smokey season ... although that works for me, who has no family ties in Thailand, it may not for others. 

Advantage is that I would not have the hassle of retirement visa or have to buy an elite visa. 

Just a thought. I wonder I feel anyone else has a similar idea?

My experience is to be constantly on the move is not a cheap way to make a living.  If you cannot afford the new Thailand banking requirement then you also cannot afford that kind of travelling living out of a suitcase.  Myself I would try Cambodia or Vietnam first and meet others foreigners there then with time make a decision.

13 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

crap

What is the main religion of Indonesia?

The Indonesian Constitution guarantees freedom of religion. However, the government recognises only seven official religions; (Islam, Protestant Christianity, Roman-Catholic Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and the Bahá'í Faith).

The main religion of Indonesia is Muslim but not in Bali where it is Hinduism.  Although it is not a horrible place, I too am not attracted to Bali.

IMG_0068.JPG

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Grew up in Jersey, 1 hour from the S. Jersey shore but .... As a retiree, I cannot afford to live in the U.S. OK, OK, maybe a rusting trailer in Florida or Arizona....

now I don't know about the US I lived in Thailand for a number of years my wife and I decided to move 

back to my home country Australia a few years ago we got divorced and I now live on my own

I do not have a house witch I lost when I moved to Thailand had my superannuation paid out

and wasted that as well in a business which did not take off but anyway this is beside the point

I live now in a rented 2 bed room unit not far from the city center of  Perth the only income I have

now is my pension I pay rent every 2 weeks have an old car (petrol registration) electricity, food

and so on and every year I still can afford to take a holiday so living back home is not to bad for me

17 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I did not think about this but I read the General will win the election because he has made it that he can not lose.  I am preparing to leave. If it changes I will stay.  I have some time. 

Your preparations to leave don't sound too in depth, you have no idea where to go

and your research amounts from googling beaches on Bali and asking unspecific

questions to strangers on the internet.

If it hasn't been done already, I call troll/click bait.

Archived