BANGKOK 23 July 2019 05:20

47 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

I’m moving to DaNang myself I’ve been there five times stayed a few months each time, similar size to Chiangmai but it’s got mountains and beaches, cheaper than Thailand and the people are genuinely friendly  THERE I’m going again next month to organize a few things then in a few months hope to move there permanently, You should try short trip there to check it out.

Just be careful of the UXOs on the secluded beach areas. Yes many mines still present.

21 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

New Jersey has nice beaches and close to NYC if you want city life. 

Grew up in Jersey, 1 hour from the S. Jersey shore but .... As a retiree, I cannot afford to live in the U.S. OK, OK, maybe a rusting trailer in Florida or Arizona....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Boracay, Philippines - now that they've renovated it, it's better than any beach in Thailand, though slightly inconvenient to get to.

Bali, Indonesia - Awesome, not as clean as Boracay is now, but still great and my second favorite beach in SE Asia. Easy to get in and out.

Danang, Vietnam - nice and very cheap. 

Vung Tau, Vietnam - cheap, supposed to be nice now, I haven't been back since the construction that was going on a few years ago. 

Lankawai, Malaysia - nice beach. 

Sihanoukville, Cambodia - Never been but many people seem to like it.

If you want to get out of SE Asia: 

Sousse, Tunisia has an easy retirement program any is just ridiculously cheap. 
Costa Rica is a big retirement country with great beaches.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gusincebu said:

Though, that Balinese music ( not Muslim ) that you hear at temples and cultural events etc ..is excruciatingly awful !

Do you mean gamalan?  That stuff can be torture!

22 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Yes, but where in these countries?  I do not like to live in a capital cites.  I like the beach, but not a big tourist beach.  Maybe a smaller place with a beach.  I know I am not the only one leaving in the next 12 months.  Where are other people going?  

Google!!

Some people consider Panama, or Equador. Perhaps some areas of India.

Still a few other places to live if Thailand is not available. 

I'll answer your question with a question: What do you like? OR rather what was your motivation for coming to Thailand?

Overall the country that is most closest to matching Thailand is Laos. If you like Thai food, culture, language and friendliness, then it's Laos. But if you like beaches or living in big cities, then obviously Laos is not for you. 

Every country has it's p good points and bad points. When you know what you like, then a decision is easier

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, moto77 said:

Boracay, Philippines - now that they've renovated it, it's better than any beach in Thailand, though slightly inconvenient to get to.

Bali, Indonesia - Awesome, not as clean as Boracay is now, but still great and my second favorite beach in SE Asia. Easy to get in and out.

Danang, Vietnam - nice and very cheap. 

Vung Tau, Vietnam - cheap, supposed to be nice now, I haven't been back since the construction that was going on a few years ago. 

Lankawai, Malaysia - nice beach. 

Sihanoukville, Cambodia - Never been but many people seem to like it.

If you want to get out of SE Asia: 

Sousse, Tunisia has an easy retirement program any is just ridiculously cheap. 
Costa Rica is a big retirement country with great beaches.

Boracay, Philippines used to be nice. But now it’s fully commercialized and simply an overpriced tourist trap. 

That would be one of the last places I would live in the Phil. 

If you search, you can find beaches in the Phil just as beautiful, or even more beautiful, cost much, much less than Boracay, and not yet spoiled by massive tourism and commercialized.  They may be more out of the way... but well worth it.

The sad thing is that in twenty, or thirty or forty years, other people will simply move in, build hotels and resorts and bars, ruining them and turn them into more Boracay type places.

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Like 1

Try hoi an in Vietnam . Pretty quiet place , not much traffic and friendly and not expensive.

Also an estate agent mentioned Taiwan as a place to look into to me the other day but never looked at it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I was thinking about Bali.  They have easy to get long visas but a lot of tourists there. 

Stay away , too many Aussie yobbos on short term holidays.

• Like 2

I have a friend who moved from Thailand to the Sihanoukville area of coastal southern Cambodia.  He tells me that he just loves it there wishing he had gone years ago. Might give it a go myself if i have to leave Thailand.

23 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

New Jersey has nice beaches and close to NYC if you want city life. 

Too many Yanks thanks!