Where can I go?

Thailand Outcast

54 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Have you been to Boracay after it was closed down and "rejuvenated" last October?  The idea was to change the things that you complained about.  I, myself, have not been there since. 

Haven’t been there since “rejuvenated”.   So I have no idea how much or little it might be changed. 

I hope for the better.  Might be going back to the Phil by the end of the year. Have to have triple or quadruple bypass surgery first. Have to survive that and wake up and then heal and get my strength back. 

But I also have friends in Cambodia and Thailand I have to see again also. I promised them. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can not stay in Thailand with the new rules.  I accept this now. I am preparing to leave.  Where can I go that is same same but only a little different?  Where are other people going if they can not stay here? 

1) You can stay here, you just decide you can't due to a specific visa or extension at once. 
2) Nowhere, Thailand is and remains one of a kind. You can find similar prices, weather and nature but that is about it (Laos would be the most similar).
3) Most others simply adjust the visa they are on but I would suggest either Vietnam or Malaysia. Cambodia and Laos are just for holidays.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:28 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

I was thinking about Bali.  They have easy to get long visas but a lot of tourists there. 

There are lots of tourists on Bali, but it is a huge island, so there are  plenty of relatively quiet yet still very nice areas. Cheaper than Bali would be Vietnam :Check out Vung Tau :although a tourist resort, it is mainly for Vietnamese from Saigon on weekends, the rest of the week it is quiet. Nha Thrang is overrun with mainly Russian tourists, further north is the lovely beach city Qui Nhon, as yet undiscovered by Farang tourists

Cebu is a jewel of an island too with plenty of great beaches, but accommodation (hotels is all I know, you might be able to cheaply rent an apartment) is significantly more expensive than Vietnam. 

With Sihanoukville destroyed by the Chinese, there are still Kampot (touristy but still nice) and if you can do without the beach Battambang, or 2 up and coming towns (previously I wouldn't have mentioned them, but just revisited them last week and found that they had improved considerably in terms of dining and shopping) Takeo and Pursat. 

Laos is rarely mentioned because food prices have gone through the roof there during the last decade. 

On 2/16/2019 at 12:00 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

Yes, but where in these countries?  I do not like to live in a capital cites.  I like the beach, but not a big tourist beach.  Maybe a smaller place with a beach.  I know I am not the only one leaving in the next 12 months.  Where are other people going?  

Papua New Guinea lots and lot of beaches.... a little worry about cannibalism but otherwise quiet

1 hour ago, billybog said:

I spent time in the Philippines working a few years back. I would think VERY hard about retiring there. It was a very dangerous country while I was there. I cant see it any safer now at all.

I have been visiting Philippines repeatedly over the last 30 years, bicycling all over the country (except Mindanao) and simply don't see what most people experience :a very dangerous country :I found xenophobic Thailand where I as a farang cyclist encountered frequently verbal and occasionally physical aggression.

Other than the occasional non-violent conman I have not experienced anything untoward :In the PI, never talk/react to any smooth talking stranger that accosts you in the streets. Plenty of tricksters, pickpockets, scam but they rarely turn violent. 

6 hours ago, cnx101 said:

I’m moving to DaNang myself I’ve been there five times stayed a few months each time, similar size to Chiangmai but it’s got mountains and beaches, cheaper than Thailand and the people are genuinely friendly  THERE I’m going again next month to organize a few things then in a few months hope to move there permanently, You should try short trip there to check it out.

What about long stay visa?

On 2/16/2019 at 12:31 PM, Chodi25 said:

As an American who lived through the Vietnam war I am not considering that an option based on memories. I have also looked at this hard as a possibility. Cambodia is the easiest option. Specifically Siam Reap which is somewhat like Pattaya going back fifteen years. Cambodia makes long stay easy without all the financial requirements. In the end I have decided just to transfer in enough to meet the 800k requirement and continue living in Thailand, at least for now. I've been here too long to make the move unless I am forced out. I also have family here. If I had to go the best option I have found is Siam Reap Cambodia. It is also very close and a short flight. Tourist town like Pattaya with lots of low rental apartments and houses. Lots of Western food. Cost of living is very low there. 

£5 for a bottle of Jim Beam when I went about 3 years ago. Cheap as chips. 

Puerto Galera in the Philippines, Nah Trang in Vietnam, Not sure about Cambodia. I was in Sihanoukville about six years ago but I understand thing have changed a great deal there. Out of control Chinese development. Probably still worth checking out the area. Every country Thailand included has its strengths and weaknesses. From language, visa rules, infrastructure, amenities, health care, female companionship. expat community. Your decision will be based on how you prioritize the strengths and shortcomings of each option. There are options, up to you to choose which best suits your needs.

Just spent 10 days in Vung Tau Vietnam! Beautiful city. Reminds me a little of Chiang Mai but with water! Many expats worldwide there. Follow Vung Tau Rider, a Vietnam Vet on Youtube and you get a sense of the city. Stayed 10 nights at a nice little hotel for 124.00. Rented a bike for 7-10.00 a day. Great parks on the water with friendly people and a great grasp of English. 6 seat Captain Chairs Limousines to and from airport for 350,000 VND or 15.00 for two in this case, 2-2.5 hours from HCMC

Did not check on long term visa requirements or medical care while there, however.

The fun part was the biking skills and the ongoing horn blowing!

On 2/16/2019 at 12:00 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

Yes, but where in these countries?  I do not like to live in a capital cites.  I like the beach, but not a big tourist beach.  Maybe a smaller place with a beach.  I know I am not the only one leaving in the next 12 months.  Where are other people going?  

I am booked for Saigon to Quy Nhon the end of this month. 

It was a close choice between Quy Nhon and Hoi An, which is farther North, close to Da Nang. 

Never heard of them? I had not either - which is why they are supposedly not flooded with tourists - until I started to do my research online. 

Lots of info online for you and forums. 

If you need a smaller community, it might be worth it to start at one of these - easy enough to get to from the main cities and find accomodation and get settled and rent/buy a motor vehicle and learn about beach towns that are smaller and more remote and affordable.

Sri Lanka might be worth consideration too - beach towns on the SW coast sheltered from the monsoons. I am waiting though for the political situation to calm down, or for the civil war to start.

3 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

crap

What is the main religion of Indonesia?

The Indonesian Constitution guarantees freedom of religion. However, the government recognises only seven official religions; (Islam, Protestant Christianity, Roman-Catholic Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and the Bahá'í Faith).

Yeah, and people have been sent to jail for openly stating that they were atheists.............. Indonesians MUST have one of these ‘allowed’ religions on their ID. Also Shariah law in some parts. 

High level of religious intolerance - Bali being the exception although the central government doesn’t really like it.

9 hours ago, cnx101 said:

I’m moving to DaNang myself I’ve been there five times stayed a few months each time, similar size to Chiangmai but it’s got mountains and beaches, cheaper than Thailand and the people are genuinely friendly  THERE I’m going again next month to organize a few things then in a few months hope to move there permanently, You should try short trip there to check it out.

I see a lot of people talk about DaNang now.  Photos on internet look good. Some good places to rent there also.  You go there 5 times.  Are you moving there for the new visa rules or you like it more there?  I can fly there easy so I will go there to see myself.  

7 hours ago, moto77 said:

Boracay, Philippines - now that they've renovated it, it's better than any beach in Thailand, though slightly inconvenient to get to.

Bali, Indonesia - Awesome, not as clean as Boracay is now, but still great and my second favorite beach in SE Asia. Easy to get in and out.

Danang, Vietnam - nice and very cheap. 

Vung Tau, Vietnam - cheap, supposed to be nice now, I haven't been back since the construction that was going on a few years ago. 

Lankawai, Malaysia - nice beach. 

Sihanoukville, Cambodia - Never been but many people seem to like it.

If you want to get out of SE Asia: 

Sousse, Tunisia has an easy retirement program any is just ridiculously cheap. 
Costa Rica is a big retirement country with great beaches.

Thank you for these names.  I am researching. 

7 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

I'll answer your question with a question: What do you like? OR rather what was your motivation for coming to Thailand?

Overall the country that is most closest to matching Thailand is Laos. If you like Thai food, culture, language and friendliness, then it's Laos. But if you like beaches or living in big cities, then obviously Laos is not for you. 

Every country has it's p good points and bad points. When you know what you like, then a decision is easier

Laos is locked in by land.  No beach there.  I like near a beach but not a big crazy tourist beach.  I know wherever I go will be different to Thailand.  I accept that. I know every country have some good and bad but I now must also look at the documents I need to live there.  There is a lot of research to do.  I have some time, but the time clock ticks.

Yes because of visa rules but also it is nicer place to be, I have lived here 28 years but we’re only liked for money I know there are some very nice people here but we are not wanted here by the majority, obviously after being here a long time you learn a lot

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Try hoi an in Vietnam . Pretty quiet place , not much traffic and friendly and not expensive.

Also an estate agent mentioned Taiwan as a place to look into to me the other day but never looked at it.

Yes.  Small but near a big tourist beach place with things for expats and a good airport.  This is the type of place I am looking for, and I read before visa in Vietnam is same as Cambodia.  Only need to pay money for the visa.  Nothing more to do.

5 hours ago, billybog said:

I spent time in the Philippines working a few years back. I would think VERY hard about retiring there. It was a very dangerous country while I was there. I cant see it any safer now at all.

I think the new president is fixing this crime problem.  I have not been there in many years.  Maybe someone can say what it is like now. 

5 hours ago, shy coconut said:

If he can't afford Thailand, I reckon that rules out Malaysia!

I can afford to live here, and and live well.  I could get the lump sum they want but it would mean adjusting assets that pay me every month.  I just don't want to do that.  Also, I am changing that asset that pays me good dividend to low interest in a Thai bank.  I understand people should have to show how they can afford to live here but I don't think it's right to use a visa as a carrot to help the Thai banking system.  

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

Why do you not go home.....?. If you are lucky enough to come from a "Nanny " state 

they will take care of you

I don't need to go home.  I can afford to retire in countries in this area.  I have good money from investments every month.  I do not want to change these investments for a lump sum of money that pays nothing to me every month.  They are pushing me to that with threat of no visa.  I will move.  I do not need to do as they say.  I will come back as much as possible on tourist visas until they stop me doing that.   

15 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I don't need to go home.  I can afford to retire in countries in this area.  I have good money from investments every month.  I do not want to change these investments for a lump sum of money that pays nothing to me every month.  They are pushing me to that with threat of no visa.  I will move.  I do not need to do as they say.  I will come back as much as possible on tourist visas until they stop me doing that.   

Your making good money from an 800k baht investment ? LOL . I must be the only one on TV who isnt making a killing investing small amounts of money ????

Is this the first time you heard about 800k for visa?

Archived