Where can I go?

Thailand Outcast

5 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Your preparations to leave don't sound too in depth, you have no idea where to go

and your research amounts from googling beaches on Bali and asking unspecific

questions to strangers on the internet.

If it hasn't been done already, I call troll/click bait.

I have traveled around countries in this area but I have never lived in them.  When I went there I stayed in nice hotels in the tourist area.  I did not see a need to go to the expat areas.  Now I have that need and this website is for me to ask for some experiences of other people on expat places, not tourist places. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I have traveled around countries in this area but I have never lived in them.  When I went there I stayed in nice hotels in the tourist area.  I did not see a need to go to the expat areas.  Now I have that need and this website is for me to ask for some experiences of other people on expat places, not tourist places. 

Only a few ex-pats have gone native the vast majority live in what you call 'tourist' areas.

4 hours ago, tabarin said:

1) You can stay here, you just decide you can't due to a specific visa or extension at once. 
2) Nowhere, Thailand is and remains one of a kind. You can find similar prices, weather and nature but that is about it (Laos would be the most similar).
3) Most others simply adjust the visa they are on but I would suggest either Vietnam or Malaysia. Cambodia and Laos are just for holidays.

It is true.  I decide I do not want to pay for the new Thailand visa rule.  I accept that.  I do not not complain.  From my research Vietnam and Malaysia look fine.   I would like more information on Philippines and maybe a more quiet area in Bali.   

4 hours ago, thecyclist said:

There are lots of tourists on Bali, but it is a huge island, so there are  plenty of relatively quiet yet still very nice areas. Cheaper than Bali would be Vietnam :Check out Vung Tau :although a tourist resort, it is mainly for Vietnamese from Saigon on weekends, the rest of the week it is quiet. Nha Thrang is overrun with mainly Russian tourists, further north is the lovely beach city Qui Nhon, as yet undiscovered by Farang tourists

Cebu is a jewel of an island too with plenty of great beaches, but accommodation (hotels is all I know, you might be able to cheaply rent an apartment) is significantly more expensive than Vietnam. 

With Sihanoukville destroyed by the Chinese, there are still Kampot (touristy but still nice) and if you can do without the beach Battambang, or 2 up and coming towns (previously I wouldn't have mentioned them, but just revisited them last week and found that they had improved considerably in terms of dining and shopping) Takeo and Pursat. 

Laos is rarely mentioned because food prices have gone through the roof there during the last decade. 

I read a bank account is hard to get in Bali.  Do you know about this?

3 hours ago, malibukid said:

Bali is beautiful. people very friendly and currently a great exchange rate.  actual surf vs. Thailands fake waves, which are crap. stay away from the tourist zones ez.  better restaurants and food markets in general. 

Do you have some links for places and accommodation outside of the big tourist places there?  Of course I google but there are so many.  Can you narrow the selection for me please?

16 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

It is true.  I decide I do not want to pay for the new Thailand visa rule.  I accept that.  I do not not complain.  From my research Vietnam and Malaysia look fine.   I would like more information on Philippines and maybe a more quiet area in Bali.   

Check out the new Philippines immigration reform act

some of the interesting bits 

deported for being rude to an official

deported for getting caught with a hooker

5 YEARS JAIL for lying to immigration...even if you made an hones mistake they can start extortion

second last point. they talking cash bonds for long term visa...oops imagine that 

Have a good trip and dont forget to keep us all updated

● Exit Clearance will now be required after 60 days - [MTV] Essentially if you stay in country for > 60 days you need Tax Clearance before you can leave, even if leaving for a holiday - IIRC this is currently 6 Months 
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will be cancelled on divorce, relationship abandonment, or failure to provide support for Filipino spouse and family(does not disclose as what extent of her existing family). - [MTV] Scary  
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will cancelled if outside the Philippines more than 1 year. 
● Foreigners will no longer be allowed to establish any type of business under a visitor visa.- [MTV] One of the major selling points of PI over TH 
● New visa applicants will be required to have a physical and mental evaluation prior to getting an immigrant visa. - [MTV] Speechless 
● Entry into the Philippines will be denied for those believed to arriving for the purpose of getting prostitutes or showing "disrespect" to any government official or employee. - [MTV] Some may guffaw at this but anybody who's visited the Philippines for the past 10+ years can tell you about clampdowns in Manila & (especially) Cebu  
● Deportable offenses: engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude" .- [MTV] Speechless 
● Foreigners must register within 60 days of arrival and update any changes in said registration within 7 days. - [MTV] TM30/TM28 anybody? 
● Also states that the immigration agency can start requiring cash bonds on demand to ensure immigration adherence. Provision perhaps for longer stays?- [MTV] at the moment the only cash requirement outside of visa expenses is if you go for an SRRV Visa, this sounds more like they're going to want to see Funds in the Bank for people who are staying longer on any kind of basis 
● Imprisonment offences of not less than 5 years: falsely claiming to be a Filipino citizen, pretending to be someone else or using false documents, making a false statement in any immigration matter,

3 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

I think what is sad is 1000s will leave and thousands of condos will go unrented Then the market becomes unstable Rents will surely go down If enought go unrented then there may be a condo crisis

This whole visa thing was not thought out at all

I rent a nice apartment not far from the beach.  I have been in this place a long time.  I am never late to pay the rent.  It was working well fo me and the owner of the apartment.  You are correct, this will make a problem for the owner looking to find a new tenant.  Who will replace me?  There are already many places with no tenant.  This is their problem.  I have my own problems now.  I did not cause this.  With military man in control, no one will be accountable for property slump here and it shows Thailand in not stable when crazy ideas like this can happen.      

3 hours ago, sledpull said:

Just spent 10 days in Vung Tau Vietnam! Beautiful city. Reminds me a little of Chiang Mai but with water! Many expats worldwide there. Follow Vung Tau Rider, a Vietnam Vet on Youtube and you get a sense of the city. Stayed 10 nights at a nice little hotel for 124.00. Rented a bike for 7-10.00 a day. Great parks on the water with friendly people and a great grasp of English. 6 seat Captain Chairs Limousines to and from airport for 350,000 VND or 15.00 for two in this case, 2-2.5 hours from HCMC

Did not check on long term visa requirements or medical care while there, however.

The fun part was the biking skills and the ongoing horn blowing!

Thank you.  i like the idea of the country town feeling but with a beach.  This is what I m looking for.  Which country it is in is not so important.   

58 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

Yes because of visa rules but also it is nicer place to be, I have lived here 28 years but we’re only liked for money I know there are some very nice people here but we are not wanted here by the majority, obviously after being here a long time you learn a lot

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

and the customer service sucks here as well, try ordering something a Tops, lol

32 minutes ago, madmen said:

Your making good money from an 800k baht investment ? LOL . I must be the only one on TV who isnt making a killing investing small amounts of money ????

Is this the first time you heard about 800k for visa?

The 800k is part of a comprehensive and diversified investment portfolio that I do not want to change just to inject cash to the Thai banking system.  The Thailand government raised the stakes and I folded the cards.  I did not play the game on.  Simple.  At  first I was angry.  Then disappointed.  Then accepted.  Now excited for the change.  But look to ideas here to narrow my exploration for my next environment to live.

3 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

I think what is sad is 1000s will leave and thousands of condos will go unrented Then the market becomes unstable Rents will surely go down If enought go unrented then there may be a condo crisis

This whole visa thing was not thought out at all

bahahah how could you write that with a straight face ? so some punters who fiddled the system telling porkies on stat decs are to poor to live here now and their 4 k fan rooms will hit the market causing a collapse of the thai condo market ?

stop it your killing me ????????

3 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

The 800k is part of a comprehensive and diversified investment portfolio that I do not want to change just to inject cash to the Thai banking system.  The Thailand government raised the stakes and I folded the cards.  I did not play the game on.  Simple.  At  first I was angry.  Then disappointed.  Then accepted.  Now excited for the change.  But look to ideas here to narrow my exploration for my next environment to live.

whats wrong with the 65k monthly income method

17 minutes ago, madmen said:

Check out the new Philippines immigration reform act

some of the interesting bits 

deported for being rude to an official

deported for getting caught with a hooker

5 YEARS JAIL for lying to immigration...even if you made an hones mistake they can start extortion

second last point. they talking cash bonds for long term visa...oops imagine that 

Have a good trip and dont forget to keep us all updated

● Exit Clearance will now be required after 60 days - [MTV] Essentially if you stay in country for > 60 days you need Tax Clearance before you can leave, even if leaving for a holiday - IIRC this is currently 6 Months 
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will be cancelled on divorce, relationship abandonment, or failure to provide support for Filipino spouse and family(does not disclose as what extent of her existing family). - [MTV] Scary  
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will cancelled if outside the Philippines more than 1 year. 
● Foreigners will no longer be allowed to establish any type of business under a visitor visa.- [MTV] One of the major selling points of PI over TH 
● New visa applicants will be required to have a physical and mental evaluation prior to getting an immigrant visa. - [MTV] Speechless 
● Entry into the Philippines will be denied for those believed to arriving for the purpose of getting prostitutes or showing "disrespect" to any government official or employee. - [MTV] Some may guffaw at this but anybody who's visited the Philippines for the past 10+ years can tell you about clampdowns in Manila & (especially) Cebu  
● Deportable offenses: engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude" .- [MTV] Speechless 
● Foreigners must register within 60 days of arrival and update any changes in said registration within 7 days. - [MTV] TM30/TM28 anybody? 
● Also states that the immigration agency can start requiring cash bonds on demand to ensure immigration adherence. Provision perhaps for longer stays?- [MTV] at the moment the only cash requirement outside of visa expenses is if you go for an SRRV Visa, this sounds more like they're going to want to see Funds in the Bank for people who are staying longer on any kind of basis 
● Imprisonment offences of not less than 5 years: falsely claiming to be a Filipino citizen, pretending to be someone else or using false documents, making a false statement in any immigration matter,

There are many many expats in the Philippines.  i  sometimes read on the news one is arrested, but it is for molesting a child.  The rest must be living there without problems.  I laugh at the deporting for being with a hooker.  In Thailand prostitution is illegal.  I'm sure it's the same small risk as here. 

Just now, madmen said:

whats wrong with the 65k monthly income method

This is a good question.  Now there are no letters from embassies, people must use their bank account.  This is no problem for me.  Now I read some officers are not accepting bank account papers.  So many different interpretations of rules here. Maybe it is best to not renew my visa and leave, and come back when dust settles. This way I can plan my exit, not get a bad stamp in my passport giving me 7 days to leave.   

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

bahahah how could you write that with a straight face ? so some punters who fiddled the system telling porkies on stat decs are to poor to live here now and their 4 k fan rooms will hit the market causing a collapse of the thai condo market ?

stop it your killing me ????????

I don't care about the condo market here but you use the word some.  I think it will be many, unless they purposely invent a corrupt way for them to stay.

9 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Grew up in Jersey, 1 hour from the S. Jersey shore but .... As a retiree, I cannot afford to live in the U.S. OK, OK, maybe a rusting trailer in Florida or Arizona....

How is it millions of American retiree's can live in America and afford it but not you?

35 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

There are many many expats in the Philippines.  i  sometimes read on the news one is arrested, but it is for molesting a child.  The rest must be living there without problems.  I laugh at the deporting for being with a hooker.  In Thailand prostitution is illegal.  I'm sure it's the same small risk as here. 

Big difference. In Thailand its illegal but not written into the immigration reform act..You will not get deported

Your biggest concern is cash bonds for retirement. Your eventually going to have to pull apart your portfolio doesn't matter where you go. To put yourself through so much stress just to save the returns on your 800k portion of western money is totally crazy. Everybody needs to make a sacrifice of some sort to be here and yours is such a small amount

besides after 5 months you can return 400k back into your investments 

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:08 PM, jacko45k said:

Cambodia maybe not, Cebu in Philippines but with over 7000 Islands lots of choice, maybe Borocoy. Vietnam, Nha Trang, Da Nang.

I agree, try the philippines if you love the beaches. So many island that you can find areas that suits your taste.  You can check the country yourself  easily as you can live there on renewing you tourist visa for 3 years.  Every 60 days your show up at any Immigration office , you pay  the fee and that is all. No TM 30, no 90 days, no need to prove income. If you like the place they also have a few different retirement visa available.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:28 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

I was thinking about Bali.  They have easy to get long visas but a lot of tourists there. 

Lots  of Muslims there .   Ok for a few short times.. 

34 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I don't care about the condo market here but you use the word some.  I think it will be many, unless they purposely invent a corrupt way for them to stay.

I see some making many posts across all the forums. The same 20 posters posting 500 times does not equal 1000 people

5 minutes ago, madmen said:

Big difference. In Thailand its illegal but not written into the immigration reform act..You will not get deported

Your biggest concern is cash bonds for retirement. Your eventually going to have to pull apart your portfolio doesn't matter where you go. To put yourself through so much stress just to save the returns on your western money is totally crazy. Everybody needs to make a sacrifice of some sort to be here and yours is such a small amount

I thought engaging with a prostitute was a criminal offense in Thailand, and if you were caught, you were charged, and when charged, you were found guilty, and then because you have criminal record in Thailand, you were deported.  

I could sell off some things and make it happen, but no way I would sell off any of the property attached to the portfolio, just for this.  I just don't want to be forced into injecting cash into the Thai banking system, and that's what they are doing.  Using foreigners to capitalize their banks.  I say now to be clear.  I am not complaining I have to leave.  I am prepared to leave and will not bend to their demands. I do not stand on any moral or ethical high ground with this way.  Everyone is different.  I just don't like how they are trying to manipulate my personal finances.

To be funny, I have a credit card with a limit more than 800k.   I could even deposit the 800k with my credit card.  I don't say this to tell everyone I am rich.  I say this because not everyone choosing to leave is poor or can't afford to live here anymore. Of course, many will leave because of money problems.

One person talked about the property market.  Another thing will be be overstaying people.  They will probably go up 500%.  That's a lot of resources used up catching them, or the numbers are so big they give up. Then those people live here under no rules, and should they ever get caught, they get deported and go to a country they were being forced to go to anyway.  

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Your making good money from an 800k baht investment ? LOL . I must be the only one on TV who isnt making a killing investing small amounts of money ????

Is this the first time you heard about 800k for visa?

One can make decent returns, just not in simple savings accounts in big banks.

1 hour ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Do you have some links for places and accommodation outside of the big tourist places there?  Of course I google but there are so many.  Can you narrow the selection for me please?

Your home country would be happy to have you back; they will make all of your decisions for you.  And take all of your resources in exchange.  "Narrow... for me please", really?

There are specialized search engines that work well, but aren't Gooogle.  PM for details.

It's disheartening to hear of so many people leaving, either because they can't deposit the money or they just don't agree with it in principle. Do you think that the government (or military, whatever) is doing this purposefully to get foreigners to leave, or are they just doing it to protect the country and it's citizens, by keeping 'undesirables' out?

If the motive for complicating visa issues for long-stay foreigners is xenophobia, that could be extremely concerning.

Archived