BANGKOK

54 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Have you been to Boracay after it was closed down and "rejuvenated" last October?  The idea was to change the things that you complained about.  I, myself, have not been there since. 

Haven’t been there since “rejuvenated”.   So I have no idea how much or little it might be changed. 

I hope for the better.  Might be going back to the Phil by the end of the year. Have to have triple or quadruple bypass surgery first. Have to survive that and wake up and then heal and get my strength back. 

But I also have friends in Cambodia and Thailand I have to see again also. I promised them. 

On 2/16/2019 at 12:17 PM, Olmate said:

Laos and  Myanmar are rarely mentioned?

Because the are still too undeveloped.

• Like 2

I can not stay in Thailand with the new rules.  I accept this now. I am preparing to leave.  Where can I go that is same same but only a little different?  Where are other people going if they can not stay here? 

1) You can stay here, you just decide you can't due to a specific visa or extension at once. 
2) Nowhere, Thailand is and remains one of a kind. You can find similar prices, weather and nature but that is about it (Laos would be the most similar).
3) Most others simply adjust the visa they are on but I would suggest either Vietnam or Malaysia. Cambodia and Laos are just for holidays.

Edited by tabarin

1 hour ago, billybog said:

I spent time in the Philippines working a few years back. I would think VERY hard about retiring there. It was a very dangerous country while I was there. I cant see it any safer now at all.

I have been visiting Philippines repeatedly over the last 30 years, bicycling all over the country (except Mindanao) and simply don't see what most people experience :a very dangerous country :I found xenophobic Thailand where I as a farang cyclist encountered frequently verbal and occasionally physical aggression.

Other than the occasional non-violent conman I have not experienced anything untoward :In the PI, never talk/react to any smooth talking stranger that accosts you in the streets. Plenty of tricksters, pickpockets, scam but they rarely turn violent. 

• Like 1

In the Philippines Baguio city is in the mountains. Cool in the summer and very nice in the winter

6 hours ago, cnx101 said:

I’m moving to DaNang myself I’ve been there five times stayed a few months each time, similar size to Chiangmai but it’s got mountains and beaches, cheaper than Thailand and the people are genuinely friendly  THERE I’m going again next month to organize a few things then in a few months hope to move there permanently, You should try short trip there to check it out.

What about long stay visa?

Check Vietnam visa depends nationality

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 2/16/2019 at 12:31 PM, Chodi25 said:

As an American who lived through the Vietnam war I am not considering that an option based on memories. I have also looked at this hard as a possibility. Cambodia is the easiest option. Specifically Siam Reap which is somewhat like Pattaya going back fifteen years. Cambodia makes long stay easy without all the financial requirements. In the end I have decided just to transfer in enough to meet the 800k requirement and continue living in Thailand, at least for now. I've been here too long to make the move unless I am forced out. I also have family here. If I had to go the best option I have found is Siam Reap Cambodia. It is also very close and a short flight. Tourist town like Pattaya with lots of low rental apartments and houses. Lots of Western food. Cost of living is very low there. 

£5 for a bottle of Jim Beam when I went about 3 years ago. Cheap as chips. 

Bali is beautiful. people very friendly and currently a great exchange rate.  actual surf vs. Thailands fake waves, which are crap. stay away from the tourist zones ez.  better restaurants and food markets in general. 

• Like 1

I think what is sad is 1000s will leave and thousands of condos will go unrented Then the market becomes unstable Rents will surely go down If enought go unrented then there may be a condo crisis

This whole visa thing was not thought out at all

• Like 1

Puerto Galera in the Philippines, Nah Trang in Vietnam, Not sure about Cambodia. I was in Sihanoukville about six years ago but I understand thing have changed a great deal there. Out of control Chinese development. Probably still worth checking out the area. Every country Thailand included has its strengths and weaknesses. From language, visa rules, infrastructure, amenities, health care, female companionship. expat community. Your decision will be based on how you prioritize the strengths and shortcomings of each option. There are options, up to you to choose which best suits your needs.

Just spent 10 days in Vung Tau Vietnam! Beautiful city. Reminds me a little of Chiang Mai but with water! Many expats worldwide there. Follow Vung Tau Rider, a Vietnam Vet on Youtube and you get a sense of the city. Stayed 10 nights at a nice little hotel for 124.00. Rented a bike for 7-10.00 a day. Great parks on the water with friendly people and a great grasp of English. 6 seat Captain Chairs Limousines to and from airport for 350,000 VND or 15.00 for two in this case, 2-2.5 hours from HCMC

Did not check on long term visa requirements or medical care while there, however.

The fun part was the biking skills and the ongoing horn blowing!

• Like 2