Thai honesty: Truck driver returns 20,000 baht to Californian tourist

rooster59

Thai honesty: Truck driver returns 20,000 baht to Californian tourist

อเกแด-696x382.jpg

Image: Chiang Mai News

Chiang Mai News reported on a feel good story from Thailand's north after a truck-trailer driver found a tourist's wallet in Mae Rim. 

Yongyuth Haikaew, 58, had no hesitation in handing the wallet - containing 20,000 baht and other important possessions - in to the Mae Rim police.

He said he found the wallet while out exercising on his bicycle and hoped that his actions would bring good feelings to the tourist area of Mae Rim. 

A passport card found in the wallet indicated it belonged to Sarah Bernice Porter, 37, from California. 

Chiang Mai News said that the possessions had been returned to the tourist. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-16

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Well you have to give T.AT. credit for finding a new way of making publicity.

Change from the honest taxi driver nonsense, no its truck drivers.

Killing 2 birds with one stone as the truck drivers need some good publicity to after all the failed brake stories. Next time it'll be a speedboat captain returning cash.

1 hour ago, anterian said:

what is a passport card?

Gee, anterian, your computer must not have come loaded with Google:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html

Since the person who lost her wallet is from California, perhaps she makes trips into Mexico from time-to-time and a passport card is easier to carry than a passport book.  Also, some states continue to issue drivers licenses that aren't "Real ID" compliant which means that the holder of that DL can't use the DL as ID for air travel within the U.S.  The solution is to obtain a passport card from the federal Dept of State.  Cheaper than a passport book.

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html

Since the person who lost her wallet is from California, perhaps she makes trips into Mexico from time-to-time and a passport card is easier to carry than a passport book.  Also, some states continue to issue drivers licenses that aren't "Real ID" compliant which means that the holder of that DL can't use the DL as ID for air travel within the U.S.  The solution is to obtain a passport card from the federal Dept of State.  Cheaper than a passport book.

It's good to have if someplace insists on two-forms of photo ID.  Worth the extra $30 when you renew your passport even if you never plan to use it for re-entering the US from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean.

I remember getting my Driver's License in Florida and they were asking for such things.  Used both my passport (book) and passport card.  Note: the passport number is not the same as the passport card number.

2 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Meanwhile today in Chiang Mai, today 27 foreigners have lost their life savings to scamming wives/girlfriends..kinda puts somchais gesture into perspective 

Naturally you can name all 27 as they are friends of yours.

Kinda puts your post into perspective too.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:22 PM, NancyL said:

No computer comes loaded with Google, maybe you mean loaded with a browser and bookmarks to the usual sites including some search engines. Anyway thanks for the clarification, I also didn't know what is a passport card, frankly I would never have searched for that as I assumed it was another way of saying passport.

btw, here in Thailand for normal checks I just carry a a scan of my passport in my phone. Except that often I don't have the phone with me ????

16 hours ago, Ramdas said:

That can’t ???? be right, their appear to be the same race group, might well be friends ?! I have a hard time to believe Thais honesty ????

I believe it because over the years I have left several times my scooter, worth well more than that, with the keys inside the ignition for hours at the mall or even overnight some place, and I have always found it there. At least speaking of CM.

I think they first took a picture when the guy went to the police station, that's a policeman. Then they located the owner. I hope she was fair enough to give him a reward.

Archived