Holding the balance: Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1

8 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

So you’re actually saying that the new rule is in force immediately.  On that basis someone whose extension was done in say August 2018 and needs to renew in August 2019 wouldn’t be able to get their extension done with monthly transfers

No, there is an accommodation (leniency) for those who renew prior to Jan 2020, but after that a full 12 months is specified.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Xenophobic.

This is a very common word that is used in this forum by Westerners to accuse the Thai immigration laws. 

can any one  Western expert give an example where a Thai (or any other undeveloped 3rd country national ) could just walk in to their country? Do they know the meaning of that word? Or are they drunk or under some influence of a drug? 

There Ard millions of foreigners in Thailand.  Does your home country have that much?

Have a look at forums like TVF created by foreigners for foreigners in Thailand.  What about your home country?

Aren't these a bunch of shameless losers who are living in Thailand and bashing everything and anything Thai? 

who is xenophobic? 

who is racist? 

Have a good look in the mirror! 

Disgusting,  isn't it? 

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Changing from 3 months to 12 months is not minor. How exactly this will be policed and the result if one fails for one day in 365 may well not be minor!

There is also impact on those using combination method that even now are unclear, you choose to completely ignore that. 

I don't know if or what the changes are in the income/combination method and if it is the fault of Thai Immigration or the 4 lazy embassies.  Since I feel any prudent person would have 65k coming in monthly or 800k yearly I don't see a 3 to 12 month change as major because you need at least 800k in the bank all the time to be secure - in my opinion. 

It is my understand that in America most people have one month's salary in the bank or close to it which is about 200,000 baht.  I would also say that is not enough.  And if it is not enough for your home country it is certainly not enough in a foreign land. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, merijn said:

So far it is explained to me is that in case you have a income certificate from the Embassy / Consul the pension, the normal supporting papers are enough (same as before) and the money deposits conformation are not required.

The money deposit proof for the 12 months are only required for the countries which don't supply the income certificate anymore.

merijn. I allow me to ask you if its Immigration in Phuket and the officers at room 103 which take care of retirement extensions who have explained that to you or the populist report in Phuket News? IMO when reading "between the lines" in the Phuket News report it clearly shines through that more than a income letter will be demanded but to write that in a report will of course not be correct after the main Police order either will it be popular.

53 minutes ago, ravip said:

Xenophobic.

There Ard millions of foreigners in Thailand.  Does your home country have that much?

Disgusting,  isn't it? 

1] yes, millions, and everyone gets 50k baht/month upon entering the kingdom, plus starting package for furnitures/car/etc, plus of course free education

and a solid pension

2] yes disgusting,

but i wouldnt mind in the slightest if they fed them self and paid their expenses,

in fact i think they should be forced to pay for them self first five years, including hospital, before being covered by tax money

Edited by brokenbone

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:
1 hour ago, JingjoDave said:

Here in Sydney We play a game called " spot the aussie" . rarer than a virgin bar-girl ????

bit like London or Birmingham in the UK

And Bradford, Wolverhampton, West Bromwich and Leicester to name four more.

I am constantly amazed but somehow not surprised that we farangs have to front up 4 to 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and make sure that it does not drop below 400,000 and on top we have to have 65,000baht transferred every month for living costs when the Thai government give just 500baht pension every month to a Thai person.

one wonders if this is not unmitigated proof that they consider us to be nothing more than buffalo’s or cash cows.

Many farangs own there own homes bought and paid for so 65,000 to my mind is a bit over the top.

whilst I am lucky in that it is not a problem for me I do think it is unfair on many especially now that exchange rate are so poor.

I am constantly amazed but somehow not surprised that we farangs have to front up 4 to 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and make sure that it does not drop below 400,000 and on top we have to have 65,000baht transferred every month for living costs when the Thai government give just 500baht pension every month to a Thai person.

one wonders if this is not unmitigated proof that they consider us to be nothing more than buffalo’s or cash cows.

Many farangs own there own homes bought and paid for so 65,000 to my mind is a bit over the top.

whilst I am lucky in that it is not a problem for me I do think it is unfair on many especially now that exchange rate are so poor.

I would be amazed too if what you said is true. But actually, if you can front up 4-800,000, then you don’t need to show a monthly income of 65,000

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was at Phuket immigration earlier this week and they refused my extension (based on marriage) on the basis that the letter of income from the embassy was 'not valid'. I showed them police reports, and the latest statement from the Phuket news that stated otherwise, but to no avail

The IO spoke to a senior IO first before telling me this, I then mentioned it to a volunteer who then went back and spoke to same senior IO (a woman from had yai), and I was told that NO letters from the embassy are being now accepted at Phuket for marriage extension OR retirement

34 minutes ago, khastan said:

This is the main problem. No two Immigration offices or even two immigration officers in the same building work to the same official rules that are supposedly laid down in black and white by the management, so what chance have we got.

This is true, it's no big deal really, as I simply carry on getting 15 months off a year visa, and I tend to take trips out of Thailand 2 or 3 times a year on holiday to coincide with my 90 day runs, it's just frustrating that you have all the correct paperwork, are married with 3 kids here but still can't extend!!…..TIT.

1 hour ago, PST said:

I was at Phuket immigration earlier this week and they refused my extension (based on marriage) on the basis that the letter of income from the embassy was 'not valid'. I showed them police reports, and the latest statement from the Phuket news that stated otherwise, but to no avail

The IO spoke to a senior IO first before telling me this, I then mentioned it to a volunteer who then went back and spoke to same senior IO (a woman from had yai), and I was told that NO letters from the embassy are being now accepted at Phuket for marriage extension OR retirement

That’s very bad news, and from Phuket where I thought they were a stickler for doing it by the book...And still several months to run on issued letters , maybe contact local consulate for comment?

57 minutes ago, PST said:

This is true, it's no big deal really, as I simply carry on getting 15 months off a year visa, and I tend to take trips out of Thailand 2 or 3 times a year on holiday to coincide with my 90 day runs, it's just frustrating that you have all the correct paperwork, are married with 3 kids here but still can't extend!!…..TIT.

Your very forgiving! Just illustrates how reliable not the good for 6 months crap was!

23 hours ago, fabman5 said:

can somebody please confirm,  I have a proof of monthly income letter,  from the British Embassy,  Got in December,  I was told this would be valid for 6 months, My current visa runs out in March. Am I still going to be able to use this letter to renew my visa?  Thanks for any advice 

No.

A local immigration office today said that they will not accept them after 1st March.

2 hours ago, PST said:

As thought....here????

On 2/17/2019 at 4:37 PM, sfokevin said:

Yes they will be accepted but one could read the Phuket’s latest “clarification” to mean that in addition to the embassy letter you will need to submit additional proof being a bank statements/bankbook (Presumably Thai) showing the 65k coming into Thailand...

Of course any financial statements from banks and copies of bankbook records proving this income already being received should be provided”

If this is true the affidavit is essentially useless... :coffee1:

As best as I recall, the Phuket article and such never actually said THAI bank books or bank statements, it just said bank statements and bank books as supporting evidence.

On its face, that would seem to suggest that they'd accept home country bank books and statements. But given this is Thai Immigration, I seriously doubt that is the case, and instead, just chalk it up to more inaccurate and imprecise reporting by the local media on stuff they really don't understand in the first place.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pontious said:

@ubonjoe - what do you suggest they do?

The new rules that start on March 1st have nothing to with the income option. The order issued on December 21st states they are still allowed.

Calling 1178 might get some results.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Both

But that might only be needed as back up proof if a person has proof of income from their embassy.

Joe, is this what you're saying/meaning above re the new financials for retirement extensions?

--If the applicant is relying on an Embassy income letter to prove their 65K baht monthly income, they might well expect Immigration to also want to see some source documentation regarding that income. But they're not required to show proof of deposits into a Thai bank account when they have an Embassy letter.

--But if the applicant is among those who no longer has access to Embassy income letters and is instead depositing the funds into a Thai bank account monthly as the alternative, then the Thai bank book and supporting letter generally ought to suffice.

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As best as I recall, the Phuket article and such never actually said THAI bank books or bank statements, it just said bank statements and bank books as supporting evidence.

On its face, that would seem to suggest that they'd accept home country bank books and statements. But given this is Thai Immigration, I seriously doubt that is the case, and instead, just chalk it up to more inaccurate and imprecise reporting by the local media on stuff they really don't understand in the first place.

I already think I hear it....okay embassy letter, updated bankbook, bank letter.......no 800K...yes but Police order say can use proof...hereafter It will be only A.........????????????????

Edited by Felt 35

8 hours ago, merijn said:

So far it is explained to me is that in case you have a income certificate from the Embassy / Consul the pension, the normal supporting papers are enough (same as before) and the money deposits conformation are not required.

The money deposit proof for the 12 months are only required for the countries which don't supply the income certificate anymore.

That's what I thought also!