Jump to content
BANGKOK 27 March 2019 07:32
Jonathan Fairfield

Holding the balance: Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, nasa123 said:

No one need Embassy/Consulate letter no more in Phuket, that what Phuket Immigration says.

According to the US Embassy Immigration said the Income Affadavit will be valid for 6 months from issue date. I’m only

relaying what I’ve read and was told at the Embassy.

 

Just read through the entire article and it suggests different types 

of Visa for those with Thai family / supporting a Thai family.

 

Also anyone living here full time 1998 and prior requirements stay 

the same as when got their first visa / or extensions.

 

Article suggests going to your local immigration office and see what is offered and Best suits you. 

 

We have a wealth of visa/extension to stay on TV. Hopefully for those who want to stay can find a suitable fit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peter14 said:

Cambodia...is getting richer by the days. Happier there.  No one really care about Visa ither there and it's much cheaper     Gave up on Thailand long ago ....

My own theory as to why rules are being tightened, is that the expat resident population has exploded in the last 15 years. Go anywhere in Thailand now and there will be foreigners. Go to any small village and there will be some foreigner living not too far away. In the 90's it was rare to see foreigners in the cities of Esaan, now there are many.

Immigration are just culling the herd by trying to keep the richest ones, the ones that have the least chance of being a burden on the State.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By emphasizing " Financial procedures " ..... the average pensioners on " fixed income " will lose and must leave the Kingdom .

ANY CRIMINAL - will be able to play with rules and come up with ANY AMOUNT REQUIRED as deposit or better , they can just buy the THAILAND ELITE CARD and live happily ever after here .

Maybe this group is the prime objective of this policy.

Those formulating this policy are out of touch with reality of how pensioners from Western Europe & North America live their lifes.

Might as well make a new regulation that each person who apply for long term stay must DEPOSIT

THB 10,000,000.- in a THAI Bank to cover possible medical emergencies  ?

Kick out all PENSIONERS on ( minimum ) fixed income .... maybe we should move to Laos & Cambodia .

But we choose Thailand - because we like it here .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Edited by kg1947
additional text
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 1:34 PM, smedly said:

well that's cleared that up - not

 

I am under 60yo and have been using the 800k balance for the last 5 years so do the new rules apply to me or not

 

more confusion


If you've been using the 800K balance just keep using it.   How is that confusing?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

thanks, I hope you are right. But as usual it may depend on the individual officer's interpretation.

I plan to use embassy letter + updated bankbook and a bank letter which confirm the amount coming in monthly. Unfortunately do I have a couple of months since last extension (last year) where I have dipped under 65K due to visit in home country and are unsure if I shall transfer more monthly from now on to next extension (august) or if Immigration will show a bit leniency because the new regulation start from this year? Anyway after 1-2 months with new rules I hope I have got a feeling about what Immigration will accept and if only 800K is accepted placed in a bank I should have time to scrape that together before extension.

Edited by Felt 35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thanks all the same, but my two examples are enough as that's really all I worry about.........anyway automatic transfers take the '"remembering" out of the equation!

Keep your eye on the exchange rate. If it crashed overnight as your transfer is taking place and its at he end of the month, you will have to start all over again, another 12 months. Now that is something I will be worrying about a lot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 1:43 PM, smedly said:

The only issue I have is keeping the balance at 800k for 6 months instead of 3, the rest I was doing anyway

 

I fail to see any practical advantage of the 6month balance of 800k - what is the point of it

The point is that the THAI banks have your dosh for an additional 3 months to make THEM some more interest!!!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the full article where the man says

 

The Jan 18 order, issued by Immigration Bureau Deputy Commissioner Maj Gen Sarayut Sangonpokai, also made special mention that the new provisions specifically do not apply to:

 

- People supporting Thai families.

 

It says that different Visas are available for such foreigners.

 

Anyone know what those visas are please, and how to get one.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

My own theory as to why rules are being tightened, is that the expat resident population has exploded in the last 15 years. Go anywhere in Thailand now and there will be foreigners. Go to any small village and there will be some foreigner living not too far away. In the 90's it was rare to see foreigners in the cities of Esaan, now there are many.

Immigration are just culling the herd by trying to keep the richest ones, the ones that have the least chance of being a burden on the State.

Really? I remember a time when there were over 50,000 in Isaan alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Really? I remember a time when there were over 50,000 in Isaan alone.

When was that and how did you come up with that number?

Were they all on retirement visas?

Edited by Joe Mcseismic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to the people over the age of 60 ...wasn't it 200,000 baht in the bank ....heard it on the radio ...

 

Edited by CARLO BALDASSARRE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who is planing a retirement in the LoS, theses slightly confusing and muddle messages do cause a little uncertainty, especially if your situation is not exactly standard. If your income is from a business that declares it's income annually, but that income when divided by 12 (on paper) exceeds the the 65K monthly income requirement... would that still qualify? We are considering selling them (they aren't in our home country, and we wouldn't settle there) setting up a company in Thailand buying 3 small condos for rental and a small house for us, would that change the income requirement, or would that then mean we aren't retiring? And for the 800k on deposit or 65k per month, is that per person or is the figure amended for a couple, as a couple would only pay 1 rent (or not if you have bought) and living costs don't actually double?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

When was that and how did you come up with that number?

Were they all on retirement visas?

Nope. They were all wearing U.S. military uniforms.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Papa Goose said:

As someone who is planing a retirement in the LoS, theses slightly confusing and muddle messages do cause a little uncertainty, especially if your situation is not exactly standard. If your income is from a business that declares it's income annually, but that income when divided by 12 (on paper) exceeds the the 65K monthly income requirement... would that still qualify? We are considering selling them (they aren't in our home country, and we wouldn't settle there) setting up a company in Thailand buying 3 small condos for rental and a small house for us, would that change the income requirement, or would that then mean we aren't retiring? And for the 800k on deposit or 65k per month, is that per person or is the figure amended for a couple, as a couple would only pay 1 rent (or not if you have bought) and living costs don't actually double?

wow ..haven't you been reading any of the posts ....or are you just  not sure of the sites forums ......spend sometime on the site buddy ...an you will learn alot .... and work out the bullshit from the wingers and the genuine ..it's hard work ......good luck ..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...