BANGKOK 23 March 2019 13:52
Jonathan Fairfield

Holding the balance: Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Immigration are just culling the herd by trying to keep the richest ones, the ones that have the least chance of being a burden on the State.

Where is there significant potential for "burden on the State" in a country which has no welfare system that applies to foreigners? 

Health-care sometimes gets mentioned - w/o any statistics to back this up - and without addressing the by-far largest risk-population, which are short-term tourists.  If we, and they, all had to buy some sort of "emergency care only" coverage, the cost would be trivial per/mo each.

I bought a car and a couple of motorcycles and i paid in cash. I have no loan, pay no interest fee to anyone. I pay 1000 baht for one year internet and 2500 baht a month rent for 45m2 for nice appartment near the sea. I pay up one year in advance 30 000 and the houseowner are very happy. So, expenses are 31000 a year plus food and 1000 baht a month for gasoline. We make our food at home to get the safest, freshest and cleanest food. I think it is absolutely not nessecery to have a regulation that have to force me to transfer 65 000 baht to my thai account every month at todays exchange rate when i absolutely are not in need of that money at all. I just does not want to transfer money to thailand now! The exchange rate are just TERRIBLE now and the cost of thai baht are up 51,57% in 5 years compared to NOK and SEK! (Norway and Sweden)

exchange rate.jpg

Edited by Trollmann

6 minutes ago, Trollmann said:

Why does i have to transfer 65 000 baht to my thai account every month at todays exchange rate when i absolutely are not in need of that money at all?

because it is a regulation

23 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

There is going to be lots of pissed off immigration officers when ,lots of us change to a marriage visa ,

After 12 years of retirement visa, I'll reluctantly be doing the marriage visa method next time. My big fear is that there'll be loads of others doing the same thing and it'll mean hours spent in "The black hole" to do something which usually takes me thirty minutes. Maybe even go to an appointment system. One thing's certain, there's no room left in the Jomtien office to accommodate extra staff, even if they decided to increase the personnel.

8 minutes ago, jesimps said:

After 12 years of retirement visa, I'll reluctantly be doing the marriage visa method next time. My big fear is that there'll be loads of others doing the same thing and it'll mean hours spent in "The black hole" to do something which usually takes me thirty minutes. Maybe even go to an appointment system. One thing's certain, there's no room left in the Jomtien office to accommodate extra staff, even if they decided to increase the personnel.

Well if it means waiting hours so be it ,ime on retirement , luckily i can afford the changes ,but why should i park 800,000 in the bank for 5 months and 400,000 permenantly when i dont have to?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

why should i park 800,000 in the bank for 5 months and 400,000 permenantly when i dont have to?

you have to if you want the extension

Edited by AGareth2

3 hours ago, ginjag said:

To my mind there is nothing wrong with the "BORDER runner" scammers and illegals ,yes.  Why would a border runner be stopped from doing this, if he re enters and is spending money here ??  same arriving on a flight and getting 30 days free visa,  why not  ??  why limit this person to how many visits.

First one of your posts I've ever given a "like" to. Have you come to realise that it's your beloved junta who're making all these changes? 

11 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

because it is a regulation

Refrasing: I think it is absolutely not nessecery to have a regulation that have to force me to transfer 65 000 baht to my thai account every month at todays exchange rate when i absolutely are not in need of that money at all.

3 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

My own theory as to why rules are being tightened, is that the expat resident population has exploded in the last 15 years. Go anywhere in Thailand now and there will be foreigners. Go to any small village and there will be some foreigner living not too far away. In the 90's it was rare to see foreigners in the cities of Esaan, now there are many.

Immigration are just culling the herd by trying to keep the richest ones, the ones that have the least chance of being a burden on the State.

If you have any sense at all, you'll know that isn't the purpose of these rule changes. I'm not going to expand, but use your loaf.

3 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

you have to if you want the extension

I think the poster know that without you commenting on that. I understand it as he dont really are in need of the money required to get the extention for other purposes than getting the extention.

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

If you have any sense at all, you'll know that isn't the purpose of these rule changes. I'm not going to expand, but use your loaf.

So why don't you, can't you explain?

What's the point of saying I'm wrong without correcting it? Or, are you just a wind-bag?

• Like 1

Once you have deposited 800k into a Thai Bank for at least 6 months prior to your Retirement Visa date, I believe it then has to remain in the Bank for a period of 3 Months after your retirement visa date.

Two issues arise about this if correct

The first is that when 800K is in the Bank, you have to keep using the account, or it will be closed by your bank, so the balance must never be below the 800 k.

The second issue, and one which I have seen nobody mentioned before, is that if you have your 800 K in the Bank, and then you depart of this Earth, who has the legal right to your money ?

Is it the Bank, the state or your Estate? ? or your Widow?. Clarification is required on this, and all depositors really need to make a Thai will, clearly stating who is entitled to the Money upon your death.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Trollmann said:

I think it is absolutely not nessecery to have a regulation that have to force me to transfer 65 000 baht to my thai account every month at todays exchange rate when i absolutely are not in need of that money at all. I just does not want to transfer money to thailand now! The exchange rate are just TERRIBLE now and the cost of thai baht are up 51,57% in 5 years compared to NOK and SEK! (Norway and Sweden)

but you don't gotta do that;  you have to import the equivalent of 65k baht.  immigration will accept foreign currency accounts.  only have to exchange what you actually need.

just have to be careful; the amount of krones you send over at the beginning may not satisfy the requirements 6 months later.