Holding the balance: Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1

5 minutes ago, mikebike said:

There is no entitlement to reside in country other than your home country. We live here by the grace of the Thai govt. and they have a sovereign right to make whatever rules they choose. Changes in global economics and currency are not Thailand’s responsibility...

Surely your last sentence is amazing...

18 hours ago, sumrit said:

for the income method, confirmation that proof of income can be from various sources, not just pensions as originally stated.

As an Australian pensioner, i always use my Assets & Income statement which is held by Centrelink.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Yeah it is the wives and kids who will suffer the most from these xenophobic policies.  I predict mass overstays. 

Interestingly it says that those who are supporting a Thai family the retirement visa extension may not be the best option, so presumably there is a better option for those of us that have kids but it doesn't go into any details.

19 hours ago, smedly said:

I asked this question many times and there was clarification from an IO (I think Jomtien) that for renewals it would be 3+3 = 6 months

I know the order reads 2 months before - I get that, but it seems some IO's don't

I have asked if the new orders still include the renewal part of the order at 3 months 

It is not surprising that this again has created confusion because the IO's around various cities can't seem to agree on what is written in the order even though it is in plain sight

Just tell them that Order by RTP 35/2561 para 4  dated January 2019 applies.

2 hours ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

I dont quite read it that way

"As many embassies no longer issue affidavits confirming income, this is no longer required, he said, noting that letters from governments and pension fund providers will be accepted along with other forms of evidence to prove the income pending.

Of course any financial statements from banks and copies of bankbook records proving this income already being received should be provided,” he said.

So it sounds to me they will accept the embassy letter but in addition they want proof the monies are actually transferred???

What is the purpose of the embassy letter then?

extra proof of income could always be asked for despite the embassy letter, in my case it never was although I always had everything with me so I think nothing has changed here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you can get income proof from you embassy it will be accepted instead of monthly transfers.

It says will be accepted if you have other forms of evidence.I never needed to show any other form of evidence.Embassy letter was always enough.

Is this not good news, in small part, for those from "non grumpy 4"  embassy countries.

I reckon squillions of you who have income from home countries no longer need an embassy letter.

Did not some have to go to BKK personally ?  They now accept other proof.

But of course it has to come here. And be in inconvenient monthly blocks .... and a bank letter needed now.  And you can now not bring in cash in pocket from trips home that will count.

Maybe not toooooo good.

Just might be a tiny bit good though .. for some .. maybe.

Possibly.

Edited by PAWNEESE
Clean up

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

“Under the income requirement, applicants must receive at least B65,000 per month,” Col Acheep explained.

As many embassies no longer issue affidavits confirming income, this is no longer required, he said, noting that letters from governments and pension fund providers will be accepted along with other forms of evidence to prove the income pending.

“Of course any financial statements from banks and copies of bankbook records proving this income already being received should be provided,” he said.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/holding-the-balance- phuket-immigration-clarifies-new-rules-on-retirement-visas-to-start-march-1-70401.php#qFDrdIdC5SewFzHi.99

So from my perspective in trying to qualify for the 65k per month method I can provide the required evidence, which was a worry because they have been ''fickle" in that area.

Not decided yet as to follow that route or the 800k route. For me it depends upon whether or not I can get an automatic transfer of funds from my NZ bank, so trying Transferwise under an automatic payment schedule if poss.

Why don't you set up your transfers by internet banking ?

2 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

It says will be accepted if you have other forms of evidence.I never needed to show any other form of evidence.Embassy letter was always enough.

I think that is one of the reasons why Phuket folk wanted a Phuket specific thread...........

During my 12 years here now, I have used both lump sum and combo methods and on every occasion the IO has wanted to see bank statements and letter, copies of bank books as well as the embassy letters.

On my last visit the IO was particularly "thorough" in not only going through some of my statements line by line, but also asking his junior offsider to check the exchange rates as I was using the "combo method"........ maybe I look like a suspicious character??

The problem as I see it, and which has already been mentioned, is that you never know what you're going to get at immigration here, a bit like Forrest Gump with his box of chocolates analogy!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I think that is one of the reasons why Phuket folk wanted a Phuket specific thread...........

During my 12 years here now, I have used both lump sum and combo methods and on every occasion the IO has wanted to see bank statements and letter, copies of bank books as well as the embassy letters.

On my last visit the IO was particularly "thorough" in not only going through some of my statements line by line, but also asking his junior offsider to check the exchange rates as I was using the "combo method"........ maybe I look like a suspicious character??

The problem as I see it, and which has already been mentioned, is that you never know what you're going to get at immigration here, a bit like Forrest Gump with his box of chocolates analogy!

I would be ok if they say show xxx or yyy,if they accept foreign bank statements why I should get an embassy letter?Embassy letter for me is 1500bt and a 80km drive to Bkk.I really hate that wishy washy "up to the immigration officer"

1 minute ago, cracker1 said:

Why don't you set up your transfers by internet banking ?

Ah, were it so simple..................

If I send money from ASB bank to Bangkok bank here, I have to do it by a monthly manual transfer via Internet banking, as ASB will not automatically transfer funds to a foreign bank.

So every month I have to go into my Internet banking account and set up a new payment, which is something I don't want to do because if I were to fall ill and be taken to hospital, or be incapacitated in some other way, then I could miss a payment and I don't think immigration here are that lenient, and who knows what the ramifications might be??

I looked at a new option by Transferwise regarding "borderless accounts" and it seems as if they can set up an account in NZ, so that I can get an automatic payment made to this NZ entity, which ASB deems to be okay (transfer within NZ) and they in turn will transfer it to Bangkok bank here – – at least that's what I'm hoping it's all about as I have requested more information for clarification, which should be forthcoming in a couple of days.

4 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

I would be ok if they say show xxx or yyy,if they accept foreign bank statements why I should get an embassy letter?Embassy letter for me is 1500bt and a 80km drive to Bkk.I really hate that wishy washy "up to the immigration officer"

It appears (from what I have read and others may well correct me here) that they will accept "evidence" and that appears to be in the form of bank statements, bank books and a letter from the bank, for example.

You mention "foreign bank statements" but I don't know if that is the case as proof of "evidence".

Others may be able to throw some light on that for you.......

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Married visa: minimum 40,000 baht per month or 400,000 baht in a Thai bank for 2 months prior and 3 months after application.

Have not read three months after for marriage extension

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Ah, were it so simple..................

If I send money from ASB bank to Bangkok bank here, I have to do it by a monthly manual transfer via Internet banking, as ASB will not automatically transfer funds to a foreign bank.

So every month I have to go into my Internet banking account and set up a new payment, which is something I don't want to do because if I were to fall ill and be taken to hospital, or be incapacitated in some other way, then I could miss a payment and I don't think immigration here are that lenient, and who knows what the ramifications might be??

I looked at a new option by Transferwise regarding "borderless accounts" and it seems as if they can set up an account in NZ, so that I can get an automatic payment made to this NZ entity, which ASB deems to be okay (transfer within NZ) and they in turn will transfer it to Bangkok bank here – – at least that's what I'm hoping it's all about as I have requested more information for clarification, which should be forthcoming in a couple of days.

"if I were to fall ill and be taken to hospital, or be incapacitated in some other way, ".  Thats  only a couple of things that could go wrong, I can think of dozens more, If you want to know  more, please feel tree to PM me.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is correct it should of been October 21,1998.

From police order 35/2562.

image.png.efc49838025e7b6dafbcc7e173c58e52.png

That's a hoot! The very youngest of those retirees fro 1998, assuming they are still alive, would be age 71!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

No confusion it's simple:

Married visa: minimum 40,000 baht per month or 400,000 baht in a Thai bank for 2 months prior and 3 months after application.

Retired visa: minimum 65,000 baht per month or 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 2 months prior and 3 months after application

What's confusing ???.

YOU are confused! 

The marriage visa does NOT require you to hold 400k 3 months afterwards. Some offices ,as previously ,want you to maintain that amount in the account during the 30 day under consideration period until the visa extension is confirmed.

• Thanks 1