BANGKOK
Cosmic Nic

Teacher Licence - PGCE or Masters

6 hours ago, oldwelshman said:

Do you have  link? My son currently filling forms to come here and I am looking for info on internet for him. He has a BA Hons 2:1 and currently supply teaching in UK. We are looking t possibility to do PGCEi Nottingham or the M Ed Bangkok School of Management or possible this UCL one to get access to international school posts.

https://london.ac.uk/courses/teacher-development

On 2/21/2019 at 12:33 PM, fin5prtw said:

It depends on which route you take, there are various routes to teaching nowadays in the UK. 

If you are going back to the UK, the best route would be to get a PGCE with QTS via the SKITT or School Direct route. This will set you up for the best opportunities in Thailand at international schools. If you don't want to leave, you can do your M.Ed or PGCEi while based in Thailand, as long as you have some contact time (not entirely online), then you can get your Thai teachers licence following completion. It won't give you as many good opportunities as gaining a PGCE/QTS/UK teaching experience, but it should get you in at a 2nd or 3rd tier international school and your licence. 

If you do the iPGCE can you then do QTS in England thereafter or isn't the iPGCE recognised in the UK towards QTS?

On 8/13/2019 at 9:37 AM, stament said:

If you do the iPGCE can you then do QTS in England thereafter or isn't the iPGCE recognised in the UK towards QTS?

As far as I know the PGCEi is not considered a qualification to teach in a UK school. 

The PGCE (or iPGCE) is awarded by the university and QTS is awarded by the General Teaching Council. Each can be independent to the other and you could get QTS by working at a school and meeting the standards without doing a PGCE but I don’t know how employers feel about that. Likewise if you do both the traditional way, through the university, in theory, you could be awarded QTS and fail the PGCE and vice versa depending on what criteria you meet.

• Like 1

Is the iPGCE recognised at all in TH? Is there any real advantage to having it because if you don't have the QTS then you aren't a qualified UK teacher so it seems to me that you won't get any more money in TH but it might differentiate you slightly from someone with a degree and a TEFL? Thoughts on this?

Is the iPGCE recognised at all in TH? Is there any real advantage to having it because if you don't have the QTS then you aren't a qualified UK teacher so it seems to me that you won't get any more money in TH but it might differentiate you slightly from someone with a degree and a TEFL? Thoughts on this?

The vast majority of teachers I work with here have PGCE/QTS or equivalent. I do know of a few who have secured international school positions without QTS but not many. Depends how desperate the school is to fill a vacant position. Those few that I do know without QTS have an MEd or iPGCE and experience. Personally, if at all possible I would recommend going back and getting PGCE/QTS which opens many more doors.
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 5:39 AM, stament said:

Generally the top internationals schools wouldn't employ you without a PGCE, QTS and experience in the UK. However, as guru said, there are exceptions. A colleague told me that Wellington were desperate for an EYFS teacher to start this month and hired someone with only a PGCEi. 

Mid - level international schools or the better bilingual schools would be the more likely places. My friend works at a reasonable international school in Bangkok with just a PGCEi. He is on around 80k but no international teacher benefits.

IMO, if you're thinking of making a real career teaching here then the benefits are a huge enticement to perhaps go home for a few years and get a PGCE and QTS.

Bite the bullet, I did. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You need a TEFL/TESOL qualification surely? 

To do what?

On 8/21/2019 at 4:10 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

You need a TEFL/TESOL qualification surely? 

Still in Udon?