FA Cup - no more replays.

champers

Inevitable really. The fixture list is just too crowded for the big boys at this time of year. Pity for the minnows though, who earn a draw at home and then get the chance to take a major club, like Manchester United to a replay at Old Trafford. Massive earner for a small club. Can and has been the difference between life and death for a club close to bankruptcy. 

I Don't think this undermines the competition nor do i think it encourages the big boys to send out their best teams. It's another change to suit the Premier teams. Sadly it will affect lower league teams finances with no replay possible anymore against the big teams.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/18/fa-cup-fifth-round-replays-scrapped-this-season

46 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Pity for the minnows though, who earn a draw at home and then get the chance to take a major club, like Manchester United to a replay at Old Trafford. Massive earner for a small club. Can and has been the difference between life and death for a club close to bankruptcy. 

Absolutely. If they are going to stick to this going forward, then they should give the lower league team the option to switch the venue if they get an home draw.

15 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Absolutely. If they are going to stick to this going forward, then they should give the lower league team the option to switch the venue if they get an home draw.

I'm not sure if they have that option now. I seem to remember that being done before.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Inevitable really. The fixture list is just too crowded for the big boys at this time of year. Pity for the minnows though, who earn a draw at home and then get the chance to take a major club, like Manchester United to a replay at Old Trafford. Massive earner for a small club. Can and has been the difference between life and death for a club close to bankruptcy. 

Agree. Replays around March or April play havoc with the fixtures and aren't needed really.

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I'm not sure if they have that option now. I seem to remember that being done before.

Yeah they used to be able to do it but I think it got stopped (unless there are extenuating circumstances). I don't know if this replay rule is just for this season or continuous but if it is permanent they should give them the option back to switch grounds. As said earlier, playing at the big grounds can be a financial life saver for some clubs

Archived