Hi, just like to know whether a 2nd hand Kubota 50hp tractor is ok to buy for village people’s small farms or do I buy a brand new one? Also, can I lease a tractor off Kubota or tractor selling company in Thailand. Mainly rice ploughing and levelling off dirt around new and old homes and moving old tree logs and branches. 

I bought a new Ford new holland rig years ago in the hope of earning regular income, if you dont speak thai then DO NOT trust a sole even the missus !! relatives will cash in while you fill it to the brim and the driver sucks it out again .... 2 + million bht lost for ever, a very bitter pill. remember the kin will always be more important than you ever will be, sorry for negativity.

I bought a 2nd hand tractor ten years ago. I never had any intention of using it or hiring it out to make money. My reasoning was there was only one tractor available and he had been servicing the villages in our area by himself. At that time implements were a grader blade and a plough. I wanted a front end loader, plough, rotary hoe, row maker and a baler and our family had some 40 rai in total. I bought a 28HP 4WD 1982 model Iseki which serviced us well. 

The scene has now changed. There are more than enough tractors to service the area and the price per rai is low. Preparing for the rice season is rain dependant and the window is short. Most tractors are used almost 24/7 for a month or so then parked up for the rest of the year.

My advice is to observe for a season or two and determine your real need before committing.

Archived