BANGKOK 19 March 2019 00:52
Neeranam

The older I get, the more I am ignored here!

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe consider looking at retirement communities where you will be treated like everyone else.

Actually that's a good idea. What I am wondering is, which countries in Asia integrate westerners to that extent, if any.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:43 PM, Sprog71 said:

? GRUMPY OLD MAN AT 50. Wait until you are 80.

In general in the UK you start to be ignored/overlooked at 70 and it gets progressively worse.

In Thailand I have been overlooked /ignored since the age of 40 when I married my Thai wife.

..just wait til your ATM card expires....Signed 'The Invisible Man'.

1 hour ago, rumak said:

Actually,  i find that to be one of the very few benefits of getting old .   At least it kind of falls in place with

my (lack of) desire to have interactions with most people.   No, i am not a bitter old man.....but do not ignore the fact that it is no fun getting old.   I am sure there are a few here that will now tell me how this is the

best time of their life.  Well, personally I enjoyed the health and vitality part a bit more !   Of course, I was not working a job for someone else and had the freedom to do it my way (with all its ups and downs).

yep. the best time is now.

Honestly, getting old is no fun, but it's better than the alternative :whistling:

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, Neeranam said:

Just an observation, when I was in my 20's, Thais used accept that I could speak the language. Now, in my early 50's, they expect me not to speak Thai. Regularly, with my teenage daughters, I'm ignored. Out for dinner with my wife, she gets the menu and 9 times out of 10, I don't.

My Thai has improved in 2 decades, so that is not the issue. 

Am I missing something?

Have I become a grumpy looking old man that nobody wants to speak to?

Sitting in a coffee shop now, where the girl asked if I could speak Thai. I said yes, and she continued to speak pidgin English with me, despite me telling her it was best to talk in Thai.

Sigh, I'll never understand this culture completely

Perhaps she wanted to improve her English...practice makes perfect.

Actually, that happens to me, a lot! I can be at a Thai restaurant and I get ignored by the Thais. My wife is under orders to not answer their questions.

She forces them to look at me and take my orders.

Then she tells me off for my tones! Can't win for losing!

• Like 1

I let my wife do the ordering. She always orders 50% more than she can eat and then something for me. I let her pay the bill.

I'm sure in your own country waiters would ignore your foreign wife and talk to you?

On 2/16/2019 at 10:15 AM, mauGR1 said:

Nothing to do with Thai culture imo, but young people are not very interested in old people, everywhere.

Therefore old men are dying their hair or/and wear a soldier's uniform, best General's.

Hair for men works for me 🙂

The fact that humans need to be taught everything would explain it perfectly.  who is teaching them anything different. Have you asked yourself if they are understanding your dialect.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:51 PM, swissie said:

Right on. Thai is a tonal language. Most words can be pronounced 4 different ways = 4 different meanings. One falsly pronounced word can screw up the whole sentence. The different pronounciation are hardly noticable by the Farang ear. That is what makes Thai so hard to learn for Farangs.
It can happen that the Farang enters a store, wanting to buy a shirt (sua). Likely he said "I want to buy a Tiger" (sua).
-The 2 week tourists need not to worry. In Tourist-Hub's, "f*cky f*cky, check-bin, tau rai short time/long time" is likely to be sufficient as far as language skills are concerned.😉

This is a fascinating thread, one of the best I've read in a while as I've given a great deal of thought to this exact subject.

I'm impressed, I've gotten to page three and this hasn't turned into a pissing contest, please don't start one now.

I think it depends on the intelligence level of the person you're trying to communicate with. I'm pretty well educated and can usually figure out what a Thai person is trying to say in English even when they are saying it wrong. They are the same way, some get it and some don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grusa said:

If 10 good people do 10 good things on 10 consecutive days, no-one notices or remembers. If 1 bad person does 1 bad thing on 1 day, it will be remembered forever and held against the good people.

Yes, and that's human nature, nothing to do specifically with Thailand.

Normal as the woman alway do the talking  Bla bla 

let them doit whay not relax who cares