Buy a house when married = no control over it?

On 2/18/2019 at 10:43 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

the main issue is that if the land department notices your wife is married they force u to sign a document that states that her money was used to purchase this - and they are not flexible on that bs document...

better to not have your wife listed anywhere in the shareholdings at all

This is right, but in a divorce this signed document isn't a problem. About land the common rule is in a divorce that it's 50/50. Your EX-wife must pay out you or the land must be saled and you get the half.

The signed document at the land office has nothing to do with it. This is just for clear that YOU cannot own land.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, snowgard said:

This is right, but in a divorce this signed document isn't a problem. About land the common rule is in a divorce that it's 50/50. Your EX-wife must pay out you or the land must be saled and you get the half.

The signed document at the land office has nothing to do with it. This is just for clear that YOU cannot own land.

But the document you sign clearly states the money was hers before marriage.....when will you guys get it... You own zilch,  control zilch,  at best you can live there till you die... But honestly  you won't want to stay in the house if things turn sour.... 

On 2/16/2019 at 4:35 PM, KiChakayan said:

I am married, and I have spent about half of my saving on buildings a nice house for my family. I did so because we have two daughters, and there is no way I would leave them without a proper home if/when I departed, for whatever reason.

Now building a house for a girl friend or wife, without a solid, established relationship is just asking for trouble. Take your time, make sure it can last, and start building only after you get officially married. As far as I understand half of the house, or whatever you buy while married, will be considered as yours. Even though you can't own the land the house has been built on.

There is also the issue of where you want to built a house, most girls will try to coerce you to build nearby their parents homes, make sure that that's what you want before you give in. Again, take your time.

Now that's interesting. I too have paid for the building and furnishings of a house, on land owned by mother in law. So no question MIL owns the land which she says she will transfer to her daughter my wife, but hasn't yet

So I paid for the house etc, my wife has a house book for it, as yet I don't.  Who owns the house, who can sell it? Can it even be sold if it is on land owned by MIL?

23 hours ago, baansgr said:

But the document you sign clearly states the money was hers before marriage.....when will you guys get it... You own zilch,  control zilch,  at best you can live there till you die... But honestly  you won't want to stay in the house if things turn sour.... 

Right, but you can get back 50% from your money. Better as nothing.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:17 PM, elliss said:

Really ,

Thailand is ruled by a unaccountable  military junta/ Goverment , 

who  can change the rules, at the stoke of a pen, within minutes. 

Law firm Freshfields ,  must have the Thai Goverment shuddering, tanks and all.

Any government anywhere can change the rules whenever it wants, for its own citizens and for expats in that country.  If you hate Thailand  and how it works that much, why do you bother with the place at all?   

8 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You are buying a house for your wife.

End of story.

and your point is?  My wife is younger than me  and my daughter obviously a lot younger still.  Yes, the house will be theirs when I depart, that's called talking care of your family.  

14 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

and your point is?  My wife is younger than me  and my daughter obviously a lot younger still.  Yes, the house will be theirs when I depart, that's called talking care of your family.  

And what's the problem with posters pointing out the obvious that a house in Thailand doesn't belong to you? Personally, I didn't come here to play the savior and build houses in Isaan for other women. Plenty of stories about Westerners ending up shirtless. If my wife wants (3rd) house, she can buy it herself like she did before me.

The better question is if a Thai Family will take care of Farang if he needs to pay for hospital bills? If the house belonged to you this would not be an issue. Like this you are stuck at the mercy of Thai family and seeing how they are not even willing to help with retirement extensions I don't see how they will help if you get cancer ????

On 2/17/2019 at 6:26 AM, AlexRich said:

The more assets you have in your wife's name ... the more expendable you become. Only buy if it represents a small fraction of your wealth.

Anything less than 100% is a fraction.   What do you consider a "small fraction" when it comes to the purchase of a residence be it a house or condo?

39 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I think what the poster below points out is the situation where the wife chooses to depart from you prior to your departure.

13 minutes ago, Pravda said:

And what's the problem with posters pointing out the obvious that a house in Thailand doesn't belong to you? Personally, I didn't come here to play the savior and build houses in Isaan for other women. Plenty of stories about Westerners ending up shirtless. If my wife wants (3rd) house, she can buy it herself like she did before me.

The better question is if a Thai Family will take care of Farang if he needs to pay for hospital bills? If the house belonged to you this would not be an issue. Like this you are stuck at the mercy of Thai family and seeing how they are not even willing to help with retirement extensions I don't see how they will help if you get cancer ????

Very good points you have there,  Pravda.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:
2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

You are buying a house for your wife.

End of story.

I was reponding to the OP, not your post, whatever it was. Your situation is not the same as the OP's natch.

Sorry, but these forums work like that. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

I think what the poster below points out is the situation where the wife chooses to depart from you prior to your departure.

Very good points you have there,  Pravda.

And why does no one mention divorce rates in Thailand? Everyone likes to mention rates back home at 50%. It's at 40% in Thailand and this is in a country where people shy away from divorce and women put up with multiple mia nois. Has there ever been some research done about Thai foreign divorces? I bet the number is over 80%.

2 minutes ago, Pravda said:

And why does no one mention divorce rates in Thailand? Everyone likes to mention rates back home at 50%. It's at 40% in Thailand and this is in a country where people shy away from divorce and women put up with multiple mia nois. Has there ever been some research done about Thai foreign divorces? I bet the number is over 80%.

But, but, their wife is different, totally trustworthy and would never do that.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:45 PM, BritManToo said:

But, but, their wife is different, totally trustworthy and would never do that.

Exactly, Johnny Foreigner that was a shelf stacker in Tesco and married for 20 years probably  only having one or two sexual encounters,  comes here with redundancy/retirement money and meets a young girl that makes him feel good and starts acting like a gangster or millionaire....

dosnt last long once the gold,  pick up and issan house is bought and money dried up. Sent it a thousand  times but yes of course won't happen to them their tirak is different 

On 2/19/2019 at 6:05 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

a usufruct gives you the right to use the land till u die... 

I was thinking of this if i ever bought a house with my thai partner but as others have said it is useless. If the thai or her family make your life hell, which they easily could, then you would not want to stay there. Your legal "rights" are immaterial.

I am thinking of building a room and a bathroom in the back of my GF's house. She has a house in Banglamung with lots of lands in the back. Her mother also has a house in Sisaket with lots of lands in the back. Her Father also has a huge land in Kolat? She told me I could build a house anywhere I like but I had to pay for it. I think Banglamung will be better.

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I am thinking of building a room and a bathroom in the back of my GF's house. She has a house in Banglamung with lots of lands in the back. Her mother also has a house in Sisaket with lots of lands in the back. Her Father also has a huge land in Kolat? She told me I could build a house anywhere I like but I had to pay for it. I think Banglamung will be better.

Come and build it on my land, Ill pay half the cost????

Archived