BANGKOK 19 April 2019 07:17
stapoz

Buy a house when married = no control over it?

On 2/17/2019 at 7:15 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

You are out of luck if married if you want to protect your after marriage assets from your wife imo. 

No, he has to buy together with his wife, the wife the land and he the house. And the wife gives him the usufruct. 

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, Delight said:

However not 'discouraged by the Thai authorities' to a point where they actually stop it.

They could stop it tomorrow-but chose not to.

Thus exercise great caution - why invite trouble

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:28 AM, KittenKong said:

I think it would be insanity to spend money on something that the government specifically prohibits me from owning and which can only be "mine" by legal trickery. But there are plenty of insane people here doing all sorts of things that are completely illegal, and some of them have yet to be caught.

Personally, anywhere in the world, I would only buy property that has my sole name on all the deeds. And I would never get involved in any sort of business relationship with any Thai, ever, under any circumstances. I like being wealthy and I dont want it to end before I die. As long as I keep my sole name on everything that is mine that should be fairly easy.

and lonely

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:12 PM, biggles45 said:

Always bear in mind that no matter what structure you use to purchase a house, legal or otherwise, if your wife or her family want you out they will get you out. Threats, intimidation, violence all done with no redress from the police or courts. Seen it several times

Jesus - can't we have a rolling eyes emoji for everytime this crap comes up ?

A fool and his money are soon parted -that is not exclusive to Thailand

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, puipuitom said:

a foreigner can NOT own a piece of land, so you have a house on the land of somebody else… tilll he/she does not allow you to enter it.

Yeah, but for that you either get a usufrunc together with the house or a simple "right to passage" together with the house. Stop the fear mongering if yo only know 10% about the topic.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You rent land that someone else owns and have built a structure on land that someone else owns.

No, he build a structure _he owns_

Read some laws. And unless you have a clear understanding, please stop giving _legal advice_ even if it is not considered "legal advice".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Benroon said:

and lonely

I would feel a bit sorry for anyone who can only avoid being lonely by giving their property away or by joining in business ventures with others. But there are indeed plenty of people like that here, and many of them have lost a bundle and ended up by either going home broke or jumping off a high balcony.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I would feel a bit sorry for anyone who can only avoid being lonely by giving their property away or by joining in business ventures with others. But there are indeed plenty of people like that here, and many of them have lost a bundle and ended up by either going home broke or jumping off a high balcony.

and millions who haven't for each one of your jumpers and from ALL OVER the world.

If you are going to spend the rest of your life shitting yourself from the moment you get up in the morning because everyone's out to get you - you're going to have a pretty dreadful life !

Common sense and a good lawyer is all that is required to cut down on your nappy bill !

Edited by Benroon
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

If you are going to spend the rest of your life shitting yourself from the moment you get up in the morning because everyone's out to get you - you're going to have a pretty dreadful life !

You seem to be mistaking simple common sense for paranoia. And why do you imagine that everyone needs partners to be happy?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, henry15 said:

This is an illegal construction for foreigners.

Rubbish. 

• Confused 1

Whenever this subject comes up, which seems to be every month, so much false information, nonsense, misinformation and bad advice is given that it is totally useless to anyone seeking usable advice and guidance.  There are even people posting here who think that internationally renowned law firms, and reputable Thai law firms, are all corrupt and even criminal.  Everyone suddenly becomes a Thai law expert.  Yea, right. 

On top of that, a large number of people who post on this subject appear to think that every marriage is doomed to failure and that Thai ladies and their families are out to get them, even as one poster stated, to kill them, so tie everything up so that these terrible murdering families can't get hold of your assets. Talk about paranoid. These people must live a life of utter misery and despondency, just waiting for someone to leg them over. Yes, bad things happen here.  Bad things happen to people in every country of the World, but linking a totally natural wish for a wife and husband to jointly own their own house, to a certainly that it all will fall apart, is sad beyond belief. My advice to anyone looking to own their own house in Thailand is to ignore most of what you read on forums and go to a reputable law firm and get the right advice.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

totally natural wish for a wife and husband to jointly own their own house

Not in Thailand. Get over it

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Whenever this subject comes up, which seems to be every month, so much false information, nonsense, misinformation and bad advice is given that it is totally useless to anyone seeking usable advice and guidance.  There are even people posting here who think that internationally renowned law firms, and reputable Thai law firms, are all corrupt and even criminal.  Everyone suddenly becomes a Thai law expert.  Yea, right. 

On top of that, a large number of people who post on this subject appear to think that every marriage is doomed to failure and that Thai ladies and their families are out to get them, even as one poster stated, to kill them, so tie everything up so that these terrible murdering families can't get hold of your assets. Talk about paranoid. These people must live a life of utter misery and despondency, just waiting for someone to leg them over. Yes, bad things happen here.  Bad things happen to people in every country of the World, but linking a totally natural wish for a wife and husband to jointly own their own house, to a certainly that it all will fall apart, is sad beyond belief. My advice to anyone looking to own their own house in Thailand is to ignore most of what you read on forums and go to a reputable law firm and get the right advice.   

Very well put however the paranoia and constantly regurgitated racist crap, is quite entertaining at times if it wasn't so dangerous ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That of course is incorrect,  The company must have the majority of the shares held by Thai citizens.  I trust that a large international law firm like Freshfields know that they are doing.  

Really ,

Thailand is ruled by a unaccountable  military junta/ Goverment , 

who  can change the rules, at the stoke of a pen, within minutes. 

Law firm Freshfields ,  must have the Thai Goverment shuddering, tanks and all.

Edited by elliss

yeah sure if they want to bugger off every foreign joint venture here, crash over the whole economy and destroy the whole real estate market making all land and thai property companies pretty much worthless and bugger off all thai hisos while doing so .... they can do that....

Meanwhile WW3 can start and we can be as likely bend over, all these nightmare scenarios can happen everywhere and are so non sense to even discuss here...

• Like 1