Just got a 25 thousand baht quote from an Aussie Real Estate agent on NOn Immigrant O . visa

2 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Live off it for two hours after you eat the plate of Som Tam you could afford with the interest dividend accrued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you eat the somtam in the wrong place will it also cover the cost of the extra toilet rolls you'll have to buy??

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Happy Expat said:

Hi all,
Just an idea......

I am a 25 years living in Phuket expat, who moved to Cambodia with my Thai wife 3 years ago. 
It only costs me 290$ US a year here for a 1 year visa per person, there is no paper work, no photo, no address & any local tour joint can do it all in 7 days.
+ Beer is 50 US cents a can EVERYWHERE.
Our beloved prime minister here says, any fool can ride a 125 moto (no licence needed).

Why do you continue to live in the land of foolish expats? where you are not wanted.

Not sure I can post a 'like' but I hear what you are saying.

In the same circumstances I would still like to have enough to fall back on for a flight home for med' emergencies.  Not saying you haven't, just mentioning it.

????

10 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Not sure if you're joking or not.  "i get to spend that 400,000".     Isn't that just short term borrowing from yourself?

Wonder if anyone thought about borrowing the equivalent  800K amount from ones  home country bank and repaying the interest with the  fee the  agent charges.

Other than the interest likely being 2x what an agent charges?

11 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

There's no point. 

For 50k a year u get a 20 year elite visa (1mio thb) without all those problems. 

Until such time as the Thai authorities decide to move the goalposts on that type of visa. I think the word I am looking for is overcapitalisation.

10 hours ago, Happy Expat said:

Hi all,
Just an idea......

I am a 25 years living in Phuket expat, who moved to Cambodia with my Thai wife 3 years ago. 
It only costs me 290$ US a year here for a 1 year visa per person, there is no paper work, no photo, no address & any local tour joint can do it all in 7 days.
Our beloved prime minister here says, any fool can ride a 125 moto (no licence needed).

Why do you continue to live in the land of foolish expats? where you are not wanted.

yep, visa's easy BUT you forgot to mention everything else BUT beer, ($.50 DRAFTS, NOT Cans)  an cigs is more expensive than Thailand

You dont have the medical, the roads are shit and you seldom have good selection of things wherever you are in the country. etc etc

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Some charge even more...whats even more of a con, on renewing my DL a few weeks ago, two guys doing theirs through an agent did everything I had to do, and one failed the test so had to come back the following day, all the agent does is go to Regents with them. I think the clock is ticking on that scam, tick toc, tick toc.

• Like 2

Until such time as the Thai authorities decide to move the goalposts on that type of visa. I think the word I am looking for is overcapitalisation.

How is that even possible after you got the visa already in your passport... It never happened before on any visa. Extremely unlikely.

You guys are just so grumpy and fear mongering and will never be happy no matter what solution one presents to you.

And the you guys recommend countries like Cambodia and Laos where you don't even know if the country will exist in 20 years [emoji23]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Happy Expat said:

Hi all,
Just an idea......

Wow.

Most definitely people should consider moving their entire life to a 3rd world country for the 50 cent beer.

By the way, a one year here is less then $290 including multiple entry and it takes a few hours not 7 days.

But if a downgraded 3rd world lifestyle suits one then enjoy..

Edited by bkk6060

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Wow.

Most definitely people should consider moving their entire life to a 3rd world country for the 50 cent beer.

By the way, a one year here is less then $290 including multiple entry and it takes a few hours not 7 days.

But if 3rd world lifestyle suits one then enjoy..

When you drink 10 pints a day, it makes a big difference.

10 pints at 80bht = 20 quid ($26)/day

10 points at 50c = 4 quid ($5)/day

Savings in 1 month = $600+

Can't see much difference between Cambodia and Thailand myself.

Ruins are better in Cambodia, gaudy temples are more prolific in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Adding to the utopia that Cambodia is supposed to be: Phnom Penh is a filthy dump - a gigantic and ugly building site, the local food is crap, unsafe walking down the street at night, power cuts all the  time,  slow Internet, etc, etc. .. 

The misery some people will endure for cheap draught beer and happy pizza is astonishing. 

Never been, I was in Siam Reap which I thought was nice.

Didn't eat pizza either, plenty of Indian restaurants so had beer and a curry every evening $4-$6 ..... bargain!

Local food, always served with a fresh (warm) bread roll, usually better than Thailand.

Walked around at night no problems.

One power cut in 10 days

Internet on my mobile, same speed as Thailand.

etc., etc.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You can't convince the 'I love Thailand' brigade, they will pooh pooh all posts suggesting somewhere else is just as good, until the general forces them to leave.

I personally would pick any other SE Asia country over Cambodia...I have been there a few times and each time I was there I was more than happy to return to Thailand.....Couldn't wait to leave Cambodia... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When you drink 10 pints a day, it makes a big difference.

10 pints at 80bht = 20 quid ($26)/day

10 points at 50c = 4 quid ($5)/day

Savings in 1 month = $600+

Can't see much difference between Cambodia and Thailand myself.

Ruins are better in Cambodia, gaudy temples are more prolific in Thailand.

You are not wrong actually.

I have done some math and a heavy drinker can save hundreds of dollars a month in Cambodia.

Why bring up temples and such they are not at the top of the list for daily activities for residents?

But, I suggest you go there for an extended period and not read about it.  I did that for a few months 2 years ago and Thailand overall quality of life is much much better.

But, for an alcoholic maybe not.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

But, I suggest you go there for an extended period and not read about it.  I did that for a few months 2 years ago and Thailand overall quality of life is much much better.

But, for an alcoholic maybe not.

I've spent plenty of time in Thailand and the Philippines and a little time in China, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Liked them all, could happily live in either country (VISAs allowing).

Edited by BritManToo

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I pay an agent for convenience. Life's too short for me to waste hours or days in Immigration lines. Everything I do is in compliance with requirements, nothing shifty. Possibly what will happen is the agents operating at the boundaries will increase their fees to cover extra payments. The legal agents should keep their fees at the same level. If they don't, they could start losing customers to DIY.

What is this "hours or days in immigration lines"? I spend a max of 2 hours once a year to get my extension. That includes a visit to the bank to get my letter, plus no more than an hour, sometimes 30 minutes in immigration to present the paperwork. Obviously your time is so valuable you are prepared to pay thousands of baht to save yourself this gross inconvenience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Wrong, uninformed and judgemental.

I know several guys in Bangkok who are wealthy and have no time to waste going thru the process.

They can well afford an agent to do it for them.

Not all agent users are in your described category. Not even close.

How arrogant. Can't be bothered. And we're the judgemental ones 55555

I can't be bothered so I'll just break the law of a foreign country because I can. Can't trouble myself to wait behind all the poors.

I've always diyd my visas and extensions. Always did visa runs instead of shonky extensions prior to getting married.

It's valuable knowledge. Appreciated getting OUT of Thailand for a bit as well.

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What is this "hours or days in immigration lines"? I spend a max of 2 hours once a year to get my extension. That includes a visit to the bank to get my letter, plus no more than an hour, sometimes 30 minutes in immigration to present the paperwork. Obviously your time is so valuable you are prepared to pay thousands of baht to save yourself this gross inconvenience.

Because he has so many more important matters to attend to.

5 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

How arrogant. Can't be bothered. And we're the judgemental ones 55555

I can't be bothered so I'll just break the law of a foreign country because I can. Can't trouble myself to wait behind all the poors.

I've always diyd my visas and extensions. Always did visa runs instead of shonky extensions prior to getting married.

It's valuable knowledge. Appreciated getting OUT of Thailand for a bit as well.

Arrogant, yes, lazy, yes, supposed to attend in person anyway

Some agents will not even do this service its so offensive to them

Wealthy foreigners that think they can buy a professionals time like they buy a girl in  bar is offensive

Edited by notamember

12 minutes ago, notamember said:

Wealthy foreigners that think they can buy a professionals time like they buy a girl in  bar is offensive

Don't wealthy Thai's buy professionals?? Say lawyers ,, accountants.

Thai arrogance is what I find offensive.

As for the latest Visa rule changes ,,, they are NOT changes , they are enforcement of the current laws. All that is being stopped is some of the illegal "go arounds"

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1