What kind of Visa will I need? HELP!

Hey all!

My partner and i have been in Chiang Mai since Jan 2nd on a tourist visa, we originally arrived on a 30 day. We extended at the end of jan for another 30 days at the local immigration office. In this time we have since decided that we would like to extend our stay for a possible 3-6 months or so. We have applied for an online teaching position with a Chinese company and have since been offered a job. 

My question is 1.) what sort of visa will we need to apply for? 2.) Will this require a border run or can we obtain a visa in Chiang Mai? Or will we need to fly out of the country all together.

I thought it might be relevant to also note that we have been to Thailand 4 times since June '18. Will this cause us any issues in obtaining a visa? Or being able to do a border run? Last year we came into Thailand twice, once through Cambodia, and this year through Laos.

Any help would be massively appreciated as there is a lot of conflicting and outdated information online. Our visa runs out on the 2nd March so we would like to get this sorted ASAP. Thanks in advance. 

About you only option is to get single entry tourist visas at a nearby embassy or consulate. The visa will allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

Then if you want to stay longer to get another tourist visa.

The only visa which will be available to you will be a single-entry tourist visa which can only be obtained at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in another country. 

NB It would seem you do not currently have a tourist visa as it appears you entered the country using the visa-exempt scheme which provides a 30 day(extendable) stay

Edited by Christophers200

Depends on what kind of work you do

Do you just sit in your room, do everything online and get paid back in your home country from a company in China, or do you go to an office and receive money in Thailand?

Edited by jackdd

1 minute ago, Pstone1 said:

so not a tourist visa? will i still have to leave the country for a non b visa and work permit or can i get one in thailand?

You would not be able to get a non-b visa or work permit since you apparently will not be working for a Thai company.

Since you will working online a work permit is not normally needed as long as you keep a low profile about what you are doing.

Lot of topics about working online on this forum.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I've got an appointment next week with the embassy in Kuala Lumpur. Ive tried emailing them about a query i have but they aren't responding so i just want to know one more thing.

It states on their website you need to book a ticket in and out of Thailand for the visa. If the visa lasts for 60 days am I able to go to the immigration office in Chiang mai and extend for another 30? Ideally I want to stay until the end of May. Will they accept a flight booked out of Thailand after 60 days or do I literally have to book a flight out once the 60 days are up?

Thanks so much!