Anyone used Ukraine International Airlines?

Crossy

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

They used Air India last time, could UIA be any worse?

No experience, but judging the web reviews about as bad.

It might sound hysteric but I would feel unwell to fly into Ukraine airspace.

You know why.

Just checked two Europe to Bangkok routes (TG and BA) and they both still do a wide detour to avoid Ukraine.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

as they were 400 squid cheaper (there are 4 coming, not sure if that was a total or each)

Hard to believe that they would be 400 Pounds cheaper per person.

Tons of return flights from London to Bangkok in April in the 6xx Pounds range with reputable airlines.

And even UIA won't fly for 2xx Pounds.

I see them indeed less than 100 Pounds cheaper.

Each to his own.

And hope they don't have the 26 hour total trip time inbound.

I did fly with them a couple times. Very basic, not much legroom, service very average. The KBV airport is an overcrowded hellhole in the summer (they fortunately have a basic business lounge, where you can find refuge from the eagerly vacationing masses).

BUT very cheap (they also have very decent rates for one way flights) and have one of the shortest total trip times from BKK to my part of Europe.

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Ukraine International Airlines

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Personally I would not choose to fly with either airline.

As for the cost, surely the £400 saving is for the group rather than per person, as mentioned.

You dont say what price they are actually paying, or give their exact dates, but I see Qatar at £497 for a 14-day return in April, and that would be my choice if I was flying economy.

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Personally I would not choose to fly with either airline.

Neither would I, but I'm not them, they are definitely on a budget.

Of course the whole thing revolves around school holidays = increased fares.

A quick look at Skyscanner puts UIA @ 1763 squid for the 4 of them for their dates.

Next cheapest one-stopper is Finnair @ 1856 squid.

I know who i would rather fly with ????

Cheapest non-stop looks like BA @ 3415 squid for the 4.

On 2/16/2019 at 5:38 PM, Crossy said:

I used Sri Lankan once, they were actually  quite  good and Sri Lanka  airport was nice and small/cozy,Used  Turkish Air crap service and Emirates a  few  years  back, all business class

Turkish cheapest 1400 pounds to UK return Emirates most expensive 2500 pounds SriLankan 1780 pounds, given the choice Sri  Lankan was the most enjoyable, Emirates is  over priced and service is no  longer  good  enough for that price

On 2/16/2019 at 10:38 AM, Crossy said:

Since you asked....

First leg to Kiev will be on a Ryanair style 737-800 or 900. The newest being around six years old....if you are lucky. Otherwise a nine year old 737...

Second leg could be on a 767. Never heard of 'em? That's because they are already twenty seven years old! 

If they are lucky, they might travel on one of UIA's "new. modern aircraft", their 777-2Q8...which is a mere fourteen years old.

Ukraine Air is just fine - one advantage now is that if you want extra legroom they have an Economy Premium section or you can pay extra for an exit row seat. I use them often when flying between Kiev and neighboring countries. Quite professional compared to other airlines in the region. They are quite picky about baggage weight rules in cabin and checked, so plan accordingly - they will charge you at the gate. 

I must be completely outdated, didn't know Ukraine had national airline company always thout they only had

""The world's biggest plane, the Antonov An-225 Mriya, took to the skies Tuesday from Kiev Antonov airport outside the Ukrainian capital """"

Used them last summer. The Kiev-Bangkok leg of the flight now uses brand new modern airplanes with onboard entertainment. Not the biggest legroom but fine. Food was ok. You have to pay for alcohol. The fight path avoids the troubled regions (Crimea, Eastern Ukraine) I had a good flight with them at a very good price. Would recommend.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:15 AM, Bigz said:

Used them last summer. The Kiev-Bangkok leg of the flight now uses brand new modern airplanes with onboard entertainment. Not the biggest legroom but fine. Food was ok. You have to pay for alcohol. The fight path avoids the troubled regions (Crimea, Eastern Ukraine) I had a good flight with them at a very good price. Would recommend.

Yeah...rite, brand new modern fourteen year old 'planes....

Perhaps you missed my earlier post. 

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Thanks to everyone who has replied, we shall see what state they are in when they arrive.

By the way, they arrive on April 1st :whistling:

Arriving in one piece is the most important thing. A little bit of discomfort on the way is nothing.

Archived