SURVEY: How will Brexit affect you or people close to you?

Scott

SURVEY: How will Brexit affect you?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With Brexit looming large in the near future, which option best sums up how you think Brexit will affect you in the short term (next 2 years or thereabouts)?

There could be an endless number of choices, so pick one that is closest and feel free to leave a comment.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The sharp decline in the £/Bhtexchange rate immediately following the referendum and steady weakness since might be a bit of a hint.

True, but not 100% true.

From 2 years (March 2017) ago Sterling/Thai Baht is worth 94%.   The US Dollar is worth 88%.

That is not down to Brexit.

On 15 March 2017 the XE rate GBP/EUR was 1.139  -  today it is 1.14.

38 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Given absolutely no one know how Brexit will pan out this has to be the most pointless poll of the pointless polls I've seen.

May gets a deal baht around 44 - she fails to get a deal baht around 28-30 (to the pound) - it will be carnage.

So how the **** can anyone answer any of those questions ?

So why do You poke your beak in..?.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The sharp decline in the £/Bhtexchange rate immediately following the referendum and steady weakness since might be a bit of a hint.

There's no doubt that the brexit result resulted in a drop in sterling - as everyone expected a remain result.

The money markets etc. hate the idea of brexit.

It's up to the individual as to whether they prefer to rely on the money markets/'expert opinon'/ or their own real life experiences....

1 hour ago, LucysDad said:

True, but not 100% true.

From 2 years (March 2017) ago Sterling/Thai Baht is worth 94%.   The US Dollar is worth 88%.

You're missing the FACTs, Brexit is pulling the whole of the western worlds currencies down, and it's all the Brits fault.

If only we could halt Brexit, all the western currencies would immediately recover to pre-vote levels.

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're missing the FACTs, Brexit is pulling the whole of the western worlds currencies down, and it's all the Brits fault.

If only we could halt Brexit, all the western currencies would immediately recover to pre-vote levels.

And you are missing what's going on in the rest of the world. Much bigger than the UK OR the EU.

Brexit is a great opportunity ,,,,

FARK the euro-trash ,,,Britain , US , Australia , Canada , NZ etc should have let the Germans have them. 

The opportunity is to bring back the COMMONWEALTH. Let's see how Europe go's negotiating trade deals with us.

As for Northern island ,, I am sure the US can add a mexican wall ????

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Ahhhh........ thought that I must have missed a trick there. There was me foolishly thinking that much of it was down to greedy b4stards speculating - and Baht strength...... got it now....

Best cancel Brexit and we can get back to GBP/THB  71

3 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Germany lost 2 Nill, they will win the Backdoor Way if the Brits dont get out. Norway remembers and keeps friends like England close not Germans.They are wanted for Milking, noting else. 

This is a typical anti German cheap propaganda. Obviously, Germany will also be negatively affected by Brexit, as other EU countries, but the real BIG loser will be the UK. Unfortunately, and I mean it, wait and see......

3 hours ago, LucysDad said:

True, but not 100% true.

But what was the exchange rate prior to the referendum in June 2016 and thereafter, against the Euro or US Dollar. Obviously the Baht has strengthened against most currencies, but at the same time the Pound weakend against most currencies. Therefore the devaluation of the Pound to the Baht is stronger. Just common sense.

I have legal residency and a home in France. A no deal crash out, even a deal departure could call all that in to question. I could end up paying alot more  tax ( although they  call it something else it is just another  tax) there for French healthcare   not entirely free  as it is, looks as if it will be harder to get my Thai wife a visa for short or long stays to France when I become a third country national. Very easy as an EU citizen. My income is all from the UK too and has fallen by 20% and may fall further against both the € and the baht, so things are getting tight. So despite the ever more strict visa rules here, hassle of annual renewals, need for and cost of basic healthcare insurance here,  I am now seriously considering making Thailand my permanent all year round home! But if I do that, I will have no escape except back to UK....without the wife, without a home there.

24 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

This is a typical anti German cheap propaganda. Obviously, Germany will also be negatively affected by Brexit, as other EU countries, but the real BIG loser will be the UK. Unfortunately, and I mean it, wait and see......

Facts are propaganda to Millennial's. History Repeats its self.

3 hours ago, zyphodb said:

All I have in the UK is debt, so doesn't affect me at all...

Ditto apart from a vanishingly small state pension when I eventually retire.

If the wheel comes off the pound (it likely won't) I'll be buying sterling like there's no tomorrow.

4 hours ago, LucysDad said:

True, but not 100% true.

Only a Brexiter could quote such a useless statistic

Why not take the average for a month before Brexit and and, say Jan 19. Spot rates can not be used in the way you suggest. Regression!

Its about 20%

I'll check movement against CHF - about 15%

So, 5% THB appreciation,15% Brexit idiocy?

Need expert opinions here....

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

There's no doubt that the brexit result resulted in a drop in sterling - as everyone expected a remain result.

The money markets etc. hate the idea of brexit.

It's up to the individual as to whether they prefer to rely on the money markets/'expert opinon'/ or their own real life experiences....

May I set you straight there, DD?  The money markets, as you call it, DO NOT CARE one way or the other, about Brexit.  Volatility can be their friend.  They will be trading the UP's, and the DOWN's, and making money in both directions; it is not a zero sum game.  For currency traders who like to trade a trend, then the fall in GPBUSD since the referendum vote will have made them a lot of money.  One historic and egregious example is when George Soros took enormous short positions back in the pound crunch days, and, when the pound tumbled, his hedge fund made billions!

For anyone who is optimistic about Brexit, once the UK is cleanly gone from the EU, there is every chance that the pound will start to strengthen, and there will be a long-term UP-trend; lots of money will be made there by traders who are "long" the market.  They will be giving thanks for Brexit!

31 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Why not take the average for a month before Brexit and and, say Jan 19. Spot rates can not be used in the way you suggest. Regression!

Its about 20%

Brexit uncertainty has definitely had an effect on the weakening of GBP, but shouldn't be seen in isolation.  The UK economy has largely held up against all expectations, despite the barrage of doom and gloom being fired from all sides.  Who is to say which side is right, it is all conjecture currently?  The fact is that the decision was made in 2016, and everyone must get used to that fact, and make the most of it.  The UK's GDP growth in the last quarter was better than Germany's and the EU generally.  The EU, and more particularly, the Euro Zone, are in something of a parlous state currently, and, going forward, one has reason to be cautiously pessimistic about outcomes.

8 minutes ago, allanos said:

Brexit uncertainty has definitely had an effect on the weakening of GBP, but shouldn't be seen in isolation.  The UK economy has largely held up against all expectations, despite the barrage of doom and gloom being fired from all sides.  Who is to say which side is right, it is all conjecture currently?  The fact is that the decision was made in 2016, and everyone must get used to that fact, and make the most of it.  The UK's GDP growth in the last quarter was better than Germany's and the EU generally.  The EU, and more particularly, the Euro Zone, are in something of a parlous state currently, and, going forward, one has reason to be cautiously pessimistic about outcomes.

Then provide a range of currencies to demonstrate the typical movement from before the referendum to Now?

49 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Its about 20%

Pre-referendum GBP v USD was 1.43, now at 1.29, so this is about 10%. GBP v THB is indeed down 20% from the pre-referendum level but the loss is really 10% due to Baht strength and 10% due to post Brexit speculation. The Euro is also down about 11% over the same period against the THB but we'd better not talk about that as it might be construed as idiocy! 

Archived