When can I come back. How long can I stay. How often can I come back?

12 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

It is the simple solution and I will do it.  I will live here the most time I can on the tourist visa, until they stop that way.  They must stop that way.  So many people will change to it.  

No big money in Thai bank, np paper work, no reporting, easy.  Visit famliy back home for a few weeks and pick up new visas,  Have a hoiday in another place in the area, and come back Thaiand for 9 months.  So funny to do like this.   

I wouldn't bank on being able to live in Thailand 9 months EVERY year based on using a METV. My vote no. Others might suggest otherwise. Side note....big money? 25k USD. Big money when your 25yr old. Shouldn't be when your retired 50+

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I wouldn't bank on being able to live in Thailand 9 months EVERY year based on using a METV. My vote no. Others might suggest otherwise. Side note....big money? 25k USD. Big money when your 25yr old. Shouldn't be when your retired 50+

I think they will also stop it soon, but I will do it until they change that rule also.  I have the money.  I refuse to pay it on principle.  I decide what I do with my personal finances.  Not Thailand Immigration.  But I don't complain.  You will not see me complain here.  It is my choice not to pay. 

In the future I don't think I will be the only one to visa run into Thailand, rather than visa run out of Thailand.   

On 2/16/2019 at 6:54 AM, Thailand Outcast said:

They will not miss me or my money.  I know that and it's fine.  I must now look at living somewhere other than Thailand.  I did not think to ask about the rules for coming back sometimes, so now I ask.  Ubonjoe says not many will leave and come back using tourist visas.  The time will tell for this.   I think if many leave and come back on tourist visas that will be the next visa rule change. 

People who are married, can always go back to Savvanakhet for 90-day ME visa. That will take care of them and they have to just do a border bounce every 90-day. Some will go back to their home country every two years to get O-A, instead of putting money in a Thai bank. Lots of people are also keeping 800K in Thai bank throughout the year. No issue with them. People who are already bringing in 65K every month, no changes for them. Some will recirculate the income. A few single  recent retirees will move to neighboring countries (not Malaysia which is far more stringent and expensive requirements).  Everybody will find their ways. 

Out of all these groups, I think the 800K guys are the winner because there is no change for them. And baht is becoming stronger and by 2022, it may reach 22 baht/USD. This 800K group (along with 65K/month income) may be grandfathered when the immigration raises its requirements close to Malaysia's requirements (my guess before 2032).  But for 65K/month will require more dollars as baht becomes stronger. O-A visas may require health insurance and Savvanakhet may be a tale of the past. Just think about people who brought 800K when the baht was 40THB/USD. So, I say 800K guys are the winners in this game.

Edited by onera1961

1 hour ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I refuse to pay it on principle.  I decide what I do with my personal finances.  Not Thailand Immigration. 

Instead of an METV, you can get an O-A visa. Two years of hassle free stay without visiting immigration, keep your money where you want and bring as little or as much as you want in to Thailand for general expenses.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, onera1961 said:

People who are married, can always go back to Savvanakhet for 90-day ME visa. That will take care of them and they have to just do a border bounce every 90-day. Some will go back to their home country every two years to get O-A, instead of putting money in a Thai bank. Lots of people are also keeping 800K in Thai bank throughout the year. No issue with them. People who are already bringing in 65K every month, no changes for them. Some will recirculate the income. A few single  recent retirees will move to neighboring countries (not Malaysia which is far more stringent and expensive requirements).  Everybody will find their ways. 

Out of all these groups, I think the 800K guys are the winner because there is no change for them. And baht is becoming stronger and by 2022, it may reach 22 baht/USD. This 800K group (along with 65K/month income) may be grandfathered when the immigration raises its requirements close to Malaysia's requirements (my guess before 2032).  But for 65K/month will require more dollars as baht becomes stronger. O-A visas may require health insurance and Savvanakhet may be a tale of the past. Just think about people who brought 800K when the baht was 40THB/USD. So, I say 800K guys are the winners in this game.

You say the 800k guys are the winner.  Yes, this is true, until they make it 1.5 million.  Of course, many on this website site will say, no problem, and for sure, it is no problem for many.  I can also do this money, but like the 800k, I chose not to.  It's an easy way to raise easy money for Thai banks.  I will not be forced into a bad investment. 

Yes, many people will find a way, or try to.  I think many people can not afford to do a different way and will leave or overstay.  This is just my thinking.  I think the O visa will be made harder in future, not just for insurance, but income and other things as well.

How long before Savvanaket change?  They will change it soon because everyone go there. 

You say many correct things that I agree, and you are seeing what they are doing.  I think this is the start of changing rules for many different types of expats.  They are just starting with the month income group and will look to the others in the future. 

20 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Instead of an METV, you can get an O-A visa. Two years of hassle free stay without visiting immigration, keep your money where you want and bring as little or as much as you want in to Thailand for general expenses.

I will look into this visa.  I thought you had to get this visa in your country.  This is why I think to tourist visas until I go back to my country.    

On 2/16/2019 at 7:54 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

I just input money into the Thai economy, not so much the  Thai bank system, over several years.  They will not miss me or my money.  I know that and it's fine. 

The Thais whose jobs cannot be supported w/o your spending will miss their incomes if you leave.

I must now look at living somewhere other than Thailand.  I did not think to ask about the rules for coming back sometimes, so now I ask.  Ubonjoe says not many will leave and come back using tourist visas.  The time will tell for this.   I think if many leave and come back on tourist visas that will be the next visa rule change. 

On 2/16/2019 at 9:08 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

I read about the young people having this tourist visa problem.  I think now many older people will be in this same group as the younger people and maybe they change the rule again to stop the many people using the tourist visas to stay here each year.

Immigration at some bad-entry points are already interrogating older snowbirds who spend 6 mo and less here per-year, and telling them they are not permitted to stay this long.  This not a legal reason to deny-entry.  There is no legal limit on time-in-country on Tourist Visas per-year(s).

The solution, is that you must do your entries at law-abiding land-borders, rather than the lawless airports where they make up non-existent rules, then stamp a rejection-stamp in your passport with a "real rule" based on a lie - (usually claiming you may not have the money to support yourself here - though that would be the case for all tourist entries, even more so with new-visitors than repeat-ones. 

If coming from afar, you can fly into Vientiane or Penang, enter by land, then fly-onwards domestic-air.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:15 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

9 months a year in Thailand is a holiday here? 

Some holiday here for most days of years.  If you have the income/funds, why not?  The only problem is the hassle, due to not being able to extend a tourist-visa past 90-days total in-country (unless one has Thai-family, which opens other options).

On 2/16/2019 at 9:31 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

I think many other people will start this method in the future and then they must change that rule also.  Then it stops for everyone, young and old. 

On 2/16/2019 at 9:48 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

Do you think they will let us all do this?  I have no proof they will change tourist visa law, but I think they will because so many will move to this visa.  You don't think this will happen?

On 2/17/2019 at 10:16 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

Yes, but how many holidays can you have here in a year?  How often can these holidays be?  How long can each holiday be? 

There is no legal limit.  But the head IOs at bad entry-points don't care what the law says, and make up different limits depending on how they feel that day.

Will they make an actual legal-limit someday?  Perhaps, but we have no way of knowing.  Whoever is paying the bad entry-points to break the law could also start paying off other entry-points to get them to follow suit.

On 2/19/2019 at 5:23 PM, Thailand Outcast said:
On 2/18/2019 at 9:17 PM, onera1961 said:

I will look into this visa.  I thought you had to get this visa in your country.  This is why I think to tourist visas until I go back to my country.    

You do have to get it in your country - same as the METV. 

The tourist visa may become the default visa of those people forced to leave.  I expect to see more media stories about rules changes for people who have lived here for years, going out and coming back in on tourist visas, en masse.

On 2/18/2019 at 7:43 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

It is the simple solution and I will do it.  I will live here the most time I can on the tourist visa, until they stop that way.  They must stop that way.  So many people will change to it.  

No big money in Thai bank, np paper work, no reporting, easy.  Visit famliy back home for a few weeks and pick up new visas,  Have a hoiday in another place in the area, and come back Thaiand for 9 months.  So funny to do like this.   

The METV requires getting extensions after 60-days and doing an out/in every 90-days, or doing out/ins every 60-days.  SETVs require at least a couple days somewhere to get them.  This is much more expensive than staying here retired (why it is silly to claim those spending time here this way have a money-issue), and a hassle.

Most will not want to do the Tourist-Visa Shuffle, and will spend most of their time/money in The Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam, The Caribbean, Latin America, etc.  There are many countries who don't try to prevent their own citizens from making money and getting ahead in life from selling goods/services to self-funded visitors.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 4:21 AM, Thailand Outcast said:

You say the 800k guys are the winner.  Yes, this is true, until they make it 1.5 million. 

MY reasoning is that if they make it 1.5 million and grandfather 800K people (based on the past actions), nothing changes for 800K people. But for other groups like O-A, which are not grandfathered, they have to show 1.5 million. For monthly income people bringing 65K/month, even if grandfathered, have to convert more dollar for the same baht. One thing is sure baht will appreciate in coming years due to massive foreign direct investment and a flood gate of tourists from China and India. 

10 hours ago, onera1961 said:

One thing is sure baht will appreciate in coming years due to massive foreign direct investment and a flood gate of tourists from China and India. 

That may happen - and people would be wise to prepare for that possibility - but I would not say it is "sure."  There are many factors which can change the equation.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

A lot of people talking about not staying here anymore. If they do these adjustments and stay, what are all of these changes for? Maybe give more money to the Thai banking system? If the tourist visa rules stay the same, that's ok. I can live 6 months Thailand and 6 months somewhere else, but it is difficult to chose the other place. I ask this question on a different forum.

For me I settled on Vietnam. If things go according to plan, I will receive the visa at the airport in Saigon, which I applied for online - three months, a place rented in Quy Nhon near the beach, motor scooters to rent by people who claim they do maintenance on their machines. Long enough to decide if I want to stay there, apply for TV to Thailand there, or go to Sri Lanka, if they don't start a civil war in the meantime.  

Be glad you have the freedom to choose.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 7:43 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

Some of those will be rejected entry due to lack of fund, suspicious of working illegally, or living in Thailand on ED visa. 

Not all rejected visas posted on TV. 

Edited by The Theory

On 2/17/2019 at 10:16 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

Yes, but how many holidays can you have here in a year?  How often can these holidays be?  How long can each holiday be?  The tourist visa may become the default visa of those people forced to leave.  I expect to see more media stories about rules changes for people who have lived here for years, going out and coming back in on tourist visas, en masse. 

I've entered 35 times in 6 years on a mix of exempt, SETV amd METV and not once have the IO's hesitated to stamp me in

On 2/16/2019 at 9:13 PM, Christophers200 said:

Nothing is going to prevent a person from using a tourist visa for a holiday and then returning home. 

Get off your high horse!  You are quite active these days, feeling more and more confident that you are some kind of judge and jury, and adding absolutely no information, knowledge or insight, ever. You are saying the same nonsense you said on the last thread.  And the one before that and the one before that and the one before...zzz

Now that more folks will be spending more time in other countries in the region (spending money there, instead of Thailand), it is even more critical that immigration either stop hassling repeat-tourists, or specify whatever their limits are. 

All over social-media it's horror stories about Thailand immigration, now.  On this forum, we have our first report of a first-time visitor being interrogated (Bangkok airport, of course) and told the 60-day stay from his valid Tourist Visa was "impossible."

People need to be able to make plans and know they will be allowed to enter the country if they follow the published rules (and any IO/supervisor who violates those rules will go to jail).  Can the OP rent a condo for 3 mo? 6 mo?  Twice a year for 3 mo each time?  2 mo each time?  Separated by how long before coming back, w/o any risk of a denial-of-entry based on an lie / illegal acting IO/supervisor with no oversight?

Otherwise, all those who used to live here - and those that will now never come to spend money here full-time - will be afraid to even visit, making matters even worse for the few Thais who manage to continue working in higher-wage-paying, Western-serving businesses (vs the min-wage "tour group" serving ones). 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2019 at 4:42 AM, onera1961 said:

MY reasoning is that if they make it 1.5 million and grandfather 800K people (based on the past actions), nothing changes for 800K people. But for other groups like O-A, which are not grandfathered, they have to show 1.5 million. For monthly income people bringing 65K/month, even if grandfathered, have to convert more dollar for the same baht. One thing is sure baht will appreciate in coming years due to massive foreign direct investment and a flood gate of tourists from China and India. 

But when the baht appreciates, it makes it difficult for Thailand's manufacturing sector, and tourism sector, and these two sectors are very big employers in Thailand.   Companies will get things made in factories in countries where it is cheaper, and tourists will go for a holiday in counties where it is cheaper.  

I now think to the O-A visa but so will many other people.  Then they will change that visa also.  

I will do some tourist visa and some O-A visa until they stop me, but no way to I give money to the Thailand bank system, which is Thailand economy, just for long visa.  Thailand should manage their economy better.  Not look to force foreigners to prop up the economy.

I came to Thailand for freedom.  Not to be told what I must do with my money.   But I do not complain.  I play some game for a while, and all this while I look for another place to live.  Then I go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because I have just started a new thread about the detention process for people who will be moving onto tourist visas. 

Some of this thread, about the amount of tourist visas you can have, crosses over into the new thread, should someone be denied entry at an airport for having too many exemption stamps or tourist visas. 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2019 at 3:00 AM, MadMuhammad said:

I've entered 35 times in 6 years on a mix of exempt, SETV amd METV and not once have the IO's hesitated to stamp me in

This is why the other thread I started may be of interest to you.

It's possible that you will do the same thing you have been doing for the last 6 years, but now, you are detained, denied entry, and exited from Thailand. 

• Like 1

Very informative and essential post, thanks.

I join those who think the immigration problems will get worst, it's the direction it takes since a few years on many different things related, so... For any expat, any visa, as reported. Some want to stay in denial mode, fine for them until...

Actually it came to my mind that the main point could be : what entry point is better to avoid ? Like Don Muang obviously. Makes travels not easy but may be a solution, at least temporarely.

Others ?

And relative to both the "immigration lottery better to avoid" part, and a back-up plan, maybe interesting to thing about train and land border. Again there was stories about bad borders ? But at least you are not in risk of detention, airport extended time, and ticket to buy last minute...

And boat ? Seriously.

Would be of course better if immigration could change this rude orientation with no clear and simple rules applied. The new 800K requirements, the 24h address change report, or the 90 days reports, are others nonsense or willingness to put farang out.

For me i will not renew my retirement extension, for sure. So will only spend max 90 or 180 days per year in Thailand, maybe... Depends actually, of quantity of immigration issues reported, possible solutions (train etc.), and of the new countries i will explore. 

29 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

I join those who think the immigration problems will get worst, it's the direction it takes since a few years on many different things related, so... For any expat, any visa, as reported. Some want to stay in denial mode, fine for them until...

Actually it came to my mind that the main point could be : what entry point is better to avoid ? Like Don Muang obviously. Makes travels not easy but may be a solution, at least temporarely.

Others ?

And relative to both the "immigration lottery better to avoid" part, and a back-up plan, maybe interesting to thing about train and land border. Again there was stories about bad borders ? But at least you are not in risk of detention, airport extended time, and ticket to buy last minute...

And boat ? Seriously.

Would be of course better if immigration could change this rude orientation with no clear and simple rules applied. The new 800K requirements, the 24h address change report, or the 90 days reports, are others nonsense or willingness to put farang out.

For me i will not renew my retirement extension, for sure. So will only spend max 90 or 180 days per year in Thailand, maybe... Depends actually, of quantity of immigration issues reported, possible solutions (train etc.), and of the new countries i will explore. 

Umm, I struggle with your post. You state your on extension based on retirement. How have things changed. I use money in bank. Was not clear what you use. When my next extension is due I will place 800+ in a fixed deposit a/c and leave it ongoing. The tm30 you mention is for SOME imm offices. 

BTW give update of country you plan is easy peasy in asia

Using metv for 8 mths stay then heading back to your home country and applying for another and returning immediately may or may not cause problems. I spend two months back in my home country before returning.

Getting visas elsewhere and Not returning back to your home country seems to worry Imm.

A criminal on the run maybe. 

I am currently living in the USA, and working across US and Asia, and am able to work remote most of the time.  As such,  I plan on two stays in Thailand of 25 days, and probably four other stays of 1-3 week at a time..... spread evenly through the year.   Can I safely assume i will be fine using 30 day Visa Stamps from USA?  Thanks much.......

7 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

I am currently living in the USA, and working across US and Asia, and am able to work remote most of the time.  As such,  I plan on two stays in Thailand of 25 days, and probably four other stays of 1-3 week at a time..... spread evenly through the year.   Can I safely assume i will be fine using 30 day Visa Stamps from USA?  Thanks much.......

I would say you should not have a problem getting 30 day visa exempt entries for your trips since the are all less than 30 days and more than likely weeks or months apart.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, stud858 said:

Using metv for 8 mths stay then heading back to your home country and applying for another and returning immediately may or may not cause problems. I spend two months back in my home country before returning.

Getting visas elsewhere and Not returning back to your home country seems to worry Imm.

I am currently looking at all options, even a visit back to my home country. 

I'm leaning towards what many others have said they will do, that is, 180 days Thailand, and 180 days elsewhere. 

I would like to break up my 180 days for shorter, but more frequent visits, but I will monitor reports from the airports about people being turned around.  

They really do need to set specific rules for the use of tourist visas, but TiT.   

On 3/18/2019 at 1:54 AM, Sambotte said:

Others ?

And boat ? Seriously.

I also think the situation will get worse, but not just for the visa laws themselves.

External influences like exchange rates will effect many, come retirement visa renewal time, particularly Brit's, with the Brexit.

I think it's also possible other Embassies may stop issuing proof of income letters.

As time ticks by, those who can no longer qualify for the visa they had been using in the past, will probably move to tourist visas, and I think this is where the system will be strained to a point where we may see a major announcement.  I think this may also be the case with the O-A visa.  

For the record, such predictions and opinions are not scare mongering.  They are based on many in the expat population taking the path of least resistance and affordability, which is human nature.

We are already seeing many reports of people being refused visas, and people being denied entry.  These people will go away and tray again later, on top of the people coming off retirement visas and moving onto tourist visas.  In my opinion, there will be a snow ball effect.  

i expect Thailand's tourism figures to soar this year.  ????

The best one in this situation can do is be prepared, which also includes exploring another place to live for a while.   

On 3/18/2019 at 2:55 AM, stud858 said:

I take your point, but the problem is, the Thai consulate or embassy in your home country issues you a visa, so you think all is ok, then you land in Thailand, where you could be denied entry for staying in Thailand too long on tourist visas. 

This is the dilemma many face, as there is no official policy addressing the frequency and duration in which one can use tourist visas.

If it was me, I would live in Vietnam 6 months and Thailand 6 months.  1 year visa in Vietnam is around $300.  Then you need a couple of tourist visas to Thailand per year . That should work. 

23 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I think it's also possible other Embassies may stop issuing proof of income letters.

Late last year, one poster reported being told by the Canadian embassy that they will be stopping the income letters soon. The fact it hasn't happened yet isn't a guarantee that it won't. They might be just riding out the clock, or they might have decided to continue with business as usual until immigration issues some consistent instructions.