Certificate of non-impediment - British Embassy

Kjglen

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I live in Thailand and have done for the past 2 years. My partner (same sex) is Thai and we are engaged to be married.

We are planning on getting married legally in Denmark. However, the law there states I need two things:

A CNI from my home country (the UK), but will need to get that from the Embassy 

A CNI from any country I have resided in since I was 18 - Thailand is one.

The British Embassy website states that they can only issue for individuals marrying in Thailand? Also they don't do it for same sex marriages as it isn't legal here. Any advice on what I can do? It makes no sense as the UK registry won't issue me one either. 

Thanks in advance 

2 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Everywhere?  Have you really checked what "everywhere" requires? 

Same sex marriage isn't legal in most countries. Most that do require residence status for a certain period of time (3 months min).

So yep, checked everywhere 

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Could you not do the legal formalities in one jurisdiction & the wedding elsewhere at a later date?

('Registry office v Church' in old money although in you case you'll be in different countries

According to the OP the legal formalities are insurmountable and he claims to have checked everywhere

3 hours ago, Kjglen said:

Seems everywhere does.... 

There are US states like Vermont and California and all of Canada.

There are daily flights to Canada and you can be in and out in a day.

Keep in mind that being married  does not necessarily impute legal benefits or rights in jurisdictions where marriage is defined as a  union between two different genders. You may be better off with a civil partner agreement, which in some jurisdictions is the equivalent of a marriage.

Note. It took me all of 2 minutes to look up that Canada  allows marriage for visitors on a tourist visitor (it's automatically granted to EU citizens) and that a marriage license is applied for online.

Perhaps, the inability to  identify this option indicates that the OP really should not get married.

Archived