Setting up a new bank account in Thailand

Hello all,

I need to open a bank/savings account here in Thailand in order to continue with my retirement extensions. I am currently living in a small town in western Chanthaburi province, Na Yai Am. Population approximately (I don't know, can't find it listed online) it has 2-7/11's, 3 pharmacies, an amphur and a small hospital. I'm guessing only a few thousand folks. It's a bump along route 3 between Rayong and Chanthaburi City.

It does have a branch of "Bangkok Bank" where I would prefer to open an account. I am from the U.S. and they have a branch in New York. 

My question/concern is this; if I am somehow able to open an account at this remote branch of Bangkok Bank in this small hamlet, will I have access to the full banking services of their organization, i.e., online banking, debit card ATM access, transferring funds from the U.S. etc.?  Will I be able to walk into any Bangkok Bank branch in Thailand and do business, or would my account be local and restricted to this one small branch?

Any thoughts or advice about this would be most welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

From the Bangkok Bank website

"2. If you hold a tourist visa or non- immigrant (long-stay) visa 

1. Passport

2. ONE of the following documents:

2.1 A letter of recommendation from an embassy, international organization, your home bank (sent via SWIFT), a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as a BBL staff member or customer, government officer or company executive), or from a national institution of your home country (such as pension fund);

2.2 Another document showing your name and address"

yes, of course you would have access to all their accounts and services, why would n't you? your only problem would be actually opening the account, especially if you are going to be their first and only foreign customer.

54 minutes ago, MikeN said:

yes, of course you would have access to all their accounts and services, why would n't you? your only problem would be actually opening the account, especially if you are going to be their first and only foreign customer.

Thanks, MikeN. Yes, I'm thinking I might be better off going into a larger city where they may service foreigners more often. 

Errm... you will not be their first foreign customer as I'm holding the account. The problem is they didn't allow me to open an account with them until I get my work permit. I already had BKK bank account but it's from Chiang mai and always got this bank fee charge every time I deposit or withdraw from account. 

You should open the account in Chanthaburi bangkok bank to avoid charges. They have a branch along tha chalaep road.

Archived