Why, after 9 months, Retired in Thailand, I left and am back in the USA?

CaptainJack

Hi!

I really was not planning on posting on this topic, but I figured I owe it to those who have treated me kindly. 

To catch y'all up, I went back to Austin for 3 weeks, stayed with my best friend and put together a staged program to explore retirement in Latin, American.   I am writing from Mexico this morning,  just finished breakfast and a cappuccino. 

I will be here for two weeks, then on to Colombia,  which is actually where I have my eyes set for many reasons that work for me. Some are ease in obtaining a visa, better weather for me (I don't tolerate the heat well), a 50 percent less lost of living then the USA and a National Medical Insurance I can buy into and afford.  Plus, it is way closer to the USA if I needed to return. 

All is well, my stress level a fraction of what it was and slowly transforming my attitude toward the positive. 

Take care all......20190314_094332.thumb.jpg.b532f3882fe7e0dd1b2d094e4796a1d5.jpg

IMG_20190313_085008_946.jpg

20190311_204848.jpg

20190311_203453.jpg

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

best of luck to you my friend very eloquently put,there has to be tens of thousands of retirees from the USA, UK Australi, who relied on the embassy letter and savings route, at a stroke this has been lost, this must cause a huge hardship to those who chose this route,  like you say you put much money into the thai economy, like all of us , and now i will have to have 1.4 million baht in a thai bank (800,000 + 5 months living expenses), seriously thinking , its not worth it, i can rock up on a bus to Cambodia and get none of this hassle and be 1.4 million baht better off.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:33 PM, CMNightRider said:

When you tally up the Americans, Australians, and British, alone that is a lot of expats living in Thailand.  The Canadians are a bright group of people.  I find it hard to believe they won't be looking for greener pastures as well.  

The ring leaders introducing these new hurdles for expats living in Thailand, will go down in Thai history as the people who killed the goose that laid the golden egg.  By the end of the year, Thai's will clearly see the expat numbers dwindling, as well as their bottom line.  

Get real. The Thais don't give a rats arse about us Farang. Our main chance is the incoming Thai Govt will be more reasonable on Visas.

8 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Hi!

I really was not planning on posting on this topic, but I figured I owe it to those who have treated me kindly. 

To catch y'all up, I went back to Austin for 3 weeks, stayed with my best friend and put together a staged program to explore retirement in Latin, American.   I am writing from Mexico this morning,  just finished breakfast and a cappuccino. 

I will be here for two weeks, then on to Colombia,  which is actually where I have my eyes set for many reasons that work for me. Some are ease in obtaining a visa, better weather for me (I don't tolerate the heat well), a 50 percent less lost of living then the USA and a National Medical Insurance I can buy into and afford.  Plus, it is way closer to the USA if I needed to return. 

All is well, my stress level a fraction of what it was and slowly transforming my attitude toward the positive. 

Take care all......20190314_094332.thumb.jpg.b532f3882fe7e0dd1b2d094e4796a1d5.jpg

IMG_20190313_085008_946.jpg

20190311_204848.jpg

20190311_203453.jpg

Good luck to you CaptainJack ????

Hi!

IMG_20190313_085008_946.thumb.jpg.3d9693d5ab4932b5c2226fb764184301.jpg
20190311_204848.thumb.jpg.c9b06523689d7317d6425136bee8e751.jpg
20190311_203453.thumb.jpg.1c5abb9e502ab56ad9d967ad9f6829fe.jpg
Judging by your 'selfie' pic, you should order 2 breakfasts!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Dear Captainjack,

I am one of the expats with the retirement visa.

I am sorry to hear what had happened to you during your stay in 

chiang  mai.

I have happily lived here with the above visa for years.

However, the military regime has become increasingly hostile toward expats like us in recent years.

The issue  of mandatory health insurance  to the foreign retirees.

It did not really come into effect.

But that topic set me thinking about the possible  near-future relocation.

To somewhere else in SEA with the more relaxed conditions to stay on 

long term. 

All the best for you.

And I hope your plan will well workout.

Good luck, 

On 3/14/2019 at 11:02 PM, CaptainJack said:

Good day Capt Jack,

I have read quite a few of these/your posts and have to say that I concur with a lot of what you've written (and others have written) and I've had similar thoughts of moving locations, but am wondering if I could start again somewhere else at the age of 71?

I've been coming here for 14 years, and living here for 12 now and can just about put up with the heat, but the latest immigration rules have become a bit of a fiasco, especially as different offices will have their own interpretations and that will cause quite a bit of stress for a lot of expats. 

Having said that, I have made quite a few friends here and I believe that is important as one gets older, especially as I live alone (my choice) and I was lucky enough to get onto health insurance when I first came here, so although it costs me about 100,000 baht a year, at least I'm covered.

I did have a lovely ex-girlfriend here, who I could catch up with on a fairly regular basis, and more importantly her/our daughter (unofficially adopted by me) whom I thought the world of, but they have both moved away to another country, at least for the time being, although I'm hoping that my daughter will come back here in the not too distant future. 

So moving countries would be a major for me, but have not ruled it out, so, to get to the point, I can completely understand your rationale and would love to hear how you are faring/how you find the other places you visit, especially Panama as I've read quite a bit about it being retirement friendly.

In the meantime all the very best and I wish you safe travels.

very good post made by capt jack.  i agree with most of the points he makes....however younger people need to learn from this..

there should be more education about preparing for retirement...especialy now that many people can live well into their 90's...

governments world wide, can not afford to fully fund our retirements...

we all have 40yrs+ to save for a decent retirement, if healthy...most people fritter their money away, then 'cry' later....

to any body thinking about retiring in thailand---dont do it, if you have  insufficient funding...stay in your home country.

sure, thai imm. regs are always changing---but i think the 800k requirment , is very realistic--

stay away, if you cant do it....dont cry-- you have had many years to save a pittance like 800thb.

many of us have had business problems and marriage failures---not an excuse for lack of savings.....

20 hours ago, murraynz said:

very good post made by capt jack.  i agree with most of the points he makes....however younger people need to learn from this..

there should be more education about preparing for retirement...especialy now that many people can live well into their 90's...

we all have 40yrs+ to save for a decent retirement, if healthy...most people fritter their money away, then 'cry' later....

to any body thinking about retiring in thailand---dont do it, if you have  insufficient funding...stay in your home country.

sure, thai imm. regs are always changing---but i think the 800k requirment , is very realistic--

stay away, if you cant do it....dont cry-- you have had many years to save a pittance like 800thb.

many of us have had business problems and marriage failures---not an excuse for lack of savings.....

G'day Murray,

I agree with some aspects of your post and not others, but there again that's the way things run on forums like this!

I totally agree that young people should be taught at school the benefits of investing and how compounding interest etc can work in one's favour over the long term, and of course how share markets work and so on, but they aren't unfortunately, and nor were we in our younger days (or at least I wasn't).

On the other hand, saving for a "decent retirement" can be very difficult for many everyday folk, because there just is not the surplus cash to be able to put to one side for this. A perfect example would be when I ran an investment seminar for the New Zealand Navy at Devonport and it was primarily aimed at those servicemen who would be leaving over the next six months or so and there were scores of them, as well as many others who wished to attend.

Cut a long story short I ended up sitting down with many of these guys and their families to try and plan some sort of financial future for them, but it was damn near impossible to save anything outside of the everyday expenses, and they weren't squandering anything, they were just scraping by, and I think that's the case with many average New Zealanders, and Brits by the sound of it (and some of those whom I know live here).

On top of that I helped launch the ASB Bank "Easyplan" retirement savings scheme and again, it became obvious that the average New Zealander found it very difficult to save much for their retirement, and that was reflected again when I ran the ASB Bank Investment Advisory service..........there just wasn't the amount of surplus cash/funds to invest that would make much of a difference, and even if some did start off early, at the age of retirement $50,000 or $60,000 was not going to be of great help over time.

On another point, like you, I don't think 800k is too much to put aside for most folk, but it is for others who are just on government pensions and who didn't really plan for this sort of thing, and I think that's the crux of the matter (which you refer to) for many folk here.

A little story for you: – I was born in England and my mother used to put aside some money in her Prudential savings account, ostensibly for her retirement, and she put away the grand sum of 3p per week! Anyway she did this for most of her life and when she wanted to cash this up at the age of about 65, she received the grand sum of £80.

The sad fact is that many people just cannot afford to put away enough (and this is the key, enough) to make much of a difference when they retire.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:24 AM, brokenbone said:

i think you made the right choice,

i wouldnt have come here if i had known the endless visa hassle, and my body is so broken i cant get out.

if i were you, i would only ever contemplate places with easy to get permanent residency, and preferably an option to join a subsidized national health care

I have the funds, I have the income, but being unable to enrol in a Thai language course in a regional area where I was, and the ridiculous requirements demanded to open a bank account, only had a six month lease on arrival.

But the big deal breaker was the astronomical cost of private health insurance at turning 70 years of age, even though I have no pre-existing illnesses

On 2/17/2019 at 9:26 AM, FritsSikkink said:

I can do this a lot shorter, I didn't research the medical cost, now I know I can't afford it, I have to go back.

I did the research or so I thought, but then turned the magical age of 70. Then it changed dramatically.

I also thought that a language school would be open where I was heading, but that closed, due to lack of interest I guess, Wanted to have actual Thai conversations and stimulating debates  

25 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I did the research or so I thought, but then turned the magical age of 70. Then it changed dramatically.

I also thought that a language school would be open where I was heading, but that closed, due to lack of interest I guess, Wanted to have actual Thai conversations and stimulating debates  

No good, language school taught central Thai, and the locals all speak Lao.

And after you learn Lao, 'how tasty was that bit of fish' is about as stimulating as they get.

23 hours ago, murraynz said:

Most men get their 40+ years savings taken from them in divorce, by a woman that never did a real days work in her life.

Better off spending all the money you earn on yourself, then living off the state in retirement.

It's what their (the governments) actions appear to want us (men) to do.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

totally agree that young people should be taught at school the benefits of investing and how compounding interest etc can work in one's favour over the long term, and of course how share markets work and so on, but they aren't unfortunately, and nor were we in our younger days (or at least I wasn't).

Most young people these days have trouble enough finding the money to house and feed themselves.

They won't be doing any saving for the future, you're living in the past.

The world has changed and you old dinosaurs need to realise that.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:38 PM, CaptainJack said:
On 2/16/2019 at 9:34 PM, madmen said:

You blew your cash in 9 months? you didn't say why your GF left but Im guessing back to you running out of cash.

I think 9 months could be a record for a failed attempt at trying to make it here.

I would suggest you dont leave the USA where you will be taken care of

Well, this is exactly what I expected.  A crude reply with assumptions that have no basis in my real experience.   Enjoy your life.  I'm going to have mine, do what is best for me and be happy I took the time to write something positive.  Bye bye.

Captain jack, hi you wrote a really positive post but there is always one idiot for whom it is impossible to see the reality in your words, usually they do not have two pennies to rub together and are living there own personal lie.

You were correct in kicking him over the touch line and sending him back to his world because you have inspired myself and I have no doubt many more not to make the mistake of retiring to LOS.

i have been coming there every two or three months from England for many years now and seen all the changes many of which are stupid and totally unfair given all the advantages that can be gained when Thais go to live in our countries, outright purchase of house and land and minimal intervention by immigration being just two.

I have met a wonderful Thai lady who only asks that I love her as she loves me and that I will come to live with her in Thailand, and whilst that WAS my intention, you have inspired me not to make that mistake and look for another more appreciative country for us both to live in.

So for me the decision is made, and to you I want to wish you well in your life and the decisions you make and to say a big thank you.

8 hours ago, Janner1 said:

Thais go to live in our countries, outright purchase of house and land

Let us keep a balance here, not too many Thai people carry the luxury of affording a 15 million baht home overseas, on the other hand Europeans can afford a couple of million baht.

I fully understand the protection of Thailand for Thai people, within reason, and for now I feel allowing purchase of a condo is fair enough.

Hi,

Just a quick check in and report.  Ok, I have survived bouts of depression, feelings of failure and loneliness,  but am finally at a place I can stop, take a pause and center myself.  I really did almost make a terrible mistake.   My plans to fly to Bogota and pursue a retirement visa in Columbia could have gone so wrong.  I am so thankful for the young Canadian gal I met in the hostel I met in Merida.  I can't believe that in all my research,  i never came across the organized crime robbing people at gunpoint for their cellphones.  She and three other travelers were all robbed,  once my the police. 

I made the decision to eat the airfare and instead fly to Mexico City,  where I will move into a furnished apartment in one of the nicest parts of MC. 

I have a six month tourist visa to sort out my future plans. 

Tonight I am dining at one of a thousand sidewalk cafes after a nice, cool weather walk in a lovely park.  And the traffic is not that bad compared to Bkk and the polution nothing compared to Bkk.

Now, I can finally relax and rest.  This has not been an easy process.  I have been winging it, only a few steps ahead of what felt like pending disaster.  I have said this before.  Don't do this unless you have a really good reason.   I did.

So, the people here are very nice.  I am met with much kindness and help. A man in my hostel today took time to show me around my area.  He explained in English the history,  where are good places to live and not so good. 

The police here are respectful and helpful.  

I will enroll in a Spanish language class soon. If living here, it really is necessary. 

I'll report back at some point,  but, I think I am over the hard part.  The future? I don't know right now.  See what happens over the coming months. 

Wishing all good health and fortune. 

CJ

PS. My rent, includes all utilities,  Internet and cable is 1200 us a month. I don't need a car here. That is not possible in the USA....

Cheers...

20190320_195938.jpg

20190321_173510.jpg

26 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

Hi,

Just a quick check in and report.  Ok, I have survived bouts of depression, feelings of failure and loneliness,  but am finally at a place I can stop, take a pause and center myself.  I really did almost make a terrible mistake.   My plans to fly to Bogota and pursue a retirement visa in Columbia could have gone so wrong.  I am so thankful for the young Canadian gal I met in the hostel I met in Merida.  I can't believe that in all my research,  i never came across the organized crime robbing people at gunpoint for their cellphones.  She and three other travelers were all robbed,  once my the police. 

I made the decision to eat the airfare and instead fly to Mexico City,  where I will move into a furnished apartment in one of the nicest parts of MC. 

I have a six month tourist visa to sort out my future plans. 

Tonight I am dining at one of a thousand sidewalk cafes after a nice, cool weather walk in a lovely park.  And the traffic is not that bad compared to Bkk and the polution nothing compared to Bkk.

Now, I can finally relax and rest.  This has not been an easy process.  I have been winging it, only a few steps ahead of what felt like pending disaster.  I have said this before.  Don't do this unless you have a really good reason.   I did.

So, the people here are very nice.  I am met with much kindness and help. A man in my hostel today took time to show me around my area.  He explained in English the history,  where are good places to live and not so good. 

The police here are respectful and helpful.  

I will enroll in a Spanish language class soon. If living here, it really is necessary. 

I'll report back at some point,  but, I think I am over the hard part.  The future? I don't know right now.  See what happens over the coming months. 

Wishing all good health and fortune. 

CJ

PS. My rent, includes all utilities,  Internet and cable is 1200 us a month. I don't need a car here. That is not possible in the USA....

Cheers...

20190320_195938.jpg

20190321_173510.jpg

I look forward to hearing more about how you are doing living in Mexico.  I think I would choose Guadalajara over Mexico City but will be interesting to see what you think.

Thai Immigration is continuing to force westerners to leave Thailand with their ridicules 90 day check in, TM forms, and now demanding you keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank rather than in western banks. ????

27 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I look forward to hearing more about how you are doing living in Mexico.  I think I would choose Guadalajara over Mexico City but will be interesting to see what you think.

Thai Immigration is continuing to force westerners to leave Thailand with their ridicules 90 day check in, TM forms, and now demanding you keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank rather than in western banks. ????

My grandparents came from Guadalajara.

I go there often, it's a beautiful city, nice climate, low crime by Mexican standards at least.

I stay with relatives usually, and gotta say the housing stock is generally pretty good.

In my mind there is no comparison to Mexico City, which is a cesspool in my opinion 

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

I go there often, it's a beautiful city, nice climate, low crime by Mexican standards at least.

I stay with relatives usually, and gotta say the housing stock is generally pretty good.

In my mind there is no comparison to Mexico City, which is a cesspool in my opinion 

That's what I thought.  The last time I was in Mexico was the early 70's.  I used to spend winters in San Blas, Nayarit.  I started going there in the late 60's when it was just a fishing village. 

It's really too bad Thai Immigration has developed an anti-western attitude.  I would prefer to stay here but not with this current immigration circus. ????

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Quick reply. Mexico City has changed a lot. The area I am living in, La Condesa is clean, Cosmopolitan and filled with very cool and hip locals and expatriates.   The have uber, a Metro and great streets that a wide and lined with beautiful trees.  

It is way better then Bangkok.  No constant smell of sewer, new high rise buildings going up and more. I like it here.

Everyone to their opinion. 

Take care.....

CJ

PS.  I took the time to post, and did not have to. Aready a negative comment.   I'll say goodbye once again.  No need to use my well earned good fortune on defending negative comments.   So, thanks to all that have shown me kindness.   If you have to leave Thailand, this is pretty nice.  It's a challenge to do, but for me, it was worth it.  Take csre.

15 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

$1200 in rent would wreck most economies for those who live in thailand

It sounds high to me too. But that's for furnished shorter term expat ready unit. If you're really moving there you would go more local and get an unfurnished unit. Also Mexico City is relatively expensive compared to most places in Mexico. I also like Guadalajara but have heard that another inland colonial city with great climate is even better and also safer -- Queretaro. 

As long as it works for you, my and everyone else opinion does not matter, and they do not care.  Glad you found Nirvana, redemptions, happiness, and or salvation on many levels or whatever you want to call it.  Bottom line, you evaluated, considered, and executed.  Good luck!!

1 minute ago, mike787 said:

As long as it works for you, my and everyone else opinion does not matter, and they do not care.  Glad you found Nirvana, redemptions, happiness, and or salvation on many levels or whatever you want to call it.  Bottom line, you evaluated, considered, and executed.  Good luck!!

Actually, I think he's still exploring and considering. But that's OK too. 

Archived