Why, after 9 months, Retired in Thailand, I left and am back in the USA?

CaptainJack

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I appreciate him taking the time to post positive and helpful experience.

Indeed. I had hoped he would go ahead to Colombia as my research indicates that Colombia offers an unusually beneficial and relatively easy retirement offer that leads to residence and even citizenship. Add to that their weak currency and even an offer of joining their decent enough nationalized health system and you might have big fun. I understand hearing scary stories and cancelling though. When I was down in San Jose, Costa Rica my guesthouse owner told me that some people were being drugged, robbed and stripped naked on the streets. I figured, probably wouldn't happen to me and I'll only carry out what I can afford to lose though the naked part wouldn't have been fun. As far as Colombia, there are no go areas, more hazardous areas, and areas that are probably safer than most U.S. cities (which isn't saying that much). It actually isn't news that Medellin specifically has experienced a recent uptick in crime. 

As far as U.S. State department travel alerts, both Mexico and Colombia are rated the same level, which is one step more unsafe than Thailand, Vietnam, even Cambodia. 

6 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Quick reply. Mexico City has changed a lot. The area I am living in, La Condesa is clean, Cosmopolitan and filled with very cool and hip locals and expatriates.   The have uber, a Metro and great streets that a wide and lined with beautiful trees.  

Greetings CaptainJack: I just toured the La Condesa neighborhood on Google maps. Looks like a very livable and walkable part of the city. Congratulations on finding it. Keep those reports coming. Cheers.

Information post.

I have found an immersion Spanish language class, four hours a day that looks good. Will cost about 130 usd a week.  No choice but to pay what it costs.  There is no lazing around with this program.   It is either learn to speak Spanish or go somewhere else. I will wait until the first Monday in April to learn my way around more.

Hasta luego!

20 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Quick reply. Mexico City has changed a lot. The area I am living in, La Condesa is clean, Cosmopolitan and filled with very cool and hip locals and expatriates.   The have uber, a Metro and great streets that a wide and lined with beautiful trees.  

It is way better then Bangkok.  No constant smell of sewer, new high rise buildings going up and more. I like it here.

Everyone to their opinion. 

Take care.....

CJ

Well I'm not going to contest the fact that Mexico City is better than Bangkok. 

I actually hate both cities, but Mexico City beats BKK by a country mile.

I'm just not a big city kinda guy. Can't stand the traffic, the congestion, the swarms of people

My reasons for leaving are the cost of health insurance.  I have it but it is very expensive at age 71 and expires at 80 if i live  that long.  And quality of medical treatment. My Thai wife and I have had numerous examples in various expensive private hospitals of substandard diagnosis and treatment.  It just ain't like back home.  And social isolation in the countryside after 5 years and no other Falangs anywhere near here.  The number of hoops to jump through don't just increase each year they change from year to year and different branches.  Wife wanted to leave and "go home" after only two years and she is Thai!!!!!!  That says something.  (Not sure what, though 555)

29 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

My reasons for leaving are the cost of health insurance.  I have it but it is very expensive at age 71 and expires at 80 if i live  that long.  And quality of medical treatment. My Thai wife and I have had numerous examples in various expensive private hospitals of substandard diagnosis and treatment.  It just ain't like back home.  And social isolation in the countryside after 5 years and no other Falangs anywhere near here.  The number of hoops to jump through don't just increase each year they change from year to year and different branches.  Wife wanted to leave and "go home" after only two years and she is Thai!!!!!!  That says something.  (Not sure what, though 555)

I have been thinking about doing the same. It depends what type of medical insurance becomes mandatory,  if that happens. Thank you for your post. Best wishes to you and your wife.

22 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Information post.

I have found an immersion Spanish language class, four hours a day that looks good. Will cost about 130 usd a week.  No choice but to pay what it costs.  There is no lazing around with this program.   It is either learn to speak Spanish or go somewhere else. I will wait until the first Monday in April to learn my way around more.

Hasta luego!

Now I'm hispanic, so bilingual all my life. But for most Americans it's an easy language to pick up with the right tuition.

Try not to think of your HS Spanish class, which are generally so laughable in the extreme

The fact that I could speak Spanish, when I was in HS, back in the dark ages, I had a hard time not to laugh it was so awful.

I saw kids graduate the class who could barely string a sentence together

130 a week for an immersion class doesn't sound too bad.

There is an online tutoring program that caught my attention. Pay a monthly fee for unlimited. The teachers are mostly Venezuelans.

https://baselang.com

It's a Medellin based company that also does in person courses there.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, joevanwyck said:

I have been thinking about doing the same. It depends what type of medical insurance becomes mandatory,  if that happens. Thank you for your post. Best wishes to you and your wife.

Thank you. I still have my house to go back to which is an important thing. What will happen if the Thai government requires everyone to have medical insurance and most of the over 60 or 65 cannot get medical insurance at all? Mass Exodus or mass deportation? I imagine under such circumstances your annual extension will be depended upon showing your insurance cover.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:34 PM, The Deerhunter said:

It just ain't like back home. 

That's the whole thread summed up in one phrase.

Of course it isn't but most of 69 million people cope with it.

14 hours ago, Traubert said:

That's the whole thread summed up in one phrase.

Of course it isn't but most of 69 million people cope with it.

Because they are lied to about how amazing everything is here.  Many Falangs believe it too. Note. My Thai wife wants it too but she already did 8 years there and nearly 40 here. She had two bad expensive surgeries that had to be repeated one year later over there and no problems since.  And bad diagnosis.  She also had a simple asthma attack diagnosed here as auto immune disease at an expensive private hospital here, fixed permanently 2 weeks later in my  country.  

Hi!

I'll post a single reply to the various questions.   First, some catch up.  Ok, MC is more expensive.   I have been dealing with my own emotions by giving myself for time to rest, slow down and calm.

I got freaked out a few days ago and thought about bailing.   Then, I met a very nice Mexico man, a Chemical Engineer who speaks English and in his free time he has become a new friend.  Omg! This has made all the difference in the world.

I was feeling really isolated.   Not so much now.  MC is just an amazing city.  We went downtown Saturday night. It's just not possible to describe.   Suffice it to say, we had a great time.

Ok, accommodations? The hostel I have been in is in La Condesa.   It is close to lots of very Western/Latin restaurants and coffee places.  The weather beautiful.   Only 24 degrees outside.  Sitting at an outdoor cafe.  

One of the things I freaked out about was that even in the short time I was gone from the USA,  because I had sold my car an possessions, repatriation has lots of issues.  Proof of residence just to get a car loan,  and passing a history check to rent an apartment! Good grief.

Anyway,  I'm way better today. I'm starting to understand MC better.  Why MC? It feels like home.  It's like being back in Austin on a cool spring day.   My body and mind feel good here.

Lodging? I move into an Airb&b Wednesday for a week.  I'll have my own place for 7 days.  Expensive,  but I can manage it short term.  I have found a local agency that has furnished apartments.   Now that I'm learning the Metro and Metrobus, I may pick a place further south to get my costs down.

On the Spanish language classes.  I'll probably enroll in one in a few a month.  For now, I can manage.   First priority? Get an apartment so I can settle my mind, body and spirit.  Oh! I can walk miles for exercise here with these cool temperatures.   I could not do that on Bkk.

I don't have a lot to share, other then slow down, breath and get one thing done at a time.  I'm not being rude, but i can't really take time to answer each individual question.  Sorry.

Bottom line? I feel better, healthier and safer here.  For me, as everyone knows, the threats presented by immigration in Thailand exceeded my limits.  I am here, a 6 month renewable tourist visa and have nobody making me jump through ever changing hoops.  I really cannot live my life like that.  The other issue was medical care.   I am 3 hours for the USA.  It would not be fun to have to go back and navigate the system for a medical emergency,  but I have that option. 

I'll report in on where in MC I rent an apartment and hold much in a few weeks 

I am now starting to manage my cash better.  I just decided to not worry about it for the first month.   I can only manage so much at one time.  

Wishing all well,

CJ

Hi,

Out for a walk. One thing I love about MC is even in rush hour, the side streets are calm, cool and tree lined.  I took a few photos from my walk and from the previous day.  I stopped for a small greek salad and glass of white wine.  The salad is beautiful with fresh greens and came with an enormous bread basket and many dipping sauces. It was 6 dollars us. This is my dinner.  The wine is Argentinean and is 4 dollars us. 

This is a really nice to be able to have such high quality food for what is very inexpensive compared to the USA. 

My new friend has to work,  so I dine alone, but the environment and food make up for it.  Plus, I'm sharing with you.  Better then Facebook.   There is wonderful jazz music playing in the background. 

It is these moments that help me stay upbeat.  It's not horribly expensive and is a great part of MC. I have a lot of logistics to work out over the next months,  but trying to enjoy being here and what all MC has to offer.

Back to my early dinner.

20190325_162856.jpg

20190325_160721.jpg

20190323_204732.jpg

20190323_190518.jpg

On 3/26/2019 at 1:51 AM, CaptainJack said:

Hi!

I'll post a single reply to the various questions.   First, some catch up.  Ok, MC is more expensive.   I have been dealing with my own emotions by giving myself for time to rest, slow down and calm.

I got freaked out a few days ago and thought about bailing.   Then, I met a very nice Mexico man, a Chemical Engineer who speaks English and in his free time he has become a new friend.  Omg! This has made all the difference in the world.

I was feeling really isolated.   Not so much now.  MC is just an amazing city.  We went downtown Saturday night. It's just not possible to describe.   Suffice it to say, we had a great time.

Ok, accommodations? The hostel I have been in is in La Condesa.   It is close to lots of very Western/Latin restaurants and coffee places.  The weather beautiful.   Only 24 degrees outside.  Sitting at an outdoor cafe.  

One of the things I freaked out about was that even in the short time I was gone from the USA,  because I had sold my car an possessions, repatriation has lots of issues.  Proof of residence just to get a car loan,  and passing a history check to rent an apartment! Good grief.

Anyway,  I'm way better today. I'm starting to understand MC better.  Why MC? It feels like home.  It's like being back in Austin on a cool spring day.   My body and mind feel good here.

Lodging? I move into an Airb&b Wednesday for a week.  I'll have my own place for 7 days.  Expensive,  but I can manage it short term.  I have found a local agency that has furnished apartments.   Now that I'm learning the Metro and Metrobus, I may pick a place further south to get my costs down.

On the Spanish language classes.  I'll probably enroll in one in a few a month.  For now, I can manage.   First priority? Get an apartment so I can settle my mind, body and spirit.  Oh! I can walk miles for exercise here with these cool temperatures.   I could not do that on Bkk.

I don't have a lot to share, other then slow down, breath and get one thing done at a time.  I'm not being rude, but i can't really take time to answer each individual question.  Sorry.

Bottom line? I feel better, healthier and safer here.  For me, as everyone knows, the threats presented by immigration in Thailand exceeded my limits.  I am here, a 6 month renewable tourist visa and have nobody making me jump through ever changing hoops.  I really cannot live my life like that.  The other issue was medical care.   I am 3 hours for the USA.  It would not be fun to have to go back and navigate the system for a medical emergency,  but I have that option. 

I'll report in on where in MC I rent an apartment and hold much in a few weeks 

I am now starting to manage my cash better.  I just decided to not worry about it for the first month.   I can only manage so much at one time.  

Wishing all well,

CJ

Thanks for the update CaptainJack.  I'm interested to see what the furnished apartments are like and the monthly prices.  You made a wise decision to pull out of Thailand.  Thai Immigration is continuing to make retiring for westerners a lot less attractive than when I first came here. ????

On 3/25/2019 at 4:53 PM, CaptainJack said:

Hi,

Out for a walk. One thing I love about MC is even in rush hour, the side streets are calm, cool and tree lined.  I took a few photos from my walk and from the previous day.  I stopped for a small greek salad and glass of white wine.  The salad is beautiful with fresh greens and came with an enormous bread basket and many dipping sauces. It was 6 dollars us. This is my dinner.  The wine is Argentinean and is 4 dollars us. 

This is a really nice to be able to have such high quality food for what is very inexpensive compared to the USA. 

My new friend has to work,  so I dine alone, but the environment and food make up for it.  Plus, I'm sharing with you.  Better then Facebook.   There is wonderful jazz music playing in the background. 

It is these moments that help me stay upbeat.  It's not horribly expensive and is a great part of MC. I have a lot of logistics to work out over the next months,  but trying to enjoy being here and what all MC has to offer.

Back to my early dinner.

20190325_162856.jpg

20190325_160721.jpg

20190323_204732.jpg

20190323_190518.jpg

As I've said before my family is from Guadalajara, so i go there fairly often

Been a while since I've been to MC, but it really looks a helluva lot better than what I remember

36 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

This is going off topic but why aren't more people considering Spain, Portugal or Italy? 

Actually, I am considering Portugal.  Portugal for Europeans should be a no brainer.  It has so many pluses, a fair amount of Americans are considering Portugal as a good retirement destination too.  A lot of westerners are leaving Thailand every month as their one year extensions come due but unlike CaptainJack, they are not sharing their experiences on Thai Visa.  ????

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

This is going off topic but why aren't more people considering Spain, Portugal or Italy? 

Yes all those would appeal to Europeans in particular.

After 10 years of living in Thailand with brief breaks back to UK/Italy  I have actually booked flights to Italy for a 5 month stay, May thru to October. Weather should be mostly OK, perhaps better than Thailand, not so much humidity.

Staying mostly in the northern Lakes area, near Switzerland.

Lovely views and cleaner air.

In the winter would be too cold for me so either Thailand for the winter months or elsewhere.

37 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

A lot of westerners are leaving Thailand every month as their one year extensions come due but unlike CaptainJack, they are not sharing their experiences on Thai Visa.  ????

I don't wish to quibble but (1) how do you know and (2) how many is "a lot"?

7 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I don't wish to quibble but (1) how do you know and (2) how many is "a lot"?

People move every year. Not unique to Thailand though. Saying a lot makes people feel more comfortable about their decision. Basic research would have told these people the country has a few downsides.

1 minute ago, JordanJones said:

People move every year. Not unique to Thailand though. Saying a lot makes people feel more comfortable about their decision. Basic research would have told these people the country has a few downsides.

The poster is asserting something as if he knows specifics, not drawing inferences from general behaviour, but as you say it's self-reinforcing if you can convince yourself that you're doing what "a lot" of people are doing

2 hours ago, seasia said:

Yes all those would appeal to Europeans in particular.

After 10 years of living in Thailand with brief breaks back to UK/Italy  I have actually booked flights to Italy for a 5 month stay, May thru to October. Weather should be mostly OK, perhaps better than Thailand, not so much humidity.

Staying mostly in the northern Lakes area, near Switzerland.

Lovely views and cleaner air.

In the winter would be too cold for me so either Thailand for the winter months or elsewhere.

I assume it is a lot more expensive than Thailand?

Hi,

Quick update.  A TV member suggested I not crosspost on the two topics I am involved in.  Makes sense.  I'll still update on the other tooic here.

Thanks for following me. This will be my last post on this topic 

CJ

On 3/27/2019 at 6:35 AM, JimmyJ said:

I assume it is a lot more expensive than Thailand?

Hi

Overall yes, depends on how you want to live.

Housing generally more expensive but still some reasonable deals.

e.g. 2 bedroom apartment for sale in Mendrisio north lakes town, separate kitchen, living room, large terrace, 180 degree view of Lake Como for sale at 70 K Euro, e.g. 2.5 million baht.

South of Italy can buy similar at 40 to 50 K Euro.

Bottled water is cheaper than Thailand, even though you can drink the water from the tap.

Fruit juice is about 1 Euro per litre, around 36 baht compared to 50 to 70 baht in Thailand.

Large ( 660 ml ) bottles of beer can be bought for 80 cents, about 29 baht, better than Thai beer at about half the price.

Wine is 1/5 th the price.

Plenty more examples of some things being lower priced.

However, public transport, including taxis way more expensive in Italy.

Cars are cheaper though.

Anything involving labour way higher in Italy,due of course to higher wages.

A " handyman" general jobs guy is going to be asking 100 Euro a day, 3600 baht.( North, less by a little in the south)

Way cheaper in Thailand.

Not surprisingly pasta ( shop bought ) is about half the price of Thailand but yep, rice is about double.

Swings and roundabouts.

Archived