Why, after 9 months, Retired in Thailand, I left and am back in the USA?

CaptainJack

1 hour ago, CaptainJack said:

Thanks for the reply.  Good luck with all the future changes and I wish you well. Happy for you.

I got a strange feeling when reading your initial post, that you are NOT at all looking for an solution, but merely get confirmation from others that YOU make the right choice in life.

For me this talk about blaming the immigration here and there and all the time, is not valid at all but just excuses.. The big thing I myself can relate to in your post is the healthcare-issue that most of us have i.e. with the coverage that is....

Good luck in life, choose the lady more carefully next time, so the contry not will suffer for your mistakes.

glegolo

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, ezzra said:

So if you knew what's the deal is retiring in Thailand, why did you still decided to move here fully knowing the requirements of retirement in this country?... 

These new requirements didn't exist three or four months ago. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You are fortunate in that you have a decent place to return to by all accounts. Where I grew up in the UK has descended to near ghetto status. I would need to research alternatives likely beyond my means.... but I see that same ogre on the horizon.

Sorry.  I have read  lot about the problems in the UK. I'm afraid my home country may be soon to follow.  Yes, research alternatives.  Good luck!

53 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Unfortunately you've presided over the most tumultuous shake up of retirement visas in the past two decades, so what you're seeing recently definitely hasn't been business as usual in the past. The system is likely to become clearer in the coming months, including for acceptable proofs of income (in which aspect you'd currently qualify, so the 800k route is unnecessary). 

Medical insurance is currently not a requirement - like you say if this changes many older people will be forced to leave.

Regarding police stopping you outside your apartment, this is likely just due to the locale. I've heard Thonglor area can be very bad for this kind of thing, but it doesn't really happen in other parts of Bangkok.

Smog also is way lower now than it was two weeks ago, so whilst it's a serious problem it's not usually up in the extreme levels for too long.

Police stop people in many countries in the world including make America great again.

4 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I got a strange feeling when reading your initial post, that you are NOT at all looking for an solution, but merely get confirmation from others that YOU make the right choice in life.

For me this talk about blaming the immigration here and there and all the time, is not valid at all but just excuses.. The big thing I myself can relate to in your post is the healthcare-issue that most of us have i.e. with the coverage that is....

Good luck in life, choose the lady more carefully next time, so the contry not will suffer for your mistakes.

glegolo

I will reply with only this.  The country benefited from the apartment I rented and the 20,000 USD I spent while living in Bangkok. I don't see Thailand suffered from my living there.  Anyway, your comment was not rude or aggressive, so I replied.  Best to you.

1 minute ago, steven2018 said:

Retiring or living in and out of Mexico for a U.S. citizen might be a better option for a retiree on Medicare -- a few hours flight back to the U.S. beats a 22-hour flight in time and cost.

Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica are on my list to research.  Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

I did not do the level of research I needed before taking the plunge.

If you'd retired here 9 weeks ago, this comment might be true. But no amount of research you could have done 9 months ago would have suggested the recent changes were on the cards. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Police stop people in many countries in the world including make America great again.

Indeed, and that experience has given me a whole new perspective on not being having the privilege of the protection of the law I have in the USA.  PS.  I did not vote for Trump.  I'll leave it at that.  Best to you.

3 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

If you'd retired here 9 weeks ago, this comment might be true. But no amount of research you could have done 9 months ago would have suggested the recent changes were on the cards. 

Yep, I know.  I give myself a break on that.  The medical and just my own tolerance for the process to live long term in Thailand, I own that.  Thanks....

1 hour ago, CaptainJack said:

Thanks for the reply.  Good luck with all the future changes and I wish you well. Happy for you.

I'm still in Virginia in the USA.  Wifey has been back in Thailand for about 2.5 years as the advanced party.  She's coming back for about 6 months for good pizza and steak and we'll see where that leads.  I still have a 90 year old Mother and a brother who need looking after here.  Contact me if you need to bellyache.  Misery loves company, as they say.

Just now, Damrongsak said:

I'm still in Virginia in the USA.  Wifey has been back in Thailand for about 2.5 years as the advanced party.  She's coming back for about 6 months for good pizza and steak and we'll see where that leads.  I still have a 90 year old Mother and a brother who need looking after here.  Contact me if you need to bellyache.  Misery loves company, as they say.

LOL.  You made me laugh.

14 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

I will reply with only this.  The country benefited from the apartment I rented and the 20,000 USD I spent while living in Bangkok. I don't see Thailand suffered from my living there.  Anyway, your comment was not rude or aggressive, so I replied.  Best to you.

I didn´t mean that Thailand suffered when living here, but my meaning was that Thailand misses out and suffer when a retiree leaves...

glegolo

You can go around and around on these threads.

My wife is Thai we met and for 12 years lived in Singapore. Wise women, told me I'd tire of the place within 10 years, got it wrong by 11 months

We moved back to the US, nearly 2 years ago now, but we still do the snowbird thing to our house in Khon Kaen.

That dual location thing seems to be an increasing option for many retirees. 

I've said this before in many threads, but over the past 10 years the cost advantage of being in Thailand pretty much evaporated for me at least.

Now we have a holiday home which is perfect

37 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

Hi ezzra,

Well your comment deserves an answer.  I was stupid, because I did not do the level of research I needed before taking the plunge. Duh! As I mentioned in a previous reply, in my military past, I was also a Safety and Risk Management Officer.  I really have kicked myself in the rear over this lack of planning and research.  Well, lessons learned.  While there are always new mistakes to be made, my plan is not to repeat these mistakes.  Thanks for the comment.  I think it was useful.  Best to you.

I have a background in risk management as well and before moving here I researched Thailand for close to a decade. Strong points: language study, estimating cost of living, trying to understand the culture. Weak points: reading Thai behavior, detecting the difference between a diamond and cubic zirconia gleam in a girl's eye, and understanding the socio-economic composition of the expat community.  I'm just saying, no amount of preparation will prepare you 100% for taking the plunge and I wouldn't beat myself up too much in the 'what-I-know-now-but-didn't-know-then' department.

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

You can go around and around on these threads.

My wife is Thai we met and for 12 years lived in Singapore. Wise women, told me I'd tire of the place within 10 years, got it wrong by 11 months

We moved back to the US, nearly 2 years ago now, but we still do the snowbird thing to our house in Khon Kaen.

That dual location thing seems to be an increasing option for many retirees. 

I've said this before in many threads, but over the past 10 years the cost advantage of being in Thailand pretty much evaporated for me at least.

Now we have a holiday home which is perfect

Sounds like you got a good plan.  Good job!

Just now, Gecko123 said:

I have a background in risk management as well and before moving here I researched Thailand for close to a decade. Strong points: language study, estimating cost of living, trying to understand the culture were strong points. Weak points: reading Thai behavior, detecting the difference between a diamond and cubic zirconia gleam in a girl's eye, and understanding the socio-economic composition of the expat community.  I'm just saying, no amount of preparation will prepare you 100% for taking the plunge and I wouldn't beat myself up too much in the 'what-I-know-now-but-didn't-know-then' department.

Thanks.  It really was a surprise to me at how much I did not understand about the culture.  Just one thing I'll mention.  I am a Buddhist.  Made the jump 15 years ago.  Oh boy! I am Zen (Mahayana), not Theravada.  Wow, I've been either visiting or doing volunteer work for years, and I missed just how different that one thing is.    And I'll take your advise 'what-I-know-now-but-didn't-know-then' department and not beating myself up[ to bad.  It has, been quite the learning experience.  Cheers....

Captain Jack.

In many ways you encountered "the perfect storm" !

The wrong female

Finance depletion

Wrong location

Health concerns

Immigration issues.

Everyones situation is different as is their attitude toward problems and how they choose to overcome. No one can predict the future, or know how their health will be in 10 years. Some people live in a "what if" and think too far ahead, others find a balance n what they have now and whats down the road in a shorter term.

Ultimately you have to do whats right for you, we all, can only do what we feel is right at the time.

I dont agree with alot of what you have said  but we are different people with different attitudes and responses and you have to do what you feel is right.

I hope you find happiness and comfort in your next chapter.

Ps. Thanks for sharing your honest situation/story.

<1. I do not want to spend the rest of my life jumping through endless hoops to be able to live in Thailand.  Too much stress.>

Spot on - especially when trying to do things legally. For four years... my attempts terminated three years ago. Cheers

2 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Well, this is exactly what I expected.  A crude reply with assumptions that have no basis in my real experience.   Enjoy your life.  I'm going to have mine, do what is best for me and be happy I took the time to write something positive.  Bye bye.

Don't let this guy ruin your day. He is well known on here for 'talking for talking' even though he has no idea what he is talking about (assumptions).

Hope you sort it all out and move on. Be optimistic !

Interesting thread. I don't think I can live long term in the Thailand for the reasons that have been mentioned, mainly the cost of health insurance and hassles with immigration. Plus licence checks in Chiang Mai have become a much more frequent part of life than was the case 10 years ago, as has the necessity to fill out a TM30 each time I arrive here -- these are minor irritants, but they can add up.  

Apart from that, I normally stay in Chiang Mai and hot season there is something I want to avoid, so I really don't want to be resident all year. For me the easiest, least hassle solution (so far) is to come in on the visa waiver program, and leave the country after 30 days for a week or so in Japan and then come back. So far, that's worked -- last year I stayed in Thailand for a total of four months. If I do get push back from Immigration about the visa waiver entries, I'll settle for some other kind of visa.

Travel insurance covers me for accidents/emergencies while I'm in Thailand, and if I need treatment for chronic illnesses, that's easy enough to get back home -- it's only a non-stop eight or nine hour plane ride from Bangkok.

Thanks to the original poster for being so civil in dealing with the replies. Keeping any craziness and rudeness out of threads of this kind makes them a better resource for everyone. 

"Risk management strategy" says it all.

At the end of the day the medical risk became too great and I went home-tho' I have visited once as a tourist since.

As I like my home country I had few difficulties settling back in.As I also like Thailand I will continue to visit (health permitting) on an irregular basis but will not make any further commitment to the country.

Best of luck Captain Jack and all the best to you.

what good does having 'empathy' with those who cannot afford to stay here do for anyone? Sounds like another one who did not know what he was letting himself in for, Thailand was never 'paradise' and when the rose tinted glasses fall off and the financial necessities become apparent it can be better back home.

Archived