Why, after 9 months, Retired in Thailand, I left and am back in the USA?

CaptainJack

IMHO the OP moved to the wrong part of Thailand. I wouldn't live in Bangkok - ever.

I have never been stopped in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai by police demanding my passport, in ten years here.

Different circumstances, I suppose. My private health cover in Australia means I get on a plane ( if I can ) and get treated there.

There are avoidance strategies. I have an air purifier in my apartment to deliver filtered air during the smoke season. I employ an agent to jump through the Immigration hoops for me.

Thailand doesn't suit everyone. It sounds to me like the OP is worrying about events that may never happen. Others deal with each new problem as it arises. There are always options.

Best of luck to the OP. Possibly the Philippines could be a better fit for him personally.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope everything works out for you. Where did you reside when you lived in Thailand? The reason I ask is that where I live the chance of an immigration office or any other kind of Thai government official coming around is close to zero (and hasn't happened in the two years I have been here).

Thailand is not for everyone, good luck in Austin.

If the OP was in risk management, I would assume that the fact he couldn’t take care of the 800k in the bank would trigger an alarm...
His first visit to a hospital would have bankrupted him.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

IMHO the OP moved to the wrong part of Thailand. I wouldn't live in Bangkok - ever.

I have never been stopped in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai by police demanding my passport, in ten years here.

Different circumstances, I suppose. My private health cover in Australia means I get on a plane ( if I can ) and get treated there.

There are avoidance strategies. I have an air purifier in my apartment to deliver filtered air during the smoke season. I employ an agent to jump through the Immigration hoops for me.

Thailand doesn't suit everyone. It sounds to me like the OP is worrying about events that may never happen. Others deal with each new problem as it arises. There are always options.

Best of luck to the OP. Possibly the Philippines could be a better fit for him personally.

And the reality is that new regulations etc., changes in cost of living and lots more will happen in every countries, that's a given. 

Sorry OP but you got the wrong gal. Got fleeced and then sort any excuse to jump ship and justify it.

If it helps you sleep better so be it.

For me, you gave in far too easily and made no attempt to make it work. If you want something you find a way, deal with it, not runaway back "home".

Thailand and its minor challenges is not the place for you, thats clear.

(IMHO)

My thoughts.

Firstly, it's a bit disingenuous to post like this on an opinion forum and expect only positive replies.

Moving your life to another country, particularly one with a vastly different culture to yours, is one of the biggest decisions anyone can make in life. No matter how many visits are made beforehand, it can never completely prepare a person for the reality of permanently emigrating from their own culture. While some people can fly by the seat of their pants and adapt to anything, most need to do the research so they don't find themselves flailing. Not everyone is suited and many return home.

Reading your reasons to go after a relatively short time here suggests to me you were always unprepared and unsuited.

1. You blame the changes to the financial rules, yet they don't seem to effect you. You state you meet the pension provisions. You don't need the 800k, what's the problem there?

2. You don't like jumping through hoops. Who does, but in reality it's just an annoyance not a game changer. 

3. Cant live with rule changes.  Same as 2.

4. Health Insurance. The biggy, and a concern for virtually all us old farts. Something you should have considered, and planned for, before hand. Did you come to Thailand expecting health care was free? (I self-insure)

5. Being stopped by police. Another annoyance and, as pointed out by another poster, possibly related to your choice of abode. I have never been stopped by police in my time here. The only ones I've ever talked to have been IOs at their office when I go there to jump through the hoops. 

6. Smog.  Personally, I can't understand why anyone would want to retire to a foreign (Asian) city with 6 or 7 million residents, and, it would seem to be a good reason to head for the country or a beachside location, rather than flee back home. 

As stated not everyone finds expat life easy, and most do the research before hand. I joined TVF 5 years before making the move.

I note you felt the need to advertise your former employment in airborne forces. There are many, many, veterans of all types living here, but this is not a "Thankyou for your Service" country. Perhaps you are just more suited to living in Texas. Maybe you should be more honest with yourself rather than blaming the country for your failure to adapt.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

he is a veteran and the army has a big hospital in ph,

but other than that i think central america has way better

options with permanent residency, and much closer to home,

he probably speak some spanish already

21 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

My thoughts.

Firstly, it's a bit disingenuous to post like this on an opinion forum and expect only positive replies.

Moving your life to another country, particularly one with a vastly different culture to yours, is one of the biggest decisions anyone can make in life. No matter how many visits are made beforehand, it can never completely prepare a person for the reality of permanently emigrating from their own culture. While some people can fly by the seat of their pants and adapt to anything, most need to do the research so they don't find themselves flailing. Not everyone is suited and many return home.

Reading your reasons to go after a relatively short time here suggests to me you were always unprepared and unsuited.

1. You blame the changes to the financial rules, yet they don't seem to effect you. You state you meet the pension provisions. You don't need the 800k, what's the problem there?

2. You don't like jumping through hoops. Who does, but in reality it's just an annoyance not a game changer. 

3. Cant live with rule changes.  Same as 2.

4. Health Insurance. The biggy, and a concern for virtually all us old farts. Something you should have considered, and planned for, before hand. Did you come to Thailand expecting health care was free? (I self-insure)

5. Being stopped by police. Another annoyance and, as pointed out by another poster, possibly related to your choice of abode. I have never been stopped by police in my time here. The only ones I've ever talked to have been IOs at their office when I go there to jump through the hoops. 

6. Smog.  Personally, I can't understand why anyone would want to retire to a foreign (Asian) city with 6 or 7 million residents, and, it would seem to be a good reason to head for the country or a beachside location, rather than flee back home. 

As stated not everyone finds expat life easy, and most do the research before hand. I joined TVF 5 years before making the move.

I note you felt the need to advertise your former employment in airborne forces. There are many, many, veterans of all types living here, but this is not a "Thankyou for your Service" country. Perhaps you are just more suited to living in Texas. Maybe you should be more honest with yourself rather than blaming the country for your failure to adapt.

Great post I agree 100%!

Captain Jack, sir, one of the best posts I’ve read on TV with much good council. Given your emotional strings being pulled, my heart goes out to you. (I must say certain of the ignorant negative responding posts are somewhat uncalled for and certainly UNHELPFUL.  If one has nothing good to say, perhaps silence is the better option).

It’s maybe not practical for you or many others but I’ve adopted the flyin-flyout principle, thereby guaranteeing the bypassing of draconian “beaurocrazy” which Thailand has mastered as an artform. I run between Australia and Thailand and have the odd side trip to neighbouring countries. As a tourist the treatment is a lot better and I use a great  travel insurance deal that I get for just A$350/year and it’s good for trips up to 3months long. I rent a room in Bangkok which costs me peanuts and regularly go around the countryside too. Sure it’s not even close to permanent residence but that’s what I decided works best for me. When I get wound up or sick of some BS going on there, I just get the hell out. It’s cathartic sitting on the runway knowing I have the best of both worlds. Keep us posted on the rest of your story and a comparison reflection with Panama would be interesting I’m sure for many of us here on TV. 

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

Hope everything works out for you. Where did you reside when you lived in Thailand? The reason I ask is that where I live the chance of an immigration office or any other kind of Thai government official coming around is close to zero (and hasn't happened in the two years I have been here).

Thailand is not for everyone, good luck in Austin.

At the Lighthouse. 

Thanks for your comment. 

The Light House
8 299 - 300 Charoen Nakhon Rd, Khwaeng Khlong Ton Sai, Khet Khlong San, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10600, Thailand
+66 83 002 5434
https://maps.app.goo.gl/a3iHe

5 hours ago, madmen said:

You blew your cash in 9 months? you didn't say why your GF left but Im guessing back to you running out of cash.

I think 9 months could be a record for a failed attempt at trying to make it here.

I would suggest you dont leave the USA where you will be taken care of

Those reasons the OP gave for quitting in record time are pathetic in the extreme.

Immigration waiting outside your door ready to deport you? 

Give us a break.. 

Sorry to hear things did not work out for you. Several things you list can become issues for retirees here. As for me, 7 1/2 years retired here and still quite happy with my decision. I deal with problems when and if they present themselves and while reading about speculations of what might develop to be aware ... well, I prefer to spend my time worrying about more mundane matters, like what to eat.

I came on a plan where I would take my US Social Security as 1/2 my retirement income and match it with my own invested funds. I continue to do this with automated monthly transfers and this continues to match Thai Immigration income requirements of 65K baht. Medical insurance certainly is a concern and I get questions at the CM Expat breakfasts from newcomers twice a month. I had a heart attack here in 2015 (one thing we do not have to worry about is receiving world-class medical care). The bill came to $11,000.00 with the stent, additional angioplasties, oh ... and a minor stroke at the end of the week hospital stay. Found that my Medicare Advantage policy would pay up to $5K per year outside the US. So, I ended up eating $6,000 in medical costs. As you are aware routine medical care here is quite reasonable so, that fact, being age 72 and having pre-existing conditions means I am priced out of the market for insurance. Here too, I reflect that I am maintaining paying over $100.00 per month on my Medicare but with rising Medicare deductibles and co-pays I am wondering if it is worth the $1200+ a year in premiums. I confess to using an agency to handle the immigration paperwork. It seems to me that it is in their interest to keep up to date on any subtle changes in requirements a do a better job of pushing back on any requirement interpretations which would lose them business. well, enough but for me? I remain under the current circumstances (including a Thai girl and her Daughter).

5 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Well, this is exactly what I expected.  A crude reply with assumptions that have no basis in my real experience.   Enjoy your life.  I'm going to have mine, do what is best for me and be happy I took the time to write something positive.  Bye bye.

oh please were you expecting a cuddle? Your a drama queen  

"5. I do not like being stopped by immigration police outside my apartment and demanding my passport and documents and fearing arrest and possible deportation. "

nonsense!!!

You dont like smog and cant afford medical insurance ? did you not even spend 5 minutes on due diligence ??

Many of us face challenges that we overcame to remain here , your choice was to do a runner because you did no research BEFORE you made a major life change

Stay where you are now , its the best for you

Think some are been to hard on the Captain, i was once seduced  by Thailand the women and the easier life, i never got to move there full time though i lived there a year while taking a break from life.

As time passed with each visit the reality slowly crept in and that is for me living there full time wasn't on, i get bored here but in reality i dont do much when im there and i normally go for 2 or 3 months at a time.

I think it comes down to the space your head is in at the time, seems like a good idea, most people are for ever changing, then theres the realisation at least for me that the concept of love from a woman is different there to here, the longer you date the more of an issue it has become for me, now i just prefer to vist from time to time if i should find a reason to spend more time there id still return to AU a few times a year keep my medicare and residency status and use travel insurance while away.

I have lived in Thonglor in BKK for 12 years. I have never been stopped by police or any authority. (outside driving stops). I have a group of friends outside work who all live around Sukhmuvit for 5-20 years, non of them have ever mentioned being stopped or questioned by any authority. In the company i work there are 10 or so expats out of 1,200 staff, none of them have ever been stopped or questioned by authority. In summary i have never met anyone in work, personal life in 12 years who has been stopped by immigration, asked for their passport outside of situations you would expect.

I am not sure how you dress, where you hang out or what you do, but surely that immigration thing is not real?

I have seen a lot of people come and go over the years.  Personally I think most of the people who are leaving these days probably shouldn’t have come here in the first place and were never well suited for life in a foreign country.  The type of people who stay home and the type who adjust easily to life elsewhere are often very different.  There is no right or wrong, you just have to know yourself and what your strengths and weaknesses are.  I have always found Thailand easy and it has provided a more interesting life than if I had stayed home, in my opinion.

At this point in time I am taking a wait and see approach as my Retirement Visa is up in late August. I am activity looking though at other places to move to should Biggest Joke and his minions still insist on keeping money tied up in a Thai Bank. I have looked at places in Phnom Penh, Nha Trang, Hoi An and Vung Tau. All have their appeal and both countries have a much better welcome in store for ExPats wishing to retire. As much as I like Chiang Mai I am not going to play B.S. games with Thai Immigration on a regular basis, either they come up with a reasonable set of criteria for proof of income that does not involve putting your money into a Thai bank and keeping it there or I am out of this country. I don't think I am the only one with similar thoughts.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just want to say thanks for those that took the time to write some supportive comments.   For those that felt the need and the satisfaction in kicking and criticizing me, I hope your life goes well, you are happy and your days are filled with joy.

I'll say bye, bye now.

Namaste....

Having experienced both the cost of healthcare in Thailand, and, the cost of healthcare in USA. I can say this, I'll take thailand anyday. Of course I have no socialized "free healthcare" to fall back on, unlike most of the retired westerners who complain about Thai medical costs. 

The other points, probaby can understand. But you can live with them. 

6 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

Just want to say thanks for those that took the time to write some supportive comments.   For those that felt the need and the satisfaction in kicking and criticizing me, I hope your life goes well, you are happy and your days are filled with joy.

I'll say bye, bye now.

Namaste....

How do you afford Austin then?

Did you own a property you returned to?

It is by far not a cheap area to live in any longer.

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

what good does having 'empathy' with those who cannot afford to stay here do for anyone? Sounds like another one who did not know what he was letting himself in for, Thailand was never 'paradise' and when the rose tinted glasses fall off and the financial necessities become apparent it can be better back home.

Empathy is a quality that the world is seriously lacking these days.

I am so glad I read this lenghtly OP...but not for the reasons one might think.

It has brought home to me how much I owe to the fellowship that I have been a member of for the past 47 yrs (at times I take it for granted).

One of the most beneficial principles I learned was how to live my life "one day at a time"...(in the present moment). I try to never forget that every new day is the beginning of a new life for me..to be loved, enjoyed and cherished...every day above ground is a gift (for me)...I try not to keep one eye in the past and the other in the future...leaving me "crosseyed" today.

The 2 nd. most valuable lesson I learned was "not to take myself too seriously". ...As the man said about life..."Don't bother taking off your coat...we're only here for a short time".

What I'm saying is...of course I wonder if I will be affected by whatever comes down the line...but  situations are not the problem ...it is my attitude towards them that can be the problem. I can make them as big as I want or as small as I want ...depending on my attitude towards them.

Either way ..I do not worry about controlling situations I have no control over...I "adapt" to them ...and let the "law of the Universe" guide my way (some people may call that God).... Just like the birds know when to migrate and the leaves know when to fall from the trees...in the same way I am confident that all will be ok.

PS...I also am aware that for me, Immigration concerns are "luxury problems" when one considers the plight of the hungry, sick and impoverished that try their best to exist from day to day in this world of ours.

PPS ..Appologies for my own not too short post...a wave of "gratitude" came over me for all those people I owe so much to. 

Captain Jack,

I totally understand what you are saying.  I've been living in Thailand for nearly 10 years and now I'm fed up with all the hoops too.  I'm just waiting for my Thai wife's green card approval and then we are moving back the the good old USA.  I'm fortunate to have three pensions thus a very good income and will have no problem living in the USA.  I really feel empathy for many of my compatriots who are not as well off and are more or less stuck here.   

Good luck on your future moves.

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

he is a veteran and the army has a big hospital in ph,

but other than that i think central america has way better

options with permanent residency, and much closer to home,

he probably speak some spanish already

I don't think there is any more than 1 small clinic in PH for VA care. 

Archived