Why, after 9 months, Retired in Thailand, I left and am back in the USA?

CaptainJack

6 hours ago, madmen said:

You blew your cash in 9 months? you didn't say why your GF left but Im guessing back to you running out of cash.

I think 9 months could be a record for a failed attempt at trying to make it here.

I would suggest you dont leave the USA where you will be taken care of

Admit it. You didn't even read the OP. You glanced at the title and rushed down to make an idiotically snarky comment. Karma is real, just remember that.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't reiterate this enough.

So many seem to think, believe, that they are immigrants.

Generally when you take your wife to home country, they are immigrants with the same rights and privileges as any other citizen.

Good God my wife is now only 12 months away from being able to become a US citizen, without jumping through flaming hoops.

That is so far from the reality for foreigners in Thailand

I enjoy still being a tourist in Thailand, but that's what 99% of all farangs in the Kingdom are. Long term tourists maybe, but nothing more. 

Very very few ever become immigrants

30 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Philippines and Vietnam looking like good alternatives for retirees.

The endless tweaking of rules here and variation between office and officers just shows what a sh**show

it all is.

How many times have I heard guys extolling the virtues of moving to those two places. And then silence. As for managing the tweaking of the rules, I bet all the retired accountants and lawyers here are just pigs in clover.

7 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Well, this is exactly what I expected.  A crude reply with assumptions that have no basis in my real experience.   Enjoy your life.  I'm going to have mine, do what is best for me and be happy I took the time to write something positive.  Bye bye.

Unless I have read your post incorrectly, you didn't actually say anything about your GF, except referring to emotions. You also didn't say if she will be accompanying you back to the US. The post loosely implies that you are no longer together, so are you just breaking up and you go? What about her? You said you were happy. did that change?

7 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Retires in Thailand do not know their future...immigration and healthcare prospects could get better once the visa monetary requirements start filling Thai government coffers.  Uncertainty is the monster lurking in the background.

I have to say this and don't get me wrong I am NOT taking a swing at you or anyone else out there who feels this way.

How about we ALL just focus on LIVING what we came here for, uncertainty, come on, what certainty do we have about anything, LIFE, our marriage to our tiruks, life is about living, not looking for the negatives that will affect the way we live, e.g. I have no certainty here in Thailand, I have a marriage extension, have enough money to live here till I am 101, does that give me certainty about anything....NO !

The government can tell me to fark off tomorrow, my wife can leave me tomorrow, I could sick and die tomorrow, so just get out and about and live the precious moments that tick away, negativity will only play with your mind, turn the negative thoughts into positive ones, e.g. I have my extension, I have the money to continue to get an extension, I am enjoying myself here as was the plan.

Now if you cannot think positive over negative or don't have enough money for your extension, then maybe it's time to go back, how that is going to pan out is another matter, we all make our beds, and we have to lay in them, suffice to say if you didn't plan it and thought you could live here on the pension alone, well enough said.

Last but not least, not you personally, please don't say how Thai government government don't care about us, why should they, who are we to them, just guests in "their" country, or "immigrants" for another word, maybe you should ask "immigrants" back in your country how they feel about the way the government doesn't care about them, perhaps governments around the world should roll out the red carpet and provide us with tea and biscuits when we visit immigration for our 90 parole reporting as I call it, I choose to make a day of it, immigration office 5 minutes, lunch at the shopping centre, enjoy the eye candy, short trip to the cattle station to buy some meat, and then home, easy done, once every 90 days. 

First, want to say a great post.

I think we all have our reasons for staying or leaving. When I came here I didn't think I'd ever leave, still not sure leaving will be permanent. Now, more than nine years later, I had already decided to, probably, leave and that was before the U.S. embassy discontinued the income affidavit - the changes due to that just sort of cemented it. I love this country, I love it's people (not just in BKK, but also up in CM and down South). I fell in love with Thailand the first time I was here, and on the balcony where I was staying on the river heard the adhan while gazing over across a Buddhist temple, something just said this is the most wonderful place on earth.

I don't mind the smog and never been stopped by police at all, but I live in a Thai neighborhood and never had a desire to live in the areas that draw a lot of foreigners. That said, other issues were drawing me home. Most of my family passed away in the years I've been here, my father passed away a year after I came here and was buried within the time frame it takes to even get back there. I also have a son back home as well and want to be closer to him as well.

I had already decided to go home for a few reasons. One was because I'll be turning 65 and while in good health will lose my current insurance, which is through my retirement plan and has excellent coverage abroad. I went back and last month signed up for Medicare B and my retirement's health insurance for those of us on Medicare. It too will cover me abroad, but much more limited (no limit on emergency care but one on routine care) and it requires me to reside in the states as a condition, so I've officially changed my residence back to the U.S. already and just back here to take care of things (mainly giving my possessions away, but also saying goodbye to friends).  I have a house there, a dog, and family, things I don't have here. They also have to take me, which is  a step above the uncertainty here. Also, back home state law requires state-supported universities, colleges, and vocational schools to waive tuition and fees at age 65 (I'd rather not turn 65, but if I have to...). Another reason is that I want to spend several months over the next year or so traveling in Europe, especially in Ireland.

These changes just sealed things. If they would accept my official documents from back home I might have yet changed my mind. However, in addition to all the uncertainties about transferring money here and it showing up here as an international transfer. I love my bank back home, it's locally owned and I get hugs whenever I'm back there or leaving to return here, and for me a few trips to the ATM work fine. But not with the end of the income affidavit. Also I help out back home with the bills and property taxes and insurance. Not something I have to do, but something I choose to do, and something I just won't stop - and importing the 65,000 each month wouldn't let me do that.

I may return one day, or I may opt for Indonesia (due to it's permanent residency option) or the Philippines, where I have in-laws and can enter with my spouse for a year at a time as balikbayan. Or Central/South America. However, I think I'll just stick to lengthy (and short) trips to various places around the world, unless Ireland ever becomes an option. If I do come back it would probably only be if my spouse and son joined me.

I wish you well Captain Jack. Thanks for a thoughtful post, and ignore the naysayers. I think a lot of us are making this same choice for a whole lot of disparate reasons. Life is too short to live it with all the uncertainties.

Good luck to you, I think you made the right decision. I always thought I’d retire here, after coming here every winter nearly for 30+ years. But Thailand has changed, and the people too. The once beautiful beaches and country side is fast slipping away. The pollution is only going to get worse, and the food is becoming more and more unhealthy daily. Those are my reasons. One more, the ever depreciation of the euro is making Thailand much more expensive to live. I find that a bit much for the lack of quality concerning infrastructure , building quality , ( I think my newish rented condo will fall down bit by bit in the next 5 years) and hospitals that do not, in my opinion, hit the mark for the price they cost. Also,  cherry on the cake,  is the very complicated visa process. 

33 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

How many times have I heard guys extolling the virtues of moving to those two places. And then silence. As for managing the tweaking of the rules, I bet all the retired accountants and lawyers here are just pigs in clover.

Silence is golden ? Usually the loudest voices are complaining on forums !...and TV visa sub-forum is the loudest of all.

I've lived in both a short time, and they do have minuses to Thailand but other pluses as well IMO.

It's just down to whether it fits in for that person...my money would be on Vietnam as parts of PI

are like Brazilian shanty towns, also junk food places having shotgun security guards outside its a bit OTT....crazy typhoons in PI and lower grade medical care there.

Vietnam annoyances are petty haggling and begging/hawkers. Costs of living closer to Thailand 20 years ago in smaller cities and long-stay visa logistics are a breeze....for now anyway.

1 minute ago, freedomnow said:

Silence is golden ? Usually the loudest voices are complaining on forums !...and TV visa sub-forum is the loudest of all.

I've lived in both a short time, and they do have minuses to Thailand but other pluses as well IMO.

It's just down to whether it fits in for that person...my money would be on Vietnam as parts of PI

are like Brazilian shanty towns, also junk food places having shotgun security guards outside its a bit OTT....crazy typhoons in PI and lower grade medical care there.

Vietnam annoyances are petty haggling and begging/hawkers. Costs of living closer to Thailand 20 years ago in smaller cities and long-stay visa logistics are a breeze....for now anyway.

Costs 20 years ago and Medical care like Thailand 50 years ago. 

Great topic and in my instance i will be grazing my old cash cow back UK quite soon .... tired of living in between goal posts of cash demands.and wall to wall heat in which you cant do bugger all but remain indoors, looking forwards to brisk walks and cleaner air fish N chips with a good old slap N tickle buxom wench OHHH YESSSS !!

1 hour ago, JimmyTheMook said:

How do you afford Austin then?

Did you own a property you returned to?

It is by far not a cheap area to live in any longer.

Hi,

I'm not living in Austin.   I'm staying with my best friend,  my only family I have until I decide my next step.  Austin is way to expensive for me.  Good question.   I've got some ideas. We will be talking about them over the next week or two.  Right now? Just trying to settle and center and make better decisions.   Thanks for your comment. 

11 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

Great topic and in my instance i will be grazing my old cash cow back UK quite soon .... tired of living in between goal posts of cash demands.and wall to wall heat in which you cant do bugger all but remain indoors, looking forwards to brisk walks and cleaner air fish N chips with a good old slap N tickle buxom wench OHHH YESSSS !!

An' the blasted English drizzle wakes the fever in my bones;
Tho' I walks with fifty 'ousemaids outer Chelsea to the Strand,
An' they talks a lot o' lovin', but wot do they understand?
Beefy face an' grubby 'and -
Law! wot do they understand?
I've a neater, sweeter maiden in a cleaner, greener land!

40 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Unless I have read your post incorrectly, you didn't actually say anything about your GF, except referring to emotions. You also didn't say if she will be accompanying you back to the US. The post loosely implies that you are no longer together, so are you just breaking up and you go? What about her? You said you were happy. did that change?

I looked at what seemed realistic for her and me at this point.  She is 43  a college graduate and still struggles.   I know I don't have the resources to care for both of us back in the USA,  even if I could get her a Visa. I made the decisions I needed to make for me.  I've given her as much money as I can afford, furnished an affordable apartment for her and we chat daily. The reasons we originally got together did not matter.  Bottom line  we were introduced on a double date by a friend of mine and fell for each other.

I'll try to help her because I care about her.  And I don't care what anyone thinks about Thai women and that think I'm stupid.   I trust her and believe her.  I have decided to leave. I'll do what I can for her from afar.  

PS.

I don't care for the way Thai or any women are treated and objectified.  I made a point to treat her with love and respect.   There is no, "just find another girlfriend " for me.  I was not even looking when we met.

I hope that answers your question. 

Take care....

Captian best of luck to you, I have been here 8 years and coming and going since 1998 no plans to move this is home now. Yes there are issues as with any country or place we live. The immigration fiasco is one and I say fiasco because the way the expat community has responded to it. For me nothing has changed I always showed income now instead of living from a ATM machine I need to monthly send the money to my Thai Bank account, thanks Big Joke no more trips to the Consulate for a letter that cost me 50 dollars.

The way each of use looks at life is different, I just do not worry about those things that I cannot control. I knew years ago I would have to abide by the immigration rules and accepted that fact. 

Again good luck to you on your new life back in the states, come back for a visit

49 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Costs 20 years ago and Medical care like Thailand 50 years ago. 

In both countries ?

Dug this up on Vietnam

https://www.internations.org/vietnam-expats/guide/living-in-vietnam-15470/healthcare-in-vietnam-2

if you have an supporting website informatio no Vietnam that it is "50 years behind" that would be great. Seems good in cities and not so good in rurual areas.

38 minutes ago, granuaile said:

First, want to say a great post.

I think we all have our reasons for staying or leaving. When I came here I didn't think I'd ever leave, still not sure leaving will be permanent. Now, more than nine years later, I had already decided to, probably, leave and that was before the U.S. embassy discontinued the income affidavit - the changes due to that just sort of cemented it. I love this country, I love it's people (not just in BKK, but also up in CM and down South). I fell in love with Thailand the first time I was here, and on the balcony where I was staying on the river heard the adhan while gazing over across a Buddhist temple, something just said this is the most wonderful place on earth.

I don't mind the smog and never been stopped by police at all, but I live in a Thai neighborhood and never had a desire to live in the areas that draw a lot of foreigners. That said, other issues were drawing me home. Most of my family passed away in the years I've been here, my father passed away a year after I came here and was buried within the time frame it takes to even get back there. I also have a son back home as well and want to be closer to him as well.

I had already decided to go home for a few reasons. One was because I'll be turning 65 and while in good health will lose my current insurance, which is through my retirement plan and has excellent coverage abroad. I went back and last month signed up for Medicare B and my retirement's health insurance for those of us on Medicare. It too will cover me abroad, but much more limited (no limit on emergency care but one on routine care) and it requires me to reside in the states as a condition, so I've officially changed my residence back to the U.S. already and just back here to take care of things (mainly giving my possessions away, but also saying goodbye to friends).  I have a house there, a dog, and family, things I don't have here. They also have to take me, which is  a step above the uncertainty here. Also, back home state law requires state-supported universities, colleges, and vocational schools to waive tuition and fees at age 65 (I'd rather not turn 65, but if I have to...). Another reason is that I want to spend several months over the next year or so traveling in Europe, especially in Ireland.

These changes just sealed things. If they would accept my official documents from back home I might have yet changed my mind. However, in addition to all the uncertainties about transferring money here and it showing up here as an international transfer. I love my bank back home, it's locally owned and I get hugs whenever I'm back there or leaving to return here, and for me a few trips to the ATM work fine. But not with the end of the income affidavit. Also I help out back home with the bills and property taxes and insurance. Not something I have to do, but something I choose to do, and something I just won't stop - and importing the 65,000 each month wouldn't let me do that.

I may return one day, or I may opt for Indonesia (due to it's permanent residency option) or the Philippines, where I have in-laws and can enter with my spouse for a year at a time as balikbayan. Or Central/South America. However, I think I'll just stick to lengthy (and short) trips to various places around the world, unless Ireland ever becomes an option. If I do come back it would probably only be if my spouse and son joined me.

I wish you well Captain Jack. Thanks for a thoughtful post, and ignore the naysayers. I think a lot of us are making this same choice for a whole lot of disparate reasons. Life is too short to live it with all the uncertainties.

Thank you for your great comments.   Good luck.

22 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

Not sure how many of the Liverpuds supping in Patts New Plaza will be thinking of joining you on the same plane.

5 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

I looked at what seemed realistic for her and me at this point.  She is 43  a college graduate and still struggles.   I know I don't have the resources to care for both of us back in the USA,  even if I could get her a Visa. I made the decisions I needed to make for me.  I've given her as much money as I can afford, furnished an affordable apartment for her and we chat daily. The reasons we originally got together did not matter.  Bottom line  we were introduced on a double date by a friend of mine and fell for each other.

I'll try to help her because I care about her.  And I don't care what anyone thinks about Thai women and that think I'm stupid.   I trust her and believe her.  I have decided to leave. I'll do what I can for her from afar.  

PS.

I don't care for the way Thai or any women are treated and objectified.  I made a point to treat her with love and respect.   There is no, "just find another girlfriend " for me.  I was not even looking when we met.

I hope that answers your question. 

Take care....

Captain Jack,

I wasn't criticising or prying, I was merely pointing out something that appeared to be missing in your analysis of why you are leaving.

I too have a Thai girlfriend of 10 years. We are very happy. I have no criticism of Thai women or Thai people in general for that matter.

In 15 years of living here plus multiple visits here before that since 1964, I have never had the slightest problem with Thai people. I dislike the smog here in CM, but I take the necessary steps. Immigration officers have always been polite to me - the same with the police on the streets. I have been stopped on numerous occasions over the past 15 years and every policeman that has stopped me has been polite, friendly and helpful. I don't like the new rules, but I can live with them, irritating though that may be.

I wish you every success and good luck on your new venture. Hope all goes well for you.

Some of your posts do not make sense why not to retire here but hey it's your choice. 

1. The 90 day reports can be done online so you don't have to actually report to immigration. I do because they are 5 mins from my house and I know some of the girls/officers who work there.

2. If your pension is enough you don't need to keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank (400,000 if married) just show the deposits being transferred to a Thai bank monthly. 65,000 retirement extension---40,000 married to Thai extension both good for a year.

3. You say you receive 2 Gov pensions. If 1 is retired Military you can be covered by TRICARE an amendment  to Medicare and will cover ex-military here in Thailand. I am ex military but retired from US Postal Service and my Gov health plan covers me forever wherever I am in the world. I don't even have to pay Medicare if not planning to return to US as my Gov policy pays for care here. Why if retired from Gov job did you not keep the health insurance?    

4. Been coming to Thailand since 2000 and lived here since 2013 and have never been stopped by a police officer.

8 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Well, this is exactly what I expected.  A crude reply with assumptions that have no basis in my real experience.   Enjoy your life.  I'm going to have mine, do what is best for me and be happy I took the time to write something positive.  Bye bye.

Thanks for your most constructive reply. Well done.

24 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

An' the blasted English drizzle wakes the fever in my bones;
Tho' I walks with fifty 'ousemaids outer Chelsea to the Strand,
An' they talks a lot o' lovin', but wot do they understand?
Beefy face an' grubby 'and -
Law! wot do they understand?
I've a neater, sweeter maiden in a cleaner, greener land!

Rudyard Kipling. 

And to finish the verse  which by the way, is well the one to write...

Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
Where there aren't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst;
For the temple-bells are callin', an' it's there that I would be --
By the old Moulmein Pagoda, looking lazy at the sea;
On the road to Mandalay,
Where the old Flotilla lay,
With our sick beneath the awnings when we went to Mandalay!
On the road to Mandalay,
Where the flyin'-fishes play,
An' the dawn comes up like thunder outer China 'crost the Bay!

I have been coming here for 22 years now. At first for a few weks to now 4-5 months at a time. I really do enjoy it here, but would never consider retiring here. there are great things here, but my life back home in my country has advantages I just cant match here. This is a great place to vacation...and then return home home to relax.

8 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Thanks broken one. I hope there are many other positive,  constructive replies.  Good luck.

Hi Cpt. Jack. greetings from a  crew member 12th Group 11th Bn. Vultures 162nd Assault Helicopter Co.  Phouc Vien. do your home work for the places you want to go. yes maybe try for a few months. Have a Texas Day from San Antonio.

23 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Some of your posts do not make sense why not to retire here but hey it's your choice. 

1. The 90 day reports can be done online so you don't have to actually report to immigration. I do because they are 5 mins from my house and I know some of the girls/officers who work there.

2. If your pension is enough you don't need to keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank (400,000 if married) just show the deposits being transferred to a Thai bank monthly. 65,000 retirement extension---40,000 married to Thai extension both good for a year.

3. You say you receive 2 Gov pensions. If 1 is retired Military you can be covered by TRICARE an amendment  to Medicare and will cover ex-military here in Thailand. I am ex military but retired from US Postal Service and my Gov health plan covers me forever wherever I am in the world. I don't even have to pay Medicare if not planning to return to US as my Gov policy pays for care here. Why if retired from Gov job did you not keep the health insurance?    

4. Been coming to Thailand since 2000 and lived here since 2013 and have never been stopped by a police officer.

Hi,

Just for clarity sake. One pension is social security and the other from a DOD contractor.  I spent 15 years including my reserve time in the military and then went to work at a better paying government job. I have a friend in Bangkok that asked about the Tri-Care thing already.   It would have been nice.

Take care....

1 hour ago, wreckingcountry said:

The comfortable TV losers who think imm rules are ok because they aren’t affected by them ! Fact is I would agree with OP NEVER burn your bridges to home because Thailand will find some way to screw you !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

NEVER burn your bridges to home applies always and any where. Admittedly, here in Thailand immigration hustle makes life difficult for some, to most expatriates. The strong Baht makes life even more difficult for some, but all this may occur wherever you go. Today Malaysia and Vietnam seem to some pleasant countries to retire to, but tomorrow things may change there. That's life. It's different if one actually immigrates to a typical immigration country (like Canada, Australia, NZ and the USA-before or after Trump) at a young age and really makes home there. Otherwise never burn your bridges, you may very well need to use them.....

at a young age

Archived