Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 March 2019 15:40
rooster59

Death of Canadian sickened in Thailand inspires daughter's vaccine crusade

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

This man was very unfortunate - JE is not widespread and is only found in rural pig raising areas. The average tourist does not need the vaccine.

 

 

The reason that tourists are not recommended the vaccine is that it is rare however it is found in many tourist areas of Thailand, such as Krabi which actually  has one of the highest numbers of cases in Thailand. 

 

The reason that all Japanese children are vaccinated is that it is not restricted to rural areas or around pigs.  Pigs are a major host and transmitter to humans and most cases are near them, but it does not require pigs like you may hear some people claim, it only requires a vertebrate host.  Wading birds are actually the most prolific carriers of JE and so it gets transported all over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

 

 

The reason that tourists are not recommended the vaccine is that it is rare however it is found in many tourist areas of Thailand, such as Krabi which actually  has one of the highest numbers of cases in Thailand. 

 

The reason that all Japanese children are vaccinated is that it is not restricted to rural areas or around pigs.  Pigs are a major host and transmitter to humans and most cases are near them, but it does not require pigs like you may hear some people claim, it only requires a vertebrate host.  Wading birds are actually the most prolific carriers of JE and so it gets transported all over.

Strange I live in Krabi where there has been no outbreaks of JE  -- Where do you get this information from? 

Produce the evidence or stop scaremongering. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Had the three dose pre-exposure Rabies vaccine shots. Didn’t notice any side effects at all. 

    Not even the bit of a sore arm muscle for a couple of days like you get from the tetanus vaccine shot or from Shingrix shingles vaccine shots.

     As a matter of fact, your post is the first I’ve ever heard of side effects from Rabies pre-exposure vaccine shots.

       (You still need two further shots of Rabies vaccine if bitten. But you don’t need the Rabies Immune Globulin, it can be sometimes hard to find and extremely expensive, and you don’t need three or four Rabies shots.)

 

Count your blessings. Actually the majority of people have no problem, however it is said, a higher per cent than other vaccines, experience side effects. By this it means more than a sore arm and 24 to 48 hour fever. Only then I read some of the warnings they have online about possible reactions ... oops and some people have gotten panicky and thought they are developing Rabies, because of the injections.  :biggrin: heh

A minor example. on my motorcycle waiting at the Si Yak by airport plaza, when suddenly I have a hot flash, dizzy, cold sweat, and was scared I was going to pass out. I was able to get off the bike roll it to the side of road and sit there for 5 minutes tell I could drive on. That was 5 days after an injection. Just comes on out of the blue. The nurse at Bk did say they had a person who came in because he could not "hold down food" heh, that must have been fun. 
 

As I worked OS in my younger days, I have had well over 60 injections, including the previous Rabies series with no problems.  Why this one did is a mystery, but it was ugly.

 

FYI - I got the series because a person I know was bitten by a dog and had to have the whole shebang ... that not in Isaan, not in Chiang Mai, but here in the north. I get the idea they might be "under-reporting" cases a bit. Image and all

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Its called Mosquirix and is made by GlaxoSmithKline.

Correct - although I suppose it is fair to point out that it is not freely available worldwide yet and as far as I can tell is only being used in a Malaria Vaccination Implementation Programme (MVIP) in three countries in Africa at the moment.

 

First MVIP underway in Kenya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Strange I live in Krabi where there has been no outbreaks of JE  -- Where do you get this information from? 

Produce the evidence or stop scaremongering. 

 

No, it doesn't work like that, you don't get to make things up about who is at risk and where and when confronted by facts to the contrary, call scaremonger.  Are the Japanese, South Korean and Taiwanese health authorities scaremongers for giving all children the vaccine?  One might ask where you are getting your 1970's take on the issue from?

 

There are 36 provinces in Thailand which have regular JE incidents.  The spread of the disease has changed, it used to stay mostly still and was concentrated in small pig farming areas in the north, but then Thailand switched to industrial pig farming and started buying piglets and transporting them around the country, and now the disease can be found anywhere.  Plenty on the net available to read about it, its something we have known about since the 80's.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

 

Sorry, what?  You want us to consider your "common sense" derived, which are actually just made up, percentages, but expect to be provided with sources when confronted by actual stats, hilarious!  There is plenty of research on this available in the public domain, instead of imagining figures and then trying to assert them as being "common sense", try reading.

 

 

 

    Get serious.... In a country like Thailand or Cambodia or Myanmar you really expect to more than scratch the surface in getting rid of literally billions of mosquito breeding places ??  That’s where I get my 3% - 5% .....And that’s being generous. 

     Unless you establish a total dictatorship and force everyone to work in mosquito breeding places eradication squads. With threatened execution if failure to comply. 

    In that case, you maybe might take care of 35% to 45% of the breeding places. 

       Are you a comedian???   555555 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

 

No, it doesn't work like that, you don't get to make things up about who is at risk and where and when confronted by facts to the contrary, call scaremonger.  Are the Japanese, South Korean and Taiwanese health authorities scaremongers for giving all children the vaccine?  One might ask where you are getting your 1970's take on the issue from?

 

There are 36 provinces in Thailand which have regular JE incidents.  The spread of the disease has changed, it used to stay mostly still and was concentrated in small pig farming areas in the north, but then Thailand switched to industrial pig farming and started buying piglets and transporting them around the country, and now the disease can be found anywhere.  Plenty on the net available to read about it, its something we have known about since the 80's.
 

You have failed to produce ANY evidence for what you claim. STOP SCAREMONGERING 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Catoni said:

    Get serious.... In a country like Thailand or Cambodia or Myanmar you really expect to more than scratch the surface in getting rid of literally billions of mosquito breeding places ??  That’s where I get my 3% - 5% .....And that’s being generous. 

     Unless you establish a total dictatorship and force everyone to work in mosquito breeding places eradication squads. With threatened execution if failure to comply. 

    In that case, you maybe might take care of 35% to 45% of the breeding places. 

       Are you a comedian???   555555 🙂 

 

You are not being in the slightest bit generous to Thailand, they manage far greater results in Africa, why such low expectations of Thai people?  It did not take a dictatorship or forcing anyone to do anything in Africa, just informing people of the habits of mosquitoes.

 

No, nothing funny about taking actual case studies into consideration over one TV posters "common sense" guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Catoni said:

    Get serious.... In a country like Thailand or Cambodia or Myanmar you really expect to more than scratch the surface in getting rid of literally billions of mosquito breeding places ??  That’s where I get my 3% - 5% .....And that’s being generous. 

     Unless you establish a total dictatorship and force everyone to work in mosquito breeding places eradication squads. With threatened execution if failure to comply. 

    In that case, you maybe might take care of 35% to 45% of the breeding places. 

       Are you a comedian???   555555 🙂 

NO country has eradicated the mosquito nor even achieved a long term reduction of the mosquito population

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

NO country has eradicated the mosquito nor even achieved a long term reduction of the mosquito population

Not correct, there are some countries which have eradicated malaria.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/11/paraguay-declared-free-of-malaria-by-who

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Mmmm -- It would appear you are determined to troll this thread and have refused repeatedly to evidence your claims. My hand is now hovering over the report button now you are resorting to abuse.

 

I am sure, but what you could be doing is looking it up and then apologizing for calling me a scaremonger, but hey ho, if reporting people is what you need to do to feel better then so be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

 

Count your blessings. Actually the majority of people have no problem, however it is said, a higher per cent than other vaccines, experience side effects. By this it means more than a sore arm and 24 to 48 hour fever. Only then I read some of the warnings they have online about possible reactions ... oops and some people have gotten panicky and thought they are developing Rabies, because of the injections.  :biggrin: heh

A minor example. on my motorcycle waiting at the Si Yak by airport plaza, when suddenly I have a hot flash, dizzy, cold sweat, and was scared I was going to pass out. I was able to get off the bike roll it to the side of road and sit there for 5 minutes tell I could drive on. That was 5 days after an injection. Just comes on out of the blue. The nurse at Bk did say they had a person who came in because he could not "hold down food" heh, that must have been fun. 
 

As I worked OS in my younger days, I have had well over 60 injections, including the previous Rabies series with no problems.  Why this one did is a mystery, but it was ugly.

 

FYI - I got the series because a person I know was bitten by a dog and had to have the whole shebang ... that not in Isaan, not in Chiang Mai, but here in the north. I get the idea they might be "under-reporting" cases a bit. Image and all

 

 

 

Careful of dizzy spells and thinking you might pass out etc.  I had three over the period of a week and finally decided to get checked out. After treadmill stress test. ECG’s Nuclear tracer scan, CT (CAT) scan, and heart catheterization with dye x-ray etc.....turns out I have cardiac arteries almost totally blocked. I’m going in for bypass surgery on March 4. 

    Wish me luck. They say that usually the first sign of this problem is the person falls dead or has a heart attack with massive damage. 

    I was lucky to only have dizzy spells and decide to get them checked out by the professionals. My heart itself has had no damage yet. 

    So now I’m taking tiny blood pressure lowering pills, a cholesterol lowering pill, and an 81 mg aspirin each day. I’m sure the surgery will prove interesting. 

    Careful with your heart and cardiac arteries folks. I’m told that most people have no idea what’s been building up inside them quietly over the years and decades...until it’s too late. 

Edited by Catoni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

 

Count your blessings. Actually the majority of people have no problem, however it is said, a higher per cent than other vaccines, experience side effects. By this it means more than a sore arm and 24 to 48 hour fever. Only then I read some of the warnings they have online about possible reactions ... oops and some people have gotten panicky and thought they are developing Rabies, because of the injections.  :biggrin: heh

A minor example. on my motorcycle waiting at the Si Yak by airport plaza, when suddenly I have a hot flash, dizzy, cold sweat, and was scared I was going to pass out. I was able to get off the bike roll it to the side of road and sit there for 5 minutes tell I could drive on. That was 5 days after an injection. Just comes on out of the blue. The nurse at Bk did say they had a person who came in because he could not "hold down food" heh, that must have been fun. 
 

As I worked OS in my younger days, I have had well over 60 injections, including the previous Rabies series with no problems.  Why this one did is a mystery, but it was ugly.

 

FYI - I got the series because a person I know was bitten by a dog and had to have the whole shebang ... that not in Isaan, not in Chiang Mai, but here in the north. I get the idea they might be "under-reporting" cases a bit. Image and all

 

 

 

Your funny spell was very unlikely to have been vaccine related - I guess it never occurred to you that it was more likely to be something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...