Death of Canadian sickened in Thailand inspires daughter's vaccine crusade

rooster59

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/17/2019 at 12:53 PM, Lemonltr said:

I once read an article from mosquito experts saying that protective lotions should have a minimum content of 30% deet. I found a one with 25% deet and it was the cheapest. Blue bottle printed with a large number 15. I assume company name. 

However lately it has disappeared from all supermarket shelves ( chemists and 7/11 don't sell it) Now left with creams with 7% deet. 

The EU has banned products containing over 10% deet and some European countries have banned it altogether.  Its pretty toxic, it poses no real risk in short term use but should not be used for long periods.

On 2/17/2019 at 12:53 PM, Lemonltr said:

I once read an article from mosquito experts saying that protective lotions should have a minimum content of 30% deet. I found a one with 25% deet and it was the cheapest. Blue bottle printed with a large number 15. I assume company name. 

However lately it has disappeared from all supermarket shelves ( chemists and 7/11 don't sell it) Now left with creams with 7% deet. 

28% and 95% DEET can be bought through Lazada

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

The EU has banned products containing over 10% deet and some European countries have banned it altogether.  Its pretty toxic, it poses no real risk in short term use but should not be used for long periods.

I suppose there is a downside to most things and are the effects of Deet more harmful than what you may contract by being bitten by mosquitos.

The one I buy here contains 15% Deet but we tend to spray it on the outside of the clothing and shoes rather than the skin, seems to work.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, Sheryl said:

CDC:

"You may need this vaccine if your trip will last more than a month, depending on where you are going in Thailand and what time of year you are traveling. You should also consider this vaccine if you plan to visit rural areas in Thailand or will be spending a lot of time outdoors, even for trips shorter than a month."  https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/thailand

"Endemic countrywide; seasonal epidemics in the northern provinces....Highest rates of human disease reported from the Chiang Mai Valley; several cases reported recently in travelers who visited resort or coastal areas of southern Thailand."

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2018/infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/japanese-encephalitis#5200

JE is part of the standard Thai vaccine schedule, all Thais are vaccinated against it as children so cases in Thais are much fewer than in the past, last estimate I have seen is about 300 cases a year reported. 

The mortality rate is 20-30% and survivors can suffer permanent brain damage. An important vaccine to get.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20674433

Also from die CDC website:

The overall incidence of JE among people from nonendemic countries traveling to Asia is estimated to be <1 case per 1 million travelers. However, expatriates and travelers who stay for prolonged periods in rural areas with active JE virus transmission are likely at similar risk as the susceptible resident population (5–50 cases per 100,000 children per year). Travelers on even brief trips might be at increased risk if they have extensive outdoor or nighttime exposure in rural areas during periods of active transmission. 

"periods of active transmission" are basically when the rice paddies are flooded. 

Elderly people are more at risk than middle-aged people.

Expats who get the vaccine should figure out when to get a booster (for IXIARO: after 1 year,  again after 10 years - not sure about people over 65).

Europeans may get free vaccination against JE from social security.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:14 AM, Inepto Cracy said:

On another note, just because you were vacinated as a child against measels, does not mean you cant get it or get it again.

Measels outbreaks in adults is increasing in Phuket, Phang Nha and Krabi.

Japan, Indonesia, Korea and Australia have a resurgrnce of Measels.

This is fact, as I contracted measels three weeks ago.

The itching in adults is severe and lasts almost 30 days.

Could I still get measles if I am fully vaccinated?

A: Very few people—about three out of 100—who get two doses of measles vaccine will still get measles if exposed to the virus. Experts aren’t sure why. It could be that their immune systems didn’t respond as well as they should have to the vaccine. But the good news is, fully vaccinated people who get measles are much more likely to have a milder illness. And fully vaccinated people are also less likely to spread the disease to other people, including people who can’t get vaccinated because they are too young or have weakened immune systems.

Q: Do I ever need a booster vaccine?

A: No. CDC considers people who received two doses of measles vaccine as children according to the U.S. vaccination schedule protected for life, and they do not ever need a booster dose.

Adults need at least one dose of measles vaccine, unless they have evidence of immunity. Adults who are going to be in a setting that poses a high risk for measles transmission should make sure they have had two doses separated by at least 28 days. These adults include students at post-high school education institutions, healthcare personnel, and international travelers.

If you’re not sure whether you were vaccinated, talk with your doctor. More information about who needs measles vaccine.

Source: Centers for Disease Control

CDC

I read that JE vaccine is only effective for 18 months...or is that wrong ?

EDIT : OK, I see it works up 84% at 5-year point. Pretty good insurance for those going out into the countryside, or staying there.

"The one I got was IMOJEV, and that seems to be the version now advertised at all the clinics in Thailand.  It’s just a single shot.  This link says that protection in adults drops from 99% to 84% after 5 years, so maybe a booster shot is needed: "

Archived