Exclusive: Meth 'disaster' for region as seizures surge in Thailand

rooster59

Exclusive: Meth 'disaster' for region as seizures surge in Thailand

Tom Allard

meth.JPG

Thailand police shows to the media one of its largest crystal methamphetamine busts during a news conference in Bangkok, Thailand April 3, 2018. REUTERS/Panu Wongcha-um

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Seizures of high-purity crystal methamphetamine have surged more than tenfold in Thailand over the past two years, statistics show, a stark indicator of the growth in industrial-scale production of the stimulant in neighboring Myanmar.

Thailand is a major trafficking route for crystal meth manufactured in Myanmar’s Shan and Kachin states, where police say Asian organized crime groups have allied with local pro-government militias and armed rebels to set-up “super labs”.

The drug syndicates have distributed the meth across the Asia-Pacific region, from South Korea to New Zealand and most countries in between, authorities say.

Some 18.4 tonnes of crystal meth, also known as ice, was seized in Thailand in 2018, according to preliminary statistics from the country’s Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) reviewed by Reuters. The final data is expected to be released publicly next month. That is up from 5.2 tonnes in 2017 and 1.6 tonnes in 2016. It’s more than treble the amount captured across all of Southeast Asia five years ago.

Myanmar’s illicit labs also pump out tablets of meth mixed with caffeine, commonly know as “yaba”, or crazy pill, in the Thai language. The tablets are popular with low-paid workers in gruelling jobs and poor recreational drug users across Southeast Asia.

Thai authorities seized 516 million meth tablets in 2018, more than double the previous year and four-and-a-half times the 114 million pills captured in 2016.

Niyom Termsrisuk, secretary general of the ONCB, told Reuters that, despite the rising seizures, prices for meth are falling, suggesting far more is eluding authorities than being stopped.

The average price of a meth tablet was 200 baht ($6.33) in 2013. The latest data, for 2017, showed a yaba pill can be bought for as little as 80 baht ($2.50), he said.

By flooding Thailand and other countries with meth, organized crime groups have “generated new users” by enticing them with lower prices, Niyom said. The users then become dependent on the highly addictive drug, creating a bigger market for the product.

GRAPHIC: Record high: meth seizures in Thailand - tmsnrt.rs/2Bm7uqr

“2018 A DISASTER”

Southeast Asia’s Golden Triangle - which encompasses northern Myanmar and parts of Laos and Thailand - has long been a hub of illicit drug trafficking.

While opium cultivation and heroin refining has fallen in the past decade, methamphetamine production has more than filled the breach.

“It’s hard to say anything other than 2018 was a disaster for the meth supply coming out of Myanmar,” said Jeremy Douglas, the Asia representative for the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

Law enforcement agencies were overwhelmed while “health authorities are seriously under-resourced and have limited capacity to offer treatment”, he added.

Regional police and analysts told Reuters that organized crime groups exploit the semi-lawless northern Myanmar borderlands, doing deals with the multitude of ethnic armed gangs and state-sponsored militias who control territory there.

The ONCB’s Niyom said 8 tonnes of crystal meth had been captured en route to southern Thailand and the border with Malaysia in 2018. From there, “it was on its way to other markets”, he said.

In the past year, police have intercepted boats laden with meth that left the Malaysian city of Penang. Syndicates also use “motherships” that pick up the drugs in the Andaman Sea and distribute them as far afield as Australia and New Zealand.

Meth from Myanmar has also been found smuggled in shipping containers in the Philippines and Malaysia.

According to regional anti-drugs police, who spoke on condition of anonymity, chemists are brought in from Taiwan and China to run the meth labs in Myanmar, while the precursors and lab equipment mostly come from China.

Last month, Myanmar’s military intercepted state-of-the-art laboratory equipment near Muse, a city in Shan state on the Chinese border.

Regional police say the crystal meth produced in Myanmar is the purest they have seen.

According to an ONCB briefing document reviewed by Reuters, 99.92 percent of the crystal meth seized in Thailand in the first six months of 2018 was 90 percent pure or higher.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-17

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

seized 516 million meth tablets in 2018...far more is eluding authorities than being stopped

Astonishing considering the population is 70 million. I know nothing of the stuff but if everyone is using it maybe it's time to legalize instead of throw more money at the futile effort of seizures.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Astonishing considering the population is 70 million. I know nothing of the stuff but if everyone is using it maybe it's time to legalize instead of throw more money at the futile effort of seizures.

its  not  like pot you know.......imagine an axe  wielding maniac whose totally deranged and at  loose  in the public  domain, then put him her in a  car

10 minutes ago, kannot said:

its  not  like pot you know.......imagine an axe  wielding maniac whose totally deranged and at  loose  in the public  domain, then put him her in a  car

Perhaps the answer is to legalise pot, cocaine, heroin etc. - the less harmful drugs w.r.to aggression. I don't have a problem with that, as long as drug users are treated the same in a court of law as someone who is not under the influence of drugs. The experience of countries that legalise heroin and opium is that crime rates fall.

Methamphetamine is a scourge wherever it goes. I don't know the answer to it.

The article insinuates literally BILLIONS of meth pills made it to market in 2018 alone. That's mind blowing. Given that kind of usage already exists today it is unclear how legalizing it would cause a sudden shift to an axe wielding maniac society. Curbing is not working. New strategy, whatever that may be, is needed.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Canopy,

Last month the house next to ours was occupied by a couple which stated they were going to start a laundromat. A banner was hung, 3 big washingmachines were carried inside, some clothes were hung out to dry in the vrontyard.

Vrom day 1 the gate has been closed. There are comings and goings all times ov day and night, regugular vights, screaming in the night, cursing loudly, OUR vrontyard is littered with cigarettebuds, they go to sleep when we wake up in the morning, vrom 4-5 in the avternoon the show gets underway and the racket starts. It's so loud that I can't hear my own television set. My 9-year old is picking up a whole range o new, special words to say to people. Selling and using meth is a curse.

Sure , legalise meth. Personally I would like to take them behind the house and do to them wat Taksin ordered.

Unvortunately my wive is stopping me vrom doing this. We have decided, however, to move next week.

So maybe you should have another think about the matter.

The people in Thailand disturb the peace all the time and it isn't meth related. There are endless threads about the late night funerals, the loud karaoke, the noisy motorcycles, etc, etc. So insinuating no meth dealers would somehow make a peaceful place to live is ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, Bullie said:

Canopy,

Last month the house next to ours was occupied by a couple which stated they were going to start a laundromat. A banner was hung, 3 big washingmachines were carried inside, some clothes were hung out to dry in the vrontyard.

Vrom day 1 the gate has been closed. There are comings and goings all times ov day and night, regugular vights, screaming in the night, cursing loudly, OUR vrontyard is littered with cigarettebuds, they go to sleep when we wake up in the morning, vrom 4-5 in the avternoon the show gets underway and the racket starts. It's so loud that I can't hear my own television set. My 9-year old is picking up a whole range o new, special words to say to people. Selling and using meth is a curse.

Sure , legalise meth. Personally I would like to take them behind the house and do to them wat Taksin ordered.

Unvortunately my wive is stopping me vrom doing this. We have decided, however, to move next week.

Yes it is a curse.

It was in my village..and now it is in my home town,NSW,Australia.

These zomboids are on a hair trigger.

It is interesting discussing their past drug careers (in Australia)...almost without exception they started on hydroponic pot (yarndi,maryjane-call it what you will) lost the "buzz" and then went on to the meth or continued to use a combo of the two.

Very different from the cocaine and heroin addicts of old.

32 minutes ago, canopy said:

The people in Thailand disturb the peace all the time and it isn't meth related. There are endless threads about the late night funerals, the loud karaoke, the noisy motorcycles, etc, etc. So insinuating no meth dealers would somehow make a peaceful place to live is ridiculous.

I insinuate no such thing. You draw a ridiculous conclusion. I am merely telling a story about some meth heads that moved in to the house next doors, and stated that in my humble opinion they should be put away or exterminated. It is a terrible addiction and NOTHING will improve when this particular drug would be legalized..

2 hours ago, canopy said:

Your post should have ended after those 6 words.

To admit to not knowing the slightest thing about meth, then trying to have a debate to legalise it, ain't very clever.  

24 minutes ago, Farma said:

I suppose its too late to ask the opinion of 2 old ladies in villages near us that were beaten to death by their grandsons wanting money to buy their yaba.

A lot of things cause people to kill others. Alcohol. Way too many innocent people are killed on the road and elsewhere by it every year. Should it be banned? Where is your story about the 2 old ladies run over by a drunk? Why is there a double standard?

51 minutes ago, mok199 said:

With a minimum wage of peanuts and little chance for a better future addictions run wild....PEOPLE NEED A DIGNIFIED WAGE...

people  need to understand a dignified wage requires some dignified  work not  sitting on yer ass  gawking at a    phone all day

38 minutes ago, canopy said:

A lot of things cause people to kill others. Alcohol. Way too many innocent people are killed on the road and elsewhere by it every year. Should it be banned? Where is your story about the 2 old ladies run over by a drunk? Why is there a double standard?

"I know nothing of the stuff"

Suggest you address that deficiency before further posting.

1 hour ago, Bullie said:

Canopy,

Why do you imagine that legalizing the use of illicit drugs would make the social impact greater while all evidence points to the opposite?

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes it is a curse.

It was in my village..and now it is in my home town,NSW,Australia.

These zomboids are on a hair trigger.

It is interesting discussing their past drug careers (in Australia)...almost without exception they started on hydroponic pot (yarndi,maryjane-call it what you will) lost the "buzz" and then went on to the meth or continued to use a combo of the two.

Very different from the cocaine and heroin addicts of old.

Without exception they started on alcohol, or does that not fit your agenda?

3 hours ago, canopy said:

No way should it be legalized. It is not only addictive. It does neuro damage resulting in very  volatile  behaviours. 

Maybe is why the rapid change of attitude  to  Ganga?

Opposite  effects in general.

7 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

No way should it be legalized. It is not only addictive. It does neuro damage resulting in very  volatile  behaviours. 

Maybe is why the rapid change of attitude  to  Ganga?

Opposite  effects in general.

"As with marijuana, they are still open to decriminalizing amphetamines for recreational use, Mana Siripithayawat, a director at the Office of Narcotics Control Board said."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/10/20/thailands-drug-decriminalization-edges-forward-little-fanfare/

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

"As with marijuana, they are still open to decriminalizing amphetamines for recreational use, Mana Siripithayawat, a director at the Office of Narcotics Control Board said."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/10/20/thailands-drug-decriminalization-edges-forward-little-fanfare/

Yes. A bizzare contradiction. But the  jails  are overfilled. Release and refill them  with  violent criminals ? Cart after the horse !

1 minute ago, DuiDui48 said:

..and to get that..EDUCATION..wordy that higher wage..

Rising wages in rural areas would mean changes in agricultural practices to less labour intensive methods and result in mass unemployment, they are aware of this and until they have educated an elite to the point that they can provide startups which employ the masses currently employed in rural areas, the masses will have to remain peasants or they will have nothing at all.

6 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Yes. A bizzare contradiction. But the  jails  are overfilled. Release and refill them  with  violent criminals ? Cart after the horse !

Contradictory to what?  In my opinion all drugs should be decriminalized for possession and the only crime should be making money from them, fill the jails with the businessmen and officials who have profited from the drug industry rather than their victims.

The article insinuates literally BILLIONS of meth pills made it to market in 2018 alone. That's mind blowing. Given that kind of usage already exists today it is unclear how legalizing it would cause a sudden shift to an axe wielding maniac society. Curbing is not working. New strategy, whatever that may be, is needed.

Nobody here has an interest of really stopping the drug trade.

In Myanmar it fuels the economic growth because of the enormous profits involved.

It is estimated that the drug trade in South East Asia is worth around 40 billion US $ - this money flows back into the economy and would account for approx. 8-9 % of Thailand’s GDP!

In countries as corrupt as in South East Asia authorities can easily be payed off or are actively involved in the drug trade.

There is only one way the drug trade could be stopped - when people stop using them - this can only be achieved through education and organizing young people giving them something useful to do - not abandoning them to fend for themselves after they leave school.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is the end result and payback of years of police corruption.if it was stamped on in the first place it wouldn't be half as bad as it is now.as for making it legal,that's just giving in and would amplify the problem by making it cheaper.weve got loads of the junkies in and around my village and I can tell you they are completely messed up as humans and just a waste of good oxygen and space.they can't work and are totally disfunctional and dangerous people.meth is the worst of the worst drugs and to anyone who says legalise it need to have a gang of them live in the houses both sides of their houses for a week or two if they last that long.i say build some super prisons solely for drug users and dealers and give them treatment with monthly testing when released.its now blown back in the authorities face and has become a plague as it's not been policed properly from the start.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

My suggestion to you: Try some Yaba. Then you will know the divverence between alcohol and this substance.

Until then I suggest you ruzip about the matter.

3 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Nobody here has an interest of really stopping the drug trade.

In Myanmar it fuels the economic growth because of the enormous profits involved.

It is estimated that the drug trade in South East Asia is worth around 40 billion US $ - this money flows back into the economy and would account for approx. 8-9 % of Thailand’s GDP!

In countries as corrupt as in South East Asia authorities can easily be payed off or are actively involved in the drug trade.

There is only one way the drug trade could be stopped - when people stop using them - this can only be achieved through education and organizing young people giving them something useful to do - not abandoning them to fend for themselves after they leave school.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You imagine that the profits from the Shan drug trade flows back into the Thai economy rather than funding the conflict in Myanmar and you think that this fuels economic growth in Myanmar rather than preventing it through the ongoing civil war that it funds?  I think you are alone on that one!

The way to tackle this epidemic would be to address the issues of the Shan.

Archived