Exclusive: Meth 'disaster' for region as seizures surge in Thailand

rooster59

2 hours ago, canopy said:

A lot of things cause people to kill others. Alcohol. Way too many innocent people are killed on the road and elsewhere by it every year. Should it be banned? Where is your story about the 2 old ladies run over by a drunk? Why is there a double standard?

You are flogging a dead horse, for better or worse alcohol is legal but meth isn't. Thailand has a problem if the Burma Army will do nothing bomb the labs. That will cause a down turn for a bit then bomb again sooner or later they will get the message. America has it's meth problem hard to control when someone can set up a lab. in the back of a pick up

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

How about respecting their legal claim to sovereignty?

???? okay Mahatma...

If a nation poses a huge threat to their neighbors stability, you see no reason to at least threaten to bomb the region the neighbor has clearly lost control of...

1 minute ago, ParadiseLost said:

Perhaps also remove punishment for family members sorting out the problem in-house? Today if a parent beats a thieving child, or an abused wife stabs her yabba crazed husband, they are in a lot of trouble. This serves to encourage addicts to abuse those around them with impunity. The law should start at home.

I can understand your point, but if fact you are proposing that beating children or stabbing husbands should be legalised, so i don't think we have a solution here.

Just now, ParadiseLost said:

???? okay Mahatma...

If a nation poses a huge threat to their neighbors stability, you see no reason to at least threaten to bomb the region the neighbor has clearly lost control of...

Oh, do you believe in bombing as a way to solve the problems ?

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I can understand your point, but if fact you are proposing that beating children or stabbing husbands should be legalised, so i don't think we have a solution here.

I mean if meth, or for that matter any other mind altering substance is shown to be the contributing factor. As it is in self defense cases.

27 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

So opium is OK, as is its naturally made derivative heroin, but possession of tramadol should receive the death sentence, clearly you've thought this one through past your personal need for alcohol.

Yes. Wasn't that perfectly clear.

im pro drugs having been a user of basically everything and dealer of most. However with my experience with all of them i have to say Legalize marijuana only! 

Heroin is about the only drug that wont cause long term effects if it doesnt kill you. Killed my girlfreind while in my arms... The rest if your lucky you'll die early of cancer. 

Never legalize meth or youll have a complete society breakdown. 

Thats my 2cents to the commenters...

Just now, ozmeldo said:

Yes. Wasn't that perfectly clear.

So you would outlaw prescription drugs but would legalize heroin, that is what you have made perfectly clear in what did appear until your confirmation as being nothing but a halfbaked plan made all the sillier by a poor choice of wording, up to you I suppose.

4 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

I see no alternative at this point, do you have any?

I think there are millions of alternatives which are better than bombing.

I fail to see how you can consider bombing as a solution, unless you bomb yourself, in which case you don't have to think about other people  problems anymore.

2 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Yes. Coca not cocaine. Opium not morphine or heroin.

Cocaine is a naturally occurring chemical found within the coca plant.  Heroin is a naturally occurring chemical found within opium.  You will have to go away and learn what synthetic means all on your own. 

39 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Public hanging of those providing funding for a political movement that the people support might not have the affect you imagine.  Myanmar has been trying to occupy those states for the past 70 years, it is not going well for them, what makes you imagine that you could just walz in an occupy them?

Yes. Myanmar doesn't have nearly the military strength as Thailand. What's the solution more tonnage of ice being pumped into your population?

Overwhelming force. Burn the jungles. Bring absolute terror down upon the population.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

I think there are millions of alternatives which are better than bombing.

I fail to see how you can consider bombing as a solution, unless you bomb yourself, in which case you don't have to think about other people  problems anymore.

Now you are just being obstinate and pedantic. No need, everyone has their opinion and last I checked they were quite entitled to it and on a public platform quite free to state it.

I ask again for one specific proposal, or how you would approach the problem that has not failed already...

42 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

duarte is a psychopath and should be locked up for life.

The rest of your post expresses equally disturbing views.

I agree about Duarte. I'm stating despite these draconian efforts the meth distribution goes on unabated.

People lose complete control of themselves. It then affects families, communities and the nation.

I realize many will not share this view but I am for the legalization and decriminalized possession of many substances currently illegal.

9 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

I see no alternative at this point, do you have any?

I have offered an alternative twice yet you ignored the alternative and instead keep your childlike fantasy of bombing them. 

The Shan people have a legally binding agreement with Myanmar which provides them the legal right to sovereignty, this agreement is ignored by Myanmar and thus the Shan have been fighting for independence since the 1950's while using the drug trade to fund their war. 

You claim the only solution to their fighting for rightful independence is to bomb them, actually they already tried that and unsurprisingly they failed to win over the people by killing some of them, and since then China has armed them and so it is no longer easy pickings as they have anti aircraft guns and helicopter gunships.

The alternative would be to put pressure on Myanmar to honor their agreement with the Shan kingdom and allow their independence.

3 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Now you are just being obstinate and pedantic. No need, everyone has their opinion and last I checked they were quite entitled to it and on a public platform quite free to state it.

I ask again for one specific proposal, or how you would approach the problem that has not failed already...

Are you for real ? Which is worse, war and bombing or illegal drugs and random acts of criminality ?

i think we will have to agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

I have offered an alternative twice yet you ignored the alternative and instead keep your childlike fantasy of bombing them. 

The Shan people have a legally binding agreement with Myanmar which provides them the legal right to sovereignty, this agreement is ignored by Myanmar and thus the Shan have been fighting for independence since the 1950's while using the drug trade to fund their war. 

You claim the only solution to their fighting for rightful independence is to bomb them, actually they already tried that and unsurprisingly they failed to win over the people by killing some of them, and since then China has armed them and so it is no longer easy pickings as they have anti aircraft guns and helicopter gunships.

The alternative would be to put pressure on Myanmar to honor their agreement with the Shan kingdom and allow their independence.

Wow, you have so much insight into my thoughts... Scary!

The scale of the problem has now risen to national emergency levels, time for diplomacy has long expired. How long have they been trying to negotiate a solution? Every day they have been trying, meth factories have increased in capacity and number so that does not seem to be the solution.

Put pressure on Myanmar? You have to be joking, there is no real government and the military are in bed with Thai military ...so exactly who are you going to pressure?

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

Independence does not allow for wholesale manufacture and shipment abroad of substances which I'm certain would bring life in prison or death in Myanmar. They then I'm certain much to Myanmars dismay, ship it abroad causing further issues with neighbors and I'm certain breaking a number of international laws and conventions.

It's both straw man and red herring.

Their actions dictate actions against the region regardless of who is running the dump.

One has to wonder if they weren't making meth if there would even be an interest independance. It used to be heroin. Now meth, easier, more profitable. Textbook narco-state.

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Are you for real ? Which is worse, war and bombing or illegal drugs and random acts of criminality ?

Well you can stick to your sermon and I will state once again - bomb meth factories, not 'go to war' with Myanmar ????

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Just bomb the hell out if it and leave. If the shipments continue, do it again.

It's truly the Asian way.

1 minute ago, ParadiseLost said:

Well you can stick to your sermon and I will state once again - bomb meth factories, not 'go to war' with Myanmar ????

Sorry, i trust Mahatma Gandhi, you cannot solve problems with violence, because violence is the main problem.

3 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Just bomb the hell out if it and leave. If the shipments continue, do it again.

It's truly the Asian way.

Sorry, i trust Mahatma Gandhi, you cannot solve problems with violence, because violence is the main problem.

You imagine that the profits from the Shan drug trade flows back into the Thai economy rather than funding the conflict in Myanmar and you think that this fuels economic growth in Myanmar rather than preventing it through the ongoing civil war that it funds?  I think you are alone on that one!

The way to tackle this epidemic would be to address the issues of the Shan.

Maybe do some research! I was talking about South East Asia and of course the money is spent and flows back into the economy - It is obviously state sponsored - has always been.

Khun Sa went from most wanted criminal to “respected” business man almost from one day to the other after he moved to Yangon.

In his early life Khun Sa received military equipment and training from both the Kuomintang and Burmese Army before claiming to fight for the independence of Shan State and going on to establish his own independent territory.

Although the American ambassador to Thailand called him "the worst enemy the world has", he successfully co-opted the support of both the Thai and Burmese governments at various times.

Anybody who has lived in Chiang Mai in the 70’s and 80’s knows where the large heroin distribution centers where - protected by the Thai army.

After the American Drug Enforcement Agency uncovered and broke the link between Khun Sa and his foreign brokers, he "surrendered" to the Burmese government in 1996, disbanding his army and moving to Yangon with his wealth and mistresses.

After his retirement some of his forces refused to surrender and continued fighting the government, but he engaged in "legitimate" business projects, especially mining and construction.

He was nothing but a criminal womanizer - a traitor to his people.

Today, his children are prominent business people in Myanmar.

....... provides a prominent example of how the drug trade is inextricably intertwined with the country's (Myanmar ) new economy and lies at the root of many of its efforts to rebuild.

.... According to interviews with real estate brokers, economists, and current and former law enforcement agents, illicit drug profits have been a major source of investment in rebuilding the country (Myanmar) and companies linked to the drug trade are building new roads and bridges and reshaping the skyline of the biggest city, Yangon.

Since Myanmar began opening up to the world heroin trafficking has surged. The United Nations estimates that opium poppy cultivation has nearly tripled over the past six years. Myanmar has become the world's second-largest producer of heroin, as well as the region's leading supplier of methamphetamine.

And where do you think the billions in profits from the Thai drug trade go ? Of course back into the Thai economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps the answer is to legalise pot, cocaine, heroin etc. - the less harmful drugs w.r.to aggression. I don't have a problem with that, as long as drug users are treated the same in a court of law as someone who is not under the influence of drugs. The experience of countries that legalise heroin and opium is that crime rates fall.

Methamphetamine is a scourge wherever it goes. I don't know the answer to it.

Meth is a national threat to every country. Cruise missiles have been fired at countries that have threats,

but not a complete threat to the whole community that meth poses. The labs must be seen by satellite.

Time to lob a few in. 

5 hours ago, kannot said:

its  not  like pot you know.......imagine an axe  wielding maniac whose totally deranged and at  loose  in the public  domain, then put him her in a  car

It's depend on the use, normal use is the same as prescribed meds for weight loss, duromine (on script)and other meds like oxblood for energy(on script) and Tramadol (on script ) for pain . But it's like any Drug Take more and more for a High and go stupid  they Will Kill you. I am on Tramadol and paracetamol now for 9 years  for chronic ostioatrhitis pain ,, No probs,,

6 hours ago, canopy said:

Astonishing considering the population is 70 million. I know nothing of the stuff but if everyone is using it maybe it's time to legalize instead of throw more money at the futile effort of seizures.

Think  first.

Legalization of meth will kill millions and paralyze thailand.  The economy would collapse. If you think the roads are dangerous now, wait and watch what happens.

Archived