Fake agent outside British Embassy

5 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

Thought about that, but can’t talk to them without an appointment ????

Your not alone, seems most embassies are rubbish. Recently OZ embassy decided it would no longer do SD for residence address. The sort of thing you need for drivers licence. Perhaps this fake agent could obtain a residence certificate for au folk.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, Mukdahanman said:

I obtained a certified copy of passport and visa from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

What did you need a certified copy of passport and Visa for?

I'm aware of the woman in question, so is the British Embassy.

They cannot stop these street touts from operating.

Any official representative of an agent or translator touting outside the Embassies, will take you to their office personally.

• Like 2

Was she a (very) plump middle aged Thai woman?

If it is the same Thai woman that I have in mind - further investigation will show that she has a connection with a Visa Agency here in Pattaya - run by an English man. When I showed 'a possible interest' in their 'services' both my girlfriend and I were inundated with phone calls from this Thai woman. 

How it works:

You go into the *un-named* Pattaya Visa Agency with an enquiry and then if your enquiry falls within the plump Thai ladies (ahem)'expertise' the English guy will phone the plump Thai woman to tell her that he has 'caught-a-fish then he will pass on your contact details to her so she can 'reel-in-the-fish!'  

Her name begins with "P" and the Visa Agency is in close proximity to the Pattaya City Hospital.

AVOID????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

Perhaps you should share her details and preferably a photo with the British Embassy so that they can do something about her.

Would they be interested? All they are interested in is fleecing it's people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

What did you need a certified copy of passport and Visa for?

I'm aware of the woman in question, so is the British Embassy.

They cannot stop these street touts from operating.

Any official representative of an agent or translator touting outside the Embassies, will take you to their office personally.

The copies were for obtaining my ‘yellow book’, which will now have to wait until after my visa extension. 

In retrospect I was naive not to go to her office - guess you live and learn.

On a brighter note, the pressure from the real agent is having some effect -just received a call from the woman in question saying that my stuff is on its way, not holding my breath though.....

1 hour ago, WildBillHiccup said:

Was she a (very) plump middle aged Thai woman?

If it is the same Thai woman that I have in mind - further investigation will show that she has a connection with a Visa Agency here in Pattaya - run by an English man. When I showed 'a possible interest' in their 'services' both my girlfriend and I were inundated with phone calls from this Thai woman. 

How it works:

You go into the *un-named* Pattaya Visa Agency with an enquiry and then if your enquiry falls within the plump Thai ladies (ahem)'expertise' the English guy will phone the plump Thai woman to tell her that he has 'caught-a-fish then he will pass on your contact details to her so she can 'reel-in-the-fish!'  

Her name begins with "P" and the Visa Agency is in close proximity to the Pattaya City Hospital.

AVOID????

Not that plump and certainly no oil painting, but I don’t think she’s the same woman.

I have a copy of her ID card and all the details contained therein.

Anyone wanting these details can PM me

In your shoes, I would only respond to a PM from people with a history on TV. What if she or an accomplice creates an identity on TV, then sues for defamation on the basis of the PM you are sending out? Very legal murky waters. Perhaps one of the moderators can explain further.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE:

my documents have just arrived and appear to be in order, albeit 3 weeks late and 4000 bahts ‘surcharge’.

Things only started happening from the day that the legit agent talked to the woman in question, the same day that she appeared on this forum (she phoned me up in a panic ????). I believe that without this joint pressure I would never have received my documents - I think I am one of the lucky ones, and she’s still a person to avoid at all costs.

So we have a relatively happy ending, and I’m a little wiser.

A massive thank you to all that showed interest and support.

Edited by Mukdahanman
  • Like 2

As other have said, I would be careful about giving details, even in a PM. Our (western) laws are generally designed to protect the individuals from corruption (that's what they claim!), here it seems to be the opposite. Thailand has some of the strongest slander/liable/defamation laws, designed to keep the corruption machine rolling.

As to the agent, we almost fell for a similar trick, but were directed further down Wireless road, to a small shopping mall and multi-storey car park. It doesn't look much but upstairs is a 'proper' agency, with staff and chairs and tables. They did what we wanted, on time at the agreed price. 

It was a couple of years ago, so perhaps someone can give up-to-date info'.

BTW - I thought the British Embassy was going to sell up and move, so I might be completely out of date.

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

The police would be a more appropriate place to file your report.

If this happened in a western country I would agree 100%, but I’ve become very wary of involving the police here, the falang vs Thai thing, you know?

I think using a Thai (the real agent) to catch a Thai was the best option in this case, and fortunately seems to have worked.

39 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But that would probably end up in the same place as a report filed with the Embassy - in a pigeonhole gathering dust.

Their jurisdiction ends @ the exit turnstyle.

@Kieran00001 What offence has been committed? Acting as a 3rd party and charging for the service may well be deceitful but could well be within the law. 

The OP would be better off letting everyone know which company stamped his paperwork as it would suggest they're complicit. 

HTH

Edited by evadgib