How is your level of water in your well, or bore?

Joe Mcseismic

Just curious as to the state of fellow poster's well, or bore; particularly in Rawai.

My well is a little bit less than the average for this time of year. We still have another 2.5 months before the rains come and possibly 3.5 months if the SW monsoon is late.

I also have a 6" deep bore (61m) which I've never needed to use in the ten years I had it drilled.

Feel sorry for those on government water due to the low levels in the reservoirs. First thing the authorities will do, is lower the pressure. Has anyone experienced this, yet?

8 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I use a 50m tape measure with a rock attached. Dip the well each month in the dry season to see what the water table is doing.

This way, you'll get some warning before the well runs dry, which happened to me in 2005.

You learned from experience, so far no such problems for me, since 2003 using this well.

45 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Just checked the level in the well and it's down half a metre in a month.

Seeing more and more water trucks on the road.

If this weather keeps up, it's going to be a disaster for Phuket water wise.....

Phuket is the disaster.  Not the water.

On 2/24/2019 at 10:57 AM, Joe Mcseismic said:

Isn't that what I said?

No- he's clearly one of the non-Phuketers who just likes to bash the place ad nauseum.

In Kamala the water trucks are out 24 hrs a day. You can her their airhorns as they blast through the lights. Its clearly big business and there are 6 fairly new tankers on the go constantly.

Water level is definitely lower in my part of the town- the sulpherous smell that emanates from the shower this time of year is a good indicator that levels are down and the groundwater is heavily polluted. To counter this the staff are using chlorine which has its own downside. We are on a well, not mains water.

I have a friend who lives back on the hill and his well water is clean and plentiful.

18 hours ago, Psimbo said:

No- he's clearly one of the non-Phuketers who just likes to bash the place ad nauseum.

In Kamala the water trucks are out 24 hrs a day. You can her their airhorns as they blast through the lights. Its clearly big business and there are 6 fairly new tankers on the go constantly.

Water level is definitely lower in my part of the town- the sulpherous smell that emanates from the shower this time of year is a good indicator that levels are down and the groundwater is heavily polluted. To counter this the staff are using chlorine which has its own downside. We are on a well, not mains water.

I have a friend who lives back on the hill and his well water is clean and plentiful.

The sulphur smell could possibly be from H2S, a deadly gas which is OK when you can smell it as levels will be low. It is when you cannot smell it that levels are higher & dangerous

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 3:45 PM, Psimbo said:

I think the member meant Phuket's poor planning has created this disaster, not the lack of rainfall. 

I went up the back of my property today to check the well.  Still plenty of water. But jeezus christ there was a king cobra there at least 4 meters long.  Be careful.  Hot weather dries up water supplies but it also brings out the snakes.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:45 AM, Psimbo said:

I am not a non-Phuketer.  I am an ex-Phuketer.  And after decades on the Island I think that I am entitled to my opinion, whether it offends you or not.

And yes, as you rightly point out.  The big risk in Phuket for those using bore water is not the supply running dry.  It is the lethal level of chemical deposits that are concentrated in the water table.  What else would you expect when you are living in a reclaimed mining site that employed third world standards for safety and environmental management.

14 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

I am not a non-Phuketer.  I am an ex-Phuketer.  And after decades on the Island I think that I am entitled to my opinion, whether it offends you or not.

And yes, as you rightly point out.  The big risk in Phuket for those using bore water is not the supply running dry.  It is the lethal level of chemical deposits that are concentrated in the water table.  What else would you expect when you are living in a reclaimed mining site that employed third world standards for safety and environmental management.

But the trucked in water from a bore is fine.  Right?  ????

1 hour ago, Richard Kuklinski said:

But the trucked in water from a bore is fine.  Right?  ????

Depends on the source does it not? Some years back I had to buy in water for my bungalow's.  The initial delivery of water was absolutely putrid.  Unfortunately I was not there when it was delivered.  I had to drain my tanks and then clean them and then reorder more water from another company.  Most of my guests checked out. I called the first contractor back and he lied outright and said that my tanks were already dirty.  

Some people are still surprised why so many people are shot in Phuket.  I'm not. 

8 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Nobody that I know drinks the water from wells and bores.

Used for showers, washing and watering plants only.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 9:04 AM, soalbundy said:

My borewell was almost dry,(Surin Province) could only use it sporadically for 10 minutes at a time. After a week or so suddenly everything went back to normal even though we had had no rain.

It must have been a grey water release from a local treatment plant.  ????

On 3/10/2019 at 8:00 PM, Khaeng Mak said:

I went up the back of my property today to check the well.  Still plenty of water. But jeezus christ there was a king cobra there at least 4 meters long.  Be careful.  Hot weather dries up water supplies but it also brings out the snakes.

I killed one of those buggers in my kitchen , i deftly filled a large cooking pot and heated it up ,then stood on the kitchen sink top and threw it over as it was resting at the rear of the fridge freezer, it shriveled up big time and took another load to finish the job.

Im in Rawai and i have a ring well about 8/9 meters deep. It's dry since 10 days...

Luckily still possible to buy some water to fill the 2K litters tank...

Anyone with a bore in rawai can confirm he doesnt have any problems ? i will probably have to do one since it may be worstvand worst every year to come.

Is it really worth it to make a bore in my situation or it will go dry too eventually ?

4 hours ago, SlyouThai said:

Im in Rawai and i have a ring well about 8/9 meters deep. It's dry since 10 days...

Luckily still possible to buy some water to fill the 2K litters tank...

Anyone with a bore in rawai can confirm he doesnt have any problems ? i will probably have to do one since it may be worstvand worst every year to come.

Is it really worth it to make a bore in my situation or it will go dry too eventually ?

Rawai is not known as a place with plentiful water (unless you are close to the base of a hill). The price of drilling a bore has come way down since I had mine drilled. I'm at a loss on who to ask. I'm sure the drillers would know, but, their answer would probably be self-serving.

I have just my well , it is lower than when I last checked, about 3 Weeks ago , though there does appear to enough water , it has not rained here where I am in Nai Harn for around 6 Weeks , apart from a small shower on Friday. I have been trying to conserve water Best I can by not washing the car and flushing 1 in 3 , but I see a lot of those around me wasting so much water by hosing down the road in front of their houses on a daily basis , they just don’t appear to give a <deleted> if the water runs dry! Hopefully some rain will come soon , there has been the rumble of thunder , but as yet - no rain.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• 2 weeks later...

Archived