BANGKOK 21 March 2019 04:25
SKipling

A visa for an apprentice

Hullo Community!

Greetings!

I am here with a question.

I have received nod from a hotel on the island of Phuket to apprentice for them for a month. The email which has all the makings of an invitation letter is all I have got. They write I should be able to obtain the right visa from the consulate in my country, which is Indonesia. 

Before I embark on this practicality, I wish to know what is the name of the visa I should be angling for. 

My thanks in advance to all helpful replies. 

Sincerely

S Kipling

10 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

You will need paperwork from your employer and with that, you can obtain a B visa. 

You say it's just called a B? I am presuming it stands for business. Where I should have expected an A as in apprentice. 

The email is all I have got from them, and in all likelihood will. 

Your further comment now? 

Kipling

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Apprenticeships are considered to be part of a education program and have to sponsored by a university.  You would be issued a non-ed visa.

Info is here on Jakarta embassy website. http://www.thaiembassyjakarta.com/en/consular-services/non-immigrant-visa-ed/

The hotel is a comfortable and fairly well-run establishment. I had only visited it once when it was being reconstructed.

But it is not an *university*.

They dont run any such programmes there either.  

But I am not baulking at your idea of seeking an education visa if that's how it is done. 

I am loathe to upload the email for your benefit at this point. 

I have half a mind at this point to pass it over if I can find someone in the Community with the goods! 

Kipling

18 minutes ago, SKipling said:

The hotel is a comfortable and fairly well-run establishment. I had only visited it once when it was being reconstructed.

But it is not an *university*.

They dont run any such programmes there either.  

But I am not baulking at your idea of seeking an education visa if that's how it is done. 

I am loathe to upload the email for your benefit at this point. 

I have half a mind at this point to pass it over if I can find someone in the Community with the goods! 

Kipling

Good luck but you will not get better advice than is offered here

9 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Good luck but you will not get better advice than is offered here

At which point threads do get longer than you expected. My German friend, so, only sends me photos from his smartphone. 

I have been 'researching' my question in other topics. It is a shower. 

Regards

Kipling

1 minute ago, SKipling said:

At which point threads do get longer than you expected. My German friend, so, only sends me photos from his smartphone. 

I have been 'researching' my question in other topics. It is a shower. 

Regards

Kipling

You are very mistaken if you believe me to be German! 

I telephoned the establishment and was passed through to a managerial voice, clearly a Scot, who answered it in his room. He did say it after turning off the sport on his television. After some comedy for reassuring me that I was welcome he asked me to call the hotel back at a convenient time tomorrow as they were completely swept off their feet at the moment by a group arrival. 

The email sender was not available. This cannot be a hoax because the Thai owner of the hotel was a real person.  And my business is not out of the ordinary albeit it might new for them, but not for the industry as a whole. 

More DIY. 

Am not rushed. 

Regards

Kipling

I think you use the wrong word, you would not be an "apprentice", but you would be a "trainee".

You need to get a non-immigrant B visa and a work permit, everything else is illegal.

If all you have and all you get is the email you can not do it.

Edited by jackdd

Hullo Community!

I received a callback from the amiable Scotsman. What an unqualifed delight to hear a Scot speak into one's ear- nothing like a telephone to facilitate such pleasure. What happened was that he called up the Thai owner on my behalf, easily inspired by a natural wish to help,  and it was decided between themselves that I should have no problem in visiting Thailand as a tourist and pitching at the hotel as a trainee or as an apprentice. 

This settles my query like I would have wished. I, therefore, consider this topic, as far as I am concerned,  to have reached an end. 

Best regards

S Kipling

Glad you have "solved" your problem. Are you aware that what you plan to do is illegal? Your tourist visa will have an endorsement which reads "Employment Prohibited". 

6 minutes ago, SKipling said:

I should have no problem in visiting Thailand as a tourist and pitching at the hotel as a trainee or as an apprentice. 

Unless immigration police checks the hotel and you, then you would be arrested, put in jail, fined and deported. Probably also banned from Thailand for a while. But good luck 😉

Edited by jackdd

The position is not remunerative. I had waived off even a stipend in my original request. WHICH and a little bit of luck had clinched it for me, on hindsight. This does not merit time in gaol. On the contrary. I am looking forward to having a great time in a large establishment such as theirs, located not a hundred miles from Walking Street,  where, since you mentioned them,  the immigration police do not come poking around to check people's credentials. I hope so. I am not being employed. I am a fully-paid up guest on paper. And I intend to move on to better things after a month. 

Cheers

Kipling

2 minutes ago, SKipling said:

The position is not remunerative.

Doesn't matter, it's still considered work in Thailand, so it's illegal without the correct visa and work permit.

• Thanks 1