800,000 Baht rule problems

I have a FCD bank account with UOB in Bangkok where I deposited 800,000 Baht (25,000 Euro) for Visa purposes long ago.
I never needed this option as my pension was always enough to get a Visa extension.
But with the low exchange value of Euro-Baht, my income would drop below the 65,000 Baht range and I might be forced to use the 800,000 Baht option.

Problem is that Immigration requires that the Bank Statement would be not older than 24 hours.
UOB Bangkok needs at least 3 working days to provide me with a legalised bank statement.

The bank statement need to be made in Bangkok as this is the only UOB branch to provide FCD accounts and I live in N. Ratchasima.
All contact with the bank regarding the FCD account need to be made at the issuing bank and can not be done trough another UOB bank.

My Visa extension is due in May and the time to open a bank account (FCD) at a local bank is not an option anymore.

How to handle this situation?

12 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

shift the money to an account in another bank,

SCB, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn - have several branch offices in Korat.

Although how that impacts on the 12 months seasoning (6 at 800,000 and six at 400,000) is a risk.

• Like 1

Ought not to be a problem if the operation is done on the same day.

But of course, you can ask Korat immigration if it is OK to do it.

Some years ago I did the same in Bangkok, did not make any problems with immigration,

they checked the passbooks and saw that money was shifted from 1 acc to another acc

on the same day.

1.3 million out of an SCB account bringing the balance to well below 800 000.

An hour later 1.3 million deposited in a Bangkok Bank account.

This was on a Sunday, limitations on transfers, so physical withdrawal and

physical deposit.

• Like 1

I can't recall the actual words of the new Imm. rules, so please ignore me if I'm talking nonsense.

If you have the 800,000 Baht in the bank for the required period, surely all you need to do is is to ask the Bank to provide a letter on the day, (200B Bangkok Bank), together with your passbook and relevant photocopies.

Your passbook shows the monies coming in and the source, ie., foreign transfer.

And supported by Bank statements from your bank in your own country.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

is a printout of online banking statement (bangkok bank) that says "international transfer" adequate to show immigration at time of extension?

According to the new rules all one needs is to "provide evidence" of funds in a Thai bank and it SEEMS that the international bit has fallen by the wayside (at least here in Phuket). This more so if using the 65k pm route.

• Like 2

If I were you I would do the combo method... Move 200k to a bank/account that has a regular passbook that a bank will issue a standard same day letter. Then you will only need to show 50k monthly coming into Thailand (which your pension should cover - if you are transferring it into the country)... Just leave the 200k sit there year round with no need to fuss with the 800k seasoning rules and such...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

I can't recall the actual words of the new Imm. rules, so please ignore me if I'm talking nonsense.

If you have the 800,000 Baht in the bank for the required period, surely all you need to do is is to ask the Bank to provide a letter on the day, (200B Bangkok Bank), together with your passbook and relevant photocopies.

Your passbook shows the monies coming in and the source, ie., foreign transfer.

And supported by Bank statements from your bank in your own country.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem is that I don't have a bank book for FCD account.
Nobody gets a bank book at UOB for a FCD devices account.
Only a balance document every month.

A friend of mine who tried a few years ago to use the FCD account at Immigration was told that they don't accept the statement without the bank book.
After my friend went back to immigration with a bank employee and showed him the detailled FCD account on-line, the officer at immigration was willing to accept it after showing a "brown envelop".

At Bangkok Bank, you will get a bank book for the FCD account together with the monthly document.

Why does the banks make it so hard to follow the immigration rules?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

If I were you I would do the combo method... Move 200k to a bank/account that has a regular passbook that a bank will issue a standard same day letter. Then you will only need to show 50k monthly coming into Thailand (which your pension should cover - if you are transferring it into the country)... Just leave the 200k sit there year round with no need to fuss with the 800k seasoning rules and such...

Korat immigration don't accept the "combo" method.
Only 65,000 baht income or 800.000 baht in a Thai bank.

"Discretion of the immigration officers of the interpretation of the law."

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Korat immigration don't accept the "combo" method.
Only 65,000 baht income or 800.000 baht in a Thai bank.

"Discretion of the immigration officers of the interpretation of the law."

I very much doubt this statement to be correct for retirement purposes.

• Like 1

Seems to me “discretion of the IO” is the big catch,why not one defining rule so everyone knows where they stand and what they are required to do. Sounds like different offices differing interpretations of rules. One rule ,one interpretation.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

is a printout of online banking statement (bangkok bank) that says "international transfer" adequate to show immigration at time of extension?

Probably as good as it possibly can be. Maybe keep the confirming SMS messages if you get them!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, Confuscious said:

The bank statement need to be made in Bangkok as this is the only UOB branch to provide FCD accounts and I live in N. Ratchasima.
All contact with the bank regarding the FCD account need to be made at the issuing bank and can not be done trough another UOB bank.

you need a letter from the bank and your passbook

Oh I see your bank don't have passbook for FCD - mine does

change banks

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2019 at 1:14 PM, Confuscious said:

My Visa extension is due in May and the time to open a bank account (FCD) at a local bank is not an option anymore.

How to handle this situation?

1.  take whatever documentation you have to your immigration office and ask someone there for guidance.

2.  unless i've missed an update, the new rules now require 800k 2 months before application for all retirement extensions. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Probably as good as it possibly can be. Maybe keep the confirming SMS messages if you get them!

I doubt TI is going to accept anything you can print off from the internet... They are going to want to see either your bank book or a statement and balance letter issued by the bank with their pretty red stamps and such....

Any 14yo with a computer and a bootlegged version of PhotoShop can make something from the internet say whatever you want...

• Like 1

Ah,can of worms time,know what you mean,and that's how it should be,but,if you take a look at the bottom of some of the official Immigration office literature for any rules,it says something like,'All matters are at the discretion of the local immigration office', leaving it wide open to,Um,interpretation of the local immigration office,I have copped a few,with regards to the bank statement for retirement,the Thai rules were, 'You are allowed up to seven days,per the date, before applying for your one year retirement extension, mine were never more than three days,and sometimes the day before,from experiences,of having to haul myself back to the bank a few times,to get that days date,I now get it the same day,never once had any problems with Chonburi immigration though, Edit,this post was meant to be a reply to a comment.

Edited by eddysmit
Ended up in the wrong place

14 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Seems to me “discretion of the IO” is the big catch,why not one defining rule so everyone knows where they stand and what they are required to do. Sounds like different offices differing interpretations of rules. One rule ,one interpretation.

But then how can they twist things to force more applicants to pay them off via agent-fees?  There are car/house/mistress payments their salaries could never pay for at stake.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:25 AM, asiamaster said:

A FCD (foreign currency account) with 25.000 Euro is not accepted. Sell the Euro and put it on a fixed deposit in a local bank. And get some kind of proof that you already had it in Thailand -albeit in foreign currency.

I understood that fixed deposit isn't acceptable.

• Confused 1