Jump to content
BANGKOK 22 March 2019 00:33
camko

Will I be allowed in with 5 Visa Exemptions / 7.5 consecutive months in Thailand from 2017?

Recommended Posts

My first post however I've been lurking for many years.

 

I'm an American that stayed for almost 7.5 consecutive months in Thailand during 2017 using only visa exemptions by air and extensions. The first extension I actually overstayed by two days which won't help my case. The first flight out of Thailand I spent 3 days in Laos and the second was in Vietnam for 1-2 weeks. However, my last two visa exempts were same day runs to Laos and I was pulled aside by officials during the last one. After some questioning they allowed me to stay for the 30 days if I purchased a flight out of Thailand. One of the officials also told me to get a tourist visa the next time I returned to Thailand. That was in July 2017 and I've been in the US since.

 

My question is will I have anything to worry about if I get a tourist visa for my next trip? I've been reading many stories of people with visas getting denied at immigration and it's starting to worry me since I was already pulled aside once. This trip will be for around a month in April/June and honestly if there's even a slim chance of me getting denied then I'm thinking about just choosing another destination rather than risk losing airfare, accommodations, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t risk flying into Bangkok or Phuket.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody knows for sure what will happen. You haven't been in Thailand for a while so you should not have any problems, but there is always a small chance that the IO is in a bad mood 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you arrive with a visa, have the equivalent of 20,000Baht cash and evidence of pre-arranged accommodation you are unlikely to be refused entry.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't imagine why you would have a problem. You mention 7.5 months and that is 2017. You can stay similar amount of time on a METV.

You could obtain a setv or consider an METV. As mentioned have money on you. USD is fine. Accom print out if you have one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They may have made a notation in their system about the prior warning.

But, if that warning was get a Tourist Visa and not go Visa exempt, and you in fact get the visa, then you will be following their direction I see no problem whatsoever. 

Edited by bkk6060

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Christophers200 said:

If you arrive with a visa, have the equivalent of 20,000Baht cash and evidence of pre-arranged accommodation you are unlikely to be refused entry.

 

Not true anymore. Some people are getting denied with METV.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pravda said:

 

Not true anymore. Some people are getting denied with METV.

Really? How many?  -  How do you explain the millions who enter Thailand without experiencing any difficulty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pravda said:

 

Not true anymore. Some people are getting denied with METV.

Assuming you are a middle aged US citizen you are not going to have any trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Assuming you are a middle aged US citizen you are not going to have any trouble.

What makes you so sure about that? - Have you seen the state of some middle-aged Americans dressed in their loud 'tourist' togs with voices to match?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Christophers200 said:

What makes you so sure about that? - 

Because Americans are favoured here. A simple fact of life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Because Americans are favoured here. A simple fact of life.

Why are they all whining about their Embassy not providing income affidavits? -- If they are so "favored" why is there a problem? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Why are they all whining about their Embassy not providing income affidavits? -- If they are so "favored" why is there a problem? 

I dont see tons of Americans whining. They have it covered. The change in Thai Immigration laws has nothing to do with the fact Americans are treated favourably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont see tons of Americans whining. They have it covered. The change in Thai Immigration laws has nothing to do with the fact Americans are treated favourably.

There is a topic with hundreds of posts from whining Americans who lambast both their Embassy and the Thai authorities - none of them claim to be "favoured"  You should read it. The immigration changes would seem to indicate Americans are not "favoured" and receive no special treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, camko said:

My question is will I have anything to worry about if I get a tourist visa for my next trip? I've been reading many stories of people with visas getting denied at immigration and it's starting to worry me since I was already pulled aside once. This trip will be for around a month in April/June and honestly if there's even a slim chance of me getting denied then I'm thinking about just choosing another destination rather than risk losing airfare, accommodations, etc.

Why not fly to Vietnam and go to Thailand from there?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...