Will I be allowed in with 5 Visa Exemptions / 7.5 consecutive months in Thailand from 2017?

My first post however I've been lurking for many years.

I'm an American that stayed for almost 7.5 consecutive months in Thailand during 2017 using only visa exemptions by air and extensions. The first extension I actually overstayed by two days which won't help my case. The first flight out of Thailand I spent 3 days in Laos and the second was in Vietnam for 1-2 weeks. However, my last two visa exempts were same day runs to Laos and I was pulled aside by officials during the last one. After some questioning they allowed me to stay for the 30 days if I purchased a flight out of Thailand. One of the officials also told me to get a tourist visa the next time I returned to Thailand. That was in July 2017 and I've been in the US since.

My question is will I have anything to worry about if I get a tourist visa for my next trip? I've been reading many stories of people with visas getting denied at immigration and it's starting to worry me since I was already pulled aside once. This trip will be for around a month in April/June and honestly if there's even a slim chance of me getting denied then I'm thinking about just choosing another destination rather than risk losing airfare, accommodations, etc. 

Can't imagine why you would have a problem. You mention 7.5 months and that is 2017. You can stay similar amount of time on a METV.

You could obtain a setv or consider an METV. As mentioned have money on you. USD is fine. Accom print out if you have one. 

They may have made a notation in their system about the prior warning.

But, if that warning was get a Tourist Visa and not go Visa exempt, and you in fact get the visa, then you will be following their direction I see no problem whatsoever. 

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, Christophers200 said:

If you arrive with a visa, have the equivalent of 20,000Baht cash and evidence of pre-arranged accommodation you are unlikely to be refused entry.

Not true anymore. Some people are getting denied with METV.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Why are they all whining about their Embassy not providing income affidavits? -- If they are so "favored" why is there a problem? 

I dont see tons of Americans whining. They have it covered. The change in Thai Immigration laws has nothing to do with the fact Americans are treated favourably.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont see tons of Americans whining. They have it covered. The change in Thai Immigration laws has nothing to do with the fact Americans are treated favourably.

There is a topic with hundreds of posts from whining Americans who lambast both their Embassy and the Thai authorities - none of them claim to be "favoured"  You should read it. The immigration changes would seem to indicate Americans are not "favoured" and receive no special treatment.

4 hours ago, camko said:

My question is will I have anything to worry about if I get a tourist visa for my next trip? I've been reading many stories of people with visas getting denied at immigration and it's starting to worry me since I was already pulled aside once. This trip will be for around a month in April/June and honestly if there's even a slim chance of me getting denied then I'm thinking about just choosing another destination rather than risk losing airfare, accommodations, etc.

Why not fly to Vietnam and go to Thailand from there?

9 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

There is a topic with hundreds of posts from whining Americans who lambast both their Embassy and the Thai authorities - none of them claim to be "favoured"  You should read it. The immigration changes would seem to indicate Americans are not "favoured" and receive no special treatment.

There are a few dozen vociferous posters, the vast majority have it under control. YMMV. I come and go as I please.

2 hours ago, farangx said:

Why would he do that? Already coming from USA its a long trip (time) to Vietnam or Thailand. Second he us USA pp holder needing visa for Vietnam. Then how does he get to Thailand. If by plane then no point Vietnam. If by border, good idea....add another day or two to arrive Los.

He will have zero problem arriving Thailand with a visa.

4 minutes ago, Essecola said:

Fly to kuala lumpur first then take a flight to laos and enter Thailand from there. Wow, getting pretty crazy if want to come to Thailand these days and it isn't your first or second time huh

So true. Or....kl by road to Penang. Train to Los border crossing. Hang glider to nearest airport. Domestic flight to bkk. So add on time from USA to KL ...Umm about 3 days. Have few days soi 4 and fly back USA. Where do I apply.

• Haha 2

Fly into KL, stay in a hotel for a night, rest up, relax, eat etc, then fly over to Laos, one more night in a hotel, then over the border to Thailand. Yes it is a bit of an extra run around. But not so bad if planned well. Malaysia will pose zero threat of turning you around and sending back to USA so it avoids the worry of what was mentioned.

If fly directly into Thailand and you have those five entries on record, there is a great chance you get admitted with no problem if you have a visa but no guarantee at all that you dont get selected for the "we are sending you back because we feel like it" treatment. At least if you enter at a land border you just get sent back across the bridge and not paying to be in a holdng cell waiting for a flight back to the states.

If you fly directly into Bangkok, you do the 16 hours of flying with that worry in the back of your mind. Doesnt exactly seem like being on holiday does it? Having all that worry in your mind the whole time for the supreme privledge of being able to spend your money in Thailand.

He writes "even a slim chance" of denied if flying into Bkk. Well it id indeed slim, but that "chance" is DEFINITELY there. No way at all of knowing if immigration chooses to start something if you fly in to Bangkok.

Edited by Essecola

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
17 hours ago, farangx said:

Why would he do that? Already coming from USA its a long trip (time) to Vietnam or Thailand. Second he us USA pp holder needing visa for Vietnam. Then how does he get to Thailand. If by plane then no point Vietnam. If by border, good idea....add another day or two to arrive Los.

He will have zero problem arriving Thailand with a visa.

He said .... "and honestly if there's even a slim chance of me getting denied then I'm thinking about just choosing another destination rather than risk losing airfare, accommodations, etc."

Edited by farangx
post was deleted
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, farangx said:

He said .... "and honestly if there's even a slim chance of me getting denied then I'm thinking about just choosing another destination rather than risk losing airfare, accommodations, etc."

Fair point and upon me re-reading op, he doesn't sound that overfussed about alternative to Thailand. Vietnam is a great joint.

So good suggestion. He could get his letter of approval online...easy.

Only has a month but once in Vietnam could consider a visa exempt entry to los for week or so. A return ticket say Saigon to bkk cheap. 

On 2/17/2019 at 3:20 PM, DrJack54 said:

Can't imagine why you would have a problem. You mention 7.5 months and that is 2017. You can stay similar amount of time on a METV.

You could obtain a setv or consider an METV. As mentioned have money on you. USD is fine. Accom print out if you have one. 

Some at Immigration do not approve of using METVs as they were designed to allow.  They think "real tourists" only stay a couple weeks, according to remarks to some being interrogated.  Rather than work out their issues with those who wrote the laws/rules for Tourist Visas, they target innocent people who are obeying the law.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:48 PM, Christophers200 said:

Really? How many?  -  How do you explain the millions who enter Thailand without experiencing any difficulty?

Millions are not staying as long or as frequently.  They even target older Snowbirds staying only 5 or 6 mo now, based on "last year, 5-6 mo ago, you stayed 5-6 mo...."  Why don't you go to an agent and pay us off our tribute money?

On 2/17/2019 at 6:11 PM, Nyezhov said:

How do I call in that "American Privilege," which did exactly no good at all, when trying to get an extension based upon marriage with every requirement met?  Also interrogated before, as a Tourist, when leaving the country at Poipet/Aranya. 

And, no, many Americans are not "covered" with regard to Thailand completely changing what is needed for existing retirees to stay here, by demanding the impossible from our embassy.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:38 PM, Essecola said:

Fly to kuala lumpur first then take a flight to laos and enter Thailand from there. Wow, getting pretty crazy if want to come to Thailand these days and it isn't your first or second time huh

If you are already in KL, fly to Penang and take the train across at Pedang Besar - or just take the train all the way up from KL.  Time it right, and catch a Thai connecting train to Hat Yai - or take a bus or taxi from Pedang Besar to the Hat Yai Airport.  Fly domestic from there. 

No reason at all to fly from KL to Laos to enter.  The only lawless entry points that victimize law-abiding visitors, are some airports (including both in Bangkok) and the Poipet/Aranya border-crossing.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:59 PM, Nyezhov said:

Because Americans are favoured here. A simple fact of life.

I don't know if Americans are favoured here (compared to people from other wealthy countries), but if they are this would be somehow strange. The odds of a native English speaker working as an English teacher, while being in Thailand on a tourist visa, are way higher than those of a person whose mother tongue isn't English. Imho it would be reasonable if an IO would be more suspicious towards the native English speaker.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 5:48 PM, Christophers200 said:

Really? How many?  -  How do you explain the millions who enter Thailand without experiencing any difficulty?

How do you explain millions who enter Thailand on visa exempt entries?

Frankly, I don't understand your post. I said some. There are FB posts about it.

If an Immigration Officer suspects you are working here or have too many entries, you may get denied even on METV. 

Fact.

you say you haven't entered since 2017. there is no reason for you to have any problems entering in 2019 whether you use METV, visa exempt or whether americans are favoured more than other nationalities?? 

don't bother flying to neighbouring countries due to worry about being denied entry due to your travel history, you'll be wasting your time and money

• Like 2