NEW central in Patong

phuketrichard

Not sure how much research they did BUT>>>>what a waste of $$$$
Parking for maybe 75 cars, 1st floor food court, (all prices higher than anywhere on the island) Pizza company & a expensive thai restaurant, (phat thai 199 baht) a central supermarket, where most items are at least 50 % higher than the central supermarket in Phuket town.
The farang deli place, ( same as the new central in Phuket) is there, prices 50-75% higher than Phuket town.

2, 3, 4th floor Central dept store ONLY, no other shops

20 minutes free parking than went back across to JC to eat and shop at Big C

Kind of lending credence to my posts on another thread Richard.   Anywhere on the west coast is tourist centric, with prices being higher through the perception of having a captive audience/clientele, higher rents etc, and where the service levels are less.

19 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I am alsways wondering about comments like those from Richard.

Do these posters really believe that the Central group doesn't know what it is doing and will not be making money out of their ventures?

Agreed.   The majority of its customer base will not have cars or motorbikes so parking is of no consequence, and as with 7/11 and Family Mart etc, will believe that pricing will be equitable across all its outlets.   

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

I am alsways wondering about comments like those from Richard.

Do these posters really believe that the Central group doesn't know what it is doing and will not be making money out of their ventures?

not so sure, go take a look,  The food court is not that big and surely thats the clientele they are aiming for, plus having a 3 story Central dept store across from Junk Ceylon seems not the best idea to me...

as to prices, there much less in JC for eating and shopping at Big C, ( same price at all Big C's)

and why are the prices at the central supermarket so much higher than Central in Phuket, (beside the rents must be huge at that location)

will believe that pricing will be equitable across all its outlets.   

LOL< another reason why people write  Phuket is expensive!

Judging by comments in this and the other thread, it would seem that this Central is aiming mainly for foot traffic, i.e. the Patong tourist, and perhaps some people walking across the road from Jungceylon. 

It's probably situated in an area with some of the most expensive land in Phuket, hence the reason for the expensive prices, in much the same way that fast food outlets in Jungceylon are more expensive than their counterparts in town.

Central know what they're doing.

28 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Judging by comments in this and the other thread, it would seem that this Central is aiming mainly for foot traffic, i.e. the Patong tourist, and perhaps some people walking across the road from Jungceylon. 

It's probably situated in an area with some of the most expensive land in Phuket, hence the reason for the expensive prices, in much the same way that fast food outlets in Jungceylon are more expensive than their counterparts in town.

Central know what they're doing.

Can't completely agree with Phuketrichard's comments as I thought the food prices in the basement area to be very reasonable vs quality/value for money, and not really aimed at the el-cheapo market but for those seeking an up-market destination. 

And surely aimed at foot traffic as well. All the same it is another alternative and that should stimulate competition, BUT my days of paying nearly 4000 baht for a bottle of Calon Segur are long gone!!

Time will tell with this new venture.

It holds no shine for me and I will probably never step in the place- its not geared towards 'locals' like me anyway.  I can't even remember the last time I was in the old Central Festival, let alone its counterpart across the street either. the last time I was even in JC was at least 6-8 months ago. Just driving past the other day traffic was chaos outside- parked tuk tuks don't help the issue and pedestrians were just crossing the street willy-nilly.

I understand they are going to be constructing ANOTHER Central just next to boat Avenue in Cherng Talay-  yet another traffic bottleneck that will cause delays. As pointed out they are laying faith in their market projections but are geared towards tourists as opposed to 'locals'.

Strangely enough when I am up in Pattaya I do use the one up there but I guess I am in tourist mode and the prices do not seem inflated, as they are in Phuket.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 3:50 PM, Psimbo said:

It holds no shine for me and I will probably never step in the place- its not geared towards 'locals' like me anyway.  I can't even remember the last time I was in the old Central Festival, let alone its counterpart across the street either. the last time I was even in JC was at least 6-8 months ago. Just driving past the other day traffic was chaos outside- parked tuk tuks don't help the issue and pedestrians were just crossing the street willy-nilly.

I understand they are going to be constructing ANOTHER Central just next to boat Avenue in Cherng Talay-  yet another traffic bottleneck that will cause delays. As pointed out they are laying faith in their market projections but are geared towards tourists as opposed to 'locals'.

Strangely enough when I am up in Pattaya I do use the one up there but I guess I am in tourist mode and the prices do not seem inflated, as they are in Phuket.

In my opinion, their market projections are built on a house of cards.  Maybe thir idea is build it and the people will come (back).   ????

One has to wonder how they make enough money at Central Patong, Central store at Festival, and the Robinson Jungceylon to cover the cost of salaries and electricity?

Most of the times i have been there, all three department stores have had more staff just hanging around than they had actual customers.

6 minutes ago, eezergood said:

is the supermarket really charging 50% over what they charge in town? im not so sure about that..........

In the bakery and beer section no. Exactly same price like at Tops in old Central in Town.

7 minutes ago, eezergood said:

I certainly saw no difference in the few items i purchased

Btw the quality whisky selection in Patong is the best on hkt and the price are not too over. Bought on my last trip in duty free a Glenlivet 21. Not easy to get here but they have it and 'only' 2k more expensive.

line_1551583842227.jpg

Archived