New Visa rules and Thai income

For the millionth time.....They are not trying to good and are misguided and just need help to understand the situation better.....Nope....All the visa changes are exactly as they want them......The sooner this sinks in the better.....

New Visa Rules.

A retirement visa requires you to deposit 65,000 Baht monthly into a Thai bank account. You may spend down that total amount each month but you must be able to show that a deposit is made each month for the 12-month period leading up to the time you apply for your yearly Thai retirement visa renewal. 
Or you can make a non-interest bearing 800,000 Baht ($25,000 U.S.)deposit if you reside here alone or 400,000 Baht for those married to a Thai citizen. Three months prior to renewal, the full amount of 800,000 must clearly be on deposit in a bank and you must present the bank document to immigration for your visa renewal. This means that you will not be required to show that you have retirement income of 65,000 Baht each month. 
Assuming there are 500,000 foreign retirees here, then they will be lending the country $12.5 billion each year, interest free, and Thai banks will lend this money out for interest income or profit. Nice work, Thailand!

I got this in my email . Is it a new rule that the 800K should be in a savings account and not in a fixed deposit account like 6 to 9 months Etc

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, Ravi98008 said:

New Visa Rules.

A retirement visa requires you to deposit 65,000 Baht monthly into a Thai bank account. You may spend down that total amount each month but you must be able to show that a deposit is made each month for the 12-month period leading up to the time you apply for your yearly Thai retirement visa renewal. 
Or you can make a non-interest bearing 800,000 Baht ($25,000 U.S.)deposit if you reside here alone or 400,000 Baht for those married to a Thai citizen. Three months prior to renewal, the full amount of 800,000 must clearly be on deposit in a bank and you must present the bank document to immigration for your visa renewal. This means that you will not be required to show that you have retirement income of 65,000 Baht each month. 
Assuming there are 500,000 foreign retirees here, then they will be lending the country $12.5 billion each year, interest free, and Thai banks will lend this money out for interest income or profit. Nice work, Thailand!

I got this in my email . Is it a new rule that the 800K should be in a savings account and not in a fixed deposit account like 6 to 9 months Etc

"I got this email".... From who??

• Like 1

Post removed.

18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

I tried but my post was removed by the Moderator of the forum.  It was a 60 plus California PhD professor now retired and living in CM since a long long time. Hope I am not breaking the forum rules this time. 

If I did then please remove my post again and I will stand corrected

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Even a Savings account returns a 0.5% interest rate.

The only non interest account I know, is when I deposit it in the wife's account.  ????

No return of any kind in my case, interest or capital ????

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Even a Savings account returns a 0.5% interest rate.

The only non interest account I know, is when I deposit it in the wife's account.  ????

You are obviously with the wrong bank. I get 1.3% from my savings A/C

I understand that the main reason for this poorly planned requirement concerning income is to make sure foreigners have sufficient funds to cover costs in case of death, injury and sickness. The Catch 22 is that most retirees can't get health insurance because of their age. Surely the government, in conjunction with Thai insurance providers, could come up with an affordable plan to cover us. In this case it would be sufficient for us to just have a monthly income of 40,000B (app. normal pension) plus verifiable insurance cover, either from a foreign insurance company or through the Thai government sponsored plan. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, indepth said:

Whats all the threads about 800000 and 65000, have i missed something?

Seriously!

Have you been having to much fun on the beach building sand castles with your bucket and spade.

Try reading the news occasionally.

• Haha 2

Finished the rant ?

The rule changes are designed to stop "borrowing" the money to obtain the visa & then giving it back.......which is against the law as you state that it is yours.Sounds reasonable to me.

& yes, you are right they don't care if you stay or go & why should they ?

• Like 1

It's not that difficult to stay in Thailand, 400k baht in bank deposit if married to a Thai, or 800k baht in bank deposit if over 50 years old and retired, and if business or work it's possible to get extension based on that showing a reasonable income, same-same like in Denmark where OP and myself originates from.

It is one's own decision to follow a dream and move out from one's home country to live permanently somewhere else, and that dream might often require a bit of planning, and savings to fulfill...????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indepth said:

Whats all the threads about 800000 and 65000, have i missed something?

It's just immigrations latest hurdle for one year visas.  Immigration leaders are trying to get expats to either leave or exploit those who stay.  You didn't miss anything. ????  

• Like 1