New Visa rules and Thai income

17 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It's not that difficult to stay in Thailand, 400k baht in bank deposit if married to a Thai, or 800k baht in bank deposit if over 50 years old and retired, and if business or work it's possible to get extension based on that showing a reasonable income, same-same like in Denmark where OP and myself originates from.

It is one's own decision to follow a dream and move out from one's home country to live permanently somewhere else, and that dream might often require a bit of planning, and savings to fulfill...????

This dream is starting to look like a bad dream ????

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

It's just immigrations latest hurdle for one year visas.  Immigration leaders are trying to get expats to either leave or exploit those who stay.  You didn't miss anything. ????  

How can they be exploited by following the rules that have been in place all along? The only expats that will leave are the ones that cant meet the financial requirements as laid down by law, many years ago. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JingjoDave said:

I could be wrong but the requirements have been in place for several years. The latest "adjustments" by Thai immigration is merely a response to the cunning way-arounds created by unwanted farangs. AGAIN I could be wrong ????

The requirement to keep a minimum of 400k for the full year and 800k for 3 months after application are recent changes. Even the Embassy letter is a more recent change than 'all along'.....

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

I really don't see it that way. The requirement stays the same in amount , the way-around of borrowing the money and then paying it back ( Not true compliance) is being shut. So the honest people remain unaffected ,, the loan sharks may need to look for a new business and the farangs in breach of the true focus of the law will need to move out. Seems fair and good to me.  

• Like 1

I could be wrong but the requirements have been in place for several years. The latest "adjustments" by Thai immigration is merely a response to the cunning way-arounds created by unwanted farangs. AGAIN I could be wrong [emoji846]

You are wrong.

Previously, you had to have 800,000 baht seasoned for 3 months prior to application for extension. Upon being granted the extension, you are allowed to drawdown as much as you like for the next nine months before topping it up again for seasoning purposes. The new rules only allow you to drawdown after a further period of 3 months and even then, only 400,000 baht.

This is causing some problems for some posters

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

you are allowed to drawdown as much as you like for the next nine months before topping it up again for seasoning purposes.

So you need money to top it up;

so instead to keep that money,or to spare it, somewhere, why not use it for your monthly expenditure.

No need to drawdown and as such no topping.

So you need money to top it up;

so instead to keep that money,or to spare it, somewhere, why not use it for your monthly expenditure.

No need to drawdown and as such no topping.

Some of us can afford to do that but some can’t and some aren’t willing to. It’s the middle group that’s having problems at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, natway09 said:

Finished the rant ?

The rule changes are designed to stop "borrowing" the money to obtain the visa & then giving it back.......which is against the law as you state that it is yours.Sounds reasonable to me.

& yes, you are right they don't care if you stay or go & why should they ?

They should care for otherwise they are going to lose a huge amount of unearned foreign currency

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/18/2019 at 3:50 PM, JingjoDave said:

I really don't see it that way. The requirement stays the same in amount , the way-around of borrowing the money and then paying it back ( Not true compliance) is being shut. So the honest people remain unaffected ,, the loan sharks may need to look for a new business and the farangs in breach of the true focus of the law will need to move out. Seems fair and good to me.  

The loan sharks can simply become visa-agent partners with immigration, pay the cut demanded of immigration, and then only need to loan the money for a few hours to get a bank-statement showing the balance. 

I really don't see how loan-sharks could operate competitively vs "1 day loan" agents, if making 3-mo loans to cover 3 mo seasoning - except in areas where agents cost 25K Baht or more.  But, the new rules do appear to be designed to force sharks in those areas to watch their former customers move to immigration's agent-partners. 

Seasoning is waived for agents, regardless, so no change in how they can operate - unless immigration starts demanding 90-day "check ins" after application for showing a maintained bank-balance, which would generate even more agent-partner revenue.