800.000 - Can it be in a fixed deposit account?

21 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Yes it can be in fixed deposit account, but make sure it is one here you can withdraw with loss of interest.  I always do this. It saves getting mixed up with daily money.

..according to the new rule half of it will be fixed.

7 minutes ago, tandor said:

..according to the new rule half of it will be fixed.

All of it for either 5 (2+3_ or 6 )3+3) months depending on who you ask. Half of it thereafter.

More trouble than it is worth to withdraw the half you can IMO (barring an unexpected cash crunch)  as you'd just need to replenish it 6 months later.

I plan to just put the 800K in a fixed deposit and leave it there, Will save on fund transfers as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From: Godfree at Thailand Retirement Helpers <removed email address) 

"A retirement visa requires you to deposit 65,000 Baht monthly into a Thai bank account. You may spend down that total amount each month but you must be able to show that a deposit is made each month for the 12-month period leading up to the time you apply for your yearly Thai retirement visa renewal. 
Or you can make a non-interest bearing 800,000 Baht ($25,000 U.S.) deposit if you reside here alone or 400,000 Baht for those married to a Thai citizen. Three months prior to renewal, the full amount of 800,000 must clearly be on deposit in a bank and you must present the bank document to immigration for your visa renewal. This means that you will not be required to show that you have retirement income of 65,000 Baht each month. 
Assuming there are 500,000 foreign retirees here, then they will be lending the country $12.5 billion each year, interest free, and Thai banks will lend this money out for interest income or profit. Nice work, Thailand! "

Seems fairly emphatic it's non interest bearing accounts!

Edited by ubonjoe
removed email address (forum rule)

10 hours ago, Salamat1 said:

From: Godfree at Thailand Retirement Helpers <removed> Rules.

"A retirement visa requires you to deposit 65,000 Baht monthly into a Thai bank account. You may spend down that total amount each month but you must be able to show that a deposit is made each month for the 12-month period leading up to the time you apply for your yearly Thai retirement visa renewal. 
Or you can make a non-interest bearing 800,000 Baht ($25,000 U.S.) deposit if you reside here alone or 400,000 Baht for those married to a Thai citizen. Three months prior to renewal, the full amount of 800,000 must clearly be on deposit in a bank and you must present the bank document to immigration for your visa renewal. This means that you will not be required to show that you have retirement income of 65,000 Baht each month. 
Assuming there are 500,000 foreign retirees here, then they will be lending the country $12.5 billion each year, interest free, and Thai banks will lend this money out for interest income or profit. Nice work, Thailand! "

First of all, I wouldn’t take an NGO’s (or are they an agent) word as gospel as nowhere in any of the police orders does it say that the funds have to be in a non bearing interest account. Even savings accounts are interest bearing, albeit at a low rate.

Secondly, there are just slightly over 80,000 retirees in Thailand and only a certain percentage of them are using the cash in bank method.

You might want to consider the knowledge of the agent that you might want to use

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

10 hours ago, samtam said:

Sorry, but a bit confused here. How does your fixed deposit get processed through a "bank book"?

Correct ,  in my neck of the woods , you need to have a instant access account, accident etc . 

Absolute uncertainty  @ immi, is the norm .    This is Thailand ,  your new home land .. Welcome.

Edited by elliss

9 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Bangkok Bank (for example) doesn't require a work permit:
https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Fixed-Deposit-Account

Hi ......is there a minimum amount deposit for fixed term account? 

Thinking put 70-80k a month until over let’s say 900,000.

Would want in my name only and in the will when it’s my time to go to the other side and it would then go to wife. 

This keeps out any chance of sticky fingers.....

13 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Hi ......is there a minimum amount deposit for fixed term account? 

Thinking put 70-80k a month until over let’s say 900,000.

Would want in my name only and in the will when it’s my time to go to the other side and it would then go to wife. 

This keeps out any chance of sticky fingers.....

Wait for 3 months to accumulate (210k) deposit in 9 month fixed account... wait 3 more months to accumulate (210k) deposit in a 6 month fixed account... wait 3 more months to accumulate (210k) deposit in a 3 month fixed account... wait 3 more months to accumulate (210k) and the three prior fixed accounts mature at the same time... Them you can roll them all up (840k plus’s interest) into one fixed term of whatever time period you like... say 24-36 months...

Edited by sfokevin

7 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I’ve looked through this whole thread as well as others but can’t see definitively If Chiang Mai accepts fixed deposits. Does anyone know for sure?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, for sure. Done that over the last 10 years.

• Like 1

Here in CNX I've been using the B800,000 fixed deposit at Bangkok Bank for some 10 years or so.

However for the last 2 years I been using a Foreign Currency Fixed Deposit, still with Bangkok Bank, earning 2.5% interest.

Never been a problem either way ???? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CM4Me said:

Foreign Currency Fixed Deposit, still with Bangkok Bank, earning 2.5% interest.

How does one get a 2.5% return on such accounts?

What currency?

Fixed deposits - What terms (in months/years)?

Does BK Bank post these rates somewhere?

10 hours ago, Salamat1 said:

From: Godfree at Thailand Retirement Helpers <removed> Rules.

I bought a Sony smart TV and an inverter fridge with my last interest payout from a fixed deposit...and got my fourth extension a few months ago...not sure what country these people are talking about.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Salamat1 said:

..sounds like 'extortion' to me.

14 hours ago, Salamat1 said:

What a dilemma!  Who am I going to believe?  My personal experience getting four retirement extensions with interest-bearing accounts (fixed deposit and regular savings accounts) in Thai banks at Phuket Immigration or Godfree?  ???? 

• Like 2

I've used this method for about 10 years, the past three years I've had to take "bank statements" as well (did my extension last year in Pattaya and went through immigration no problem) back in Nong Khai again and had to take bank statements again. (Kasi bank)

On 2/19/2019 at 1:04 AM, sfokevin said:

How does one get a 2.5% return on such accounts?

What currency?

Fixed deposits - What terms (in months/years)?

Does BK Bank post these rates somewhere?

As I said in my post the 'Fixed Deposit is a Foreign Currency Account'

As I understand each of the main international foreign currencies can be on different rates. In my case I have AUD.

see https://www.bangkokbank.com/-/media/Files/Personal/Other-Services/View-Rates/Foreign-Currency-Deposit-Interest-Rates/2016/02FCD_1604081.ashx?la=en&hash=B3B60AE40EE292502C8678E0F493A32C0142AE09

unfortunately its only in Thai

• Like 1