Health Insurance for Thai BF (34)

colmx

Hi All

My Thai BF is 34 and is keen to get health insurance in place following the recent hospitalization and subsequent death of his father.

For various reasons he has never been part of the Social Security System and does not currently work.

He comes from Buriram, but lives in Bang Na and is not registered in any hospital for the 30B scheme.

His "friend" that works in Insurance is trying to advise him to go with AIA, and says that he should take out Life assurance first and then take out Health insurance later. My understanding is that the Life assurance means that his mother will get a lump sum if something happens him.

Can't judge if this advice is correct? I guess that he should have both?

I have no worries about BFs honesty, but do worry about the honesty of those that may be advising him!

After witnessing the Govt hospitals first hand we would like to have access to private hospitals, Interested to hear what other Farang may have in place for their Thai Bf/GFs? And what kind of premiums they pay per year for a scheme with both inpatient and outpatient cover

Thanks in Advance!

Update:

BF has just clarified that he does have the 30B scheme in his local Govt hospital in Buriram, but there is no suitable hospital to transfer this to where he lives in Bang Na.... All the people around him have insurance through their work

He has also said that the friend suggests going life assurance first as he will get better discounts on health insurance after that

He would have to transfer his home registration to Bang Na to have a local hospital.  Suspect that not being done is reason no hospital available.  Not unusual for Thai to fail to change registration but should be done if move is permanent.  Life insurance would not even consider unless to pay for funeral expense (but that is my personal option) as know it is a money maker for sales people.  Banks also try to push such onto customers.  From what I have read outpatient cover is way too expensive to be justified here - and even inpatient would be very unusual for someone unemployed.  The free/30 baht system really is quite good and serves most people well.

Archived