Healthy Prison Route giving inmates a path back to society

webfact

Healthy Prison Route giving inmates a path back to society

By THE NATION

fe5ec808fccc1448ac4f28f3c98ef73b.jpeg

File photo

AT THE AGE of 21, university student Peung found her life turned upside down after taking part-time jobs a few years ago.

“My friend recommended these jobs, saying that I would be paid between Bt1,000 and Bt2,000 a day,” says Peung (not her real name) from Ubon Ratchathani Prison. 

Surprised but tempted by the good pay, she agreed to take parcels to a post office for delivery. Less than a month later, while on her fourth assignment, she was arrested and charged with drug trafficking. 

“Inside the beautiful parcels was not soap [as I was told] but bars of marijuana,” Peung explains, trying to laugh off her past mistake but with tears welling in her eyes. 

With eight kilos of marijuana found in her possession, she was sentenced to nine years in jail. The court agreed to halve her term because of her confession. She appealed and the penalty was reduced further to four years. 

She has now been behind bars for seven months, with a long time still to go.

But thanks to the Healthy Prison Route at the Ubon jail, Peung has managed to cling on to her optimism and tried her best to learn lessons from her past. 

“Before going to bed, I reflect on what I have done. Eventually I saw clearly that I landed up in jail because I didn’t listen to my mum and wasn’t happy with what I had.” 

Peung admits her family was not financially poor and, even after her father’s death, she still received an allowance to cover her daily expenses and education. 

“But I overspent. I wanted to buy fitness courses to lose weight. I wanted new clothes to dress up,” she says. 

When she asked for more money, her mother – a teacher – complained. Fed up with nagging, Peung thought it would be a good idea to take part-time jobs like some of her friends, who seemed to enjoy a good income. 

“Had I learned to suppress my unreasonable desires and listened to my mum, I would still be sleeping in my air-conditioned bedroom at home,” she says. 

Peung has a straightforward message for other youngsters like her: never ignore the good wishes and guidance of your parents. 

Like many of her fellow inmates, Peung says she had learnt a lesson and is determined to stay on the right side of the law. 

“After completing my time in jail, I hope I get the opportunities to return to a normal life. I want to sell vintage clothes and perhaps teach yoga.” 

Every day, Peung practises yoga behind bars and believes her skills will have developed by the time she walks out a free woman. 

“Yoga is good for both physical health and for the mind,” she says. “Yoga has given me a new life. I am calmer, more patient and more optimistic.” 

The Healthy Prison Route concept, which focuses on building a caring community at correctional facilities, has now been implemented at the Ratchaburi, Udon Thani and Ubon Ratchathani prisons. 

The concept seeks to ensure inmates enjoy physical and emotional well-being, and can return to the society as “quality citizens”. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30364293

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-18

I understand Thailand isn't famous for its academic brilliance, but if a uni student can't smell something fishy about being offered a thousand for dropping a parcel off, all hope is lost.

Pardon the drugs charges but give her four years for trying the "I didn't know what is in the packages" excuse.

There's actually very little detail in the article regarding what the Healthy Prison Route entails.

I am fairly confident that having the lights on 24 hours a day in the cells as is the policy in Thai prisons is unhealthy. That is just one example. Does it include regular TB testing, another chronic health problem in Thai jails? What about nutrition? Vocational training? The list goes on.

All we get in the article is that there may be yoga instruction and as always with these policy announcements, an unexplained slogan.

48 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

There's actually very little detail in the article regarding what the Healthy Prison Route entails.

I am fairly confident that having the lights on 24 hours a day in the cells as is the policy in Thai prisons is unhealthy. That is just one example. Does it include regular TB testing, another chronic health problem in Thai jails? What about nutrition? Vocational training? The list goes on.

All we get in the article is that there may be yoga instruction and as always with these policy announcements, an unexplained slogan.

I believe vocational training does exist. Wasn't it announced last year that inmates would learn how to fabricate handguns with the co-operation of weapons manufacturers.  

Is the Healthy Prison Route addressing the problems of overcrowding, poor sanitation, poor diet, lack of medical facilities, etc. etc. 

Please do not get me wrong, I am one of the last people who think a prison term should be a walk in the park with soft conditions one sees in the west. It is a punishment for crimes against society. However I am not inconizant of the need for a little self respect and hope needed by inmates before they can even begin on a path to rehabilitation.

Archived