Albon calls for F1 to follow MotoGP to Thailand

webfact

Albon calls for F1 to follow MotoGP to Thailand

by Bobby Vincent

v2_large_fb2d2afbdfc9c600804187dc43e8f284ed10b46b.jpg

Toro Rosso driver Alexander Albon has called for Formula 1 to follow MotoGP to his native Thailand for a race

Formula 1 have never had a race in Thailand - but MotoGP last year raced in the country at the new-build Chang International Circuit.

Albon, who is preparing for his rookie season in F1, was born in Britain, but will race under the Thai flag. He becomes just the second driver to compete in F1 from Thailand after Prince Bira, who raced in 19 grands prix in the '50s.

"It's a big deal for me to be a Thai driver," Albon told the press, as quoted by Motorsport Week. "It's been a long time since there's been a Thai in Formula 1 and I'm just hoping to do everyone proud.

Full story: https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/31105/albon-calls-for-f1-to-follow-motogp-to-thailand.html

-- GP Blog News 2019-02-18

16 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Will never happen.

The logistics are just to big for Thailand to cope with. Could cope with a smaller category of car racing maybe. The track isnt built for big fast cars

I doubt the track is the problem, the problem is where it is and the lack of facilities (hotels etc) in the area. A fast rail link could be a solution but they are as rare as rocking horse shit...

38 minutes ago, alant said:

I doubt the track is the problem, the problem is where it is and the lack of facilities (hotels etc) in the area. A fast rail link could be a solution but they are as rare as rocking horse shit...

Second this even for MotoGp there are insufficient hotel rooms. Tickets sale organization a joke and a mess.

Only plus for the MotoGP is that beer is cheap.

Fast rail link won't help. even for MotoGp there are flights from Bangkok to Buriram in the morning and flights back out in the evening with people staying the nights in Bangkok.

Albon can have his 15mins of media but it isn't going to happen.

Even Race Of champions didn't come back?

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Second this even for MotoGp there are insufficient hotel rooms. Tickets sale organization a joke and a mess.

Only plus for the MotoGP is that beer is cheap.

Fast rail link won't help. even for MotoGp there are flights from Bangkok to Buriram in the morning and flights back out in the evening with people staying the nights in Bangkok.

Albon can have his 15mins of media but it isn't going to happen.

Even Race Of champions didn't come back?

IIRC, the second Race of Champions was a late cancellation after promises about the unfinished stadium were broken. The FIA won't be keen for F1, their showpiece, to visit here anytime soon.    

In my 3+ decades in and out of Thailand and working all over the world, I've found Thais to excel at being totally disorganized and unable to plan properly. They really are among the very best at it. 

This is a country where they still make long haul passengers of their national flag carrier wait for busses on scorching tarmac because they can't manage to pull into a proper gate 

From discussing this with a few race drivers, even though it already has FIA approvals, it seems that the big stumbling block for the Burriram circuit is the location and a lack of a major trauma unit within a short distance.

1 hour ago, tokachinter said:

IIRC, the second Race of Champions was a late cancellation after promises about the unfinished stadium were broken. The FIA won't be keen for F1, their showpiece, to visit here anytime soon.    

Incorrect.  The stadium has been there for years and had hosted the event previously.  It was cancelled due to the political unrest / street violence which was quite extreme at the time.

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Incorrect.  The stadium has been there for years and had hosted the event previously.  It was cancelled due to the political unrest / street violence which was quite extreme at the time.

Both right. Unrest was a major concern, but also track modifications, requested by the FIA, had not been carried out.

This will never happen for several reasons, but one is the major concern: the missing infrastructure!

There are not enough hotels in the area, there is no large hospital, that is equipped to treat severe trauma, an F1- race is not just "the race": there are training-sessions and qualifying and a bunch of activities around it...it would be a logistic nightmare and - I am sorry to say- Thailand is in no way capable of handling this!

Even IF the race track in Buriram would fit all the FIA rules and regulations!

This is as much a pipe-dream as hosting the football world cup!

Archived