Don't live in Thailand anymore - Can I renew Thai licence on holiday?

mattk1

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered before (I'm writing this on my phone). Basically I would just like to know if I can renew my Thai driving licence when I'm on holiday there in June as by then it will have expired (May 3rd). I will be driving whilst I'm there so would like to have a valid Thai licence if possible but I'm unsure if I can renew with no valid visa in my passport. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks and have a good day ????

You shouldn't have a problem due to the expiry date being passed by a few days. What you may have problems with (should you be asked) is proving your residency.

Normally applicants are asked for either a work permit or a certificate of residence which is obtained from immigration. Immigration will not normally issue a certificate if you have not been in Thailand over 90 days and you have not completed a 90 day report.

As you know things can vary a lot, so you may be ok.

4 hours ago, mattk1 said:

would like to have a valid Thai licence if possible but I'm unsure if I can renew with no valid visa in my passport. Can anyone confirm this?

How to get a Thai DL at top Thai motor forum doesn't say about what visa you need to renew you Thai DL and tourist visa might not cut it.

You can but ask at a DLT office, as said you need proof of address, a medical cert and passport.

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

You shouldn't have a problem due to the expiry date being passed by a few days. What you may have problems with (should you be asked) is proving your residency.

Normally applicants are asked for either a work permit or a certificate of residence which is obtained from immigration. Immigration will not normally issue a certificate if you have not been in Thailand over 90 days and you have completed a 90 day report.

As you know things can vary a lot, so you may be ok.

Some immigration offices don't issue CoR to tourists, others don't.

If the OP is able to obtain a CoR, DL renewal will be for 2 years.

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

How to get a Thai DL at top Thai motor forum doesn't say about what visa you need to renew you Thai DL and tourist visa might not cut it.

You can but ask at a DLT office, as said you need proof of address, a medical cert and passport.

I obtained my first D/L with a 60 day tourist visa also brought my first car. But that was some time ago when visa's weren't being given out liberally. The law seems to have now changed with bits added. Like doctors letter. The main problem seems to me to be that he will need to get a certificate of residence. My local one didn't even want to accept my Yellow book for that. Did once I put them right. Whatever he wont be able to get one so I suspect that the answer will be No. Of cause I could be wrong, TIT.

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

My local one didn't even want to accept my Yellow book for that.

Did once I put them right.

Yes the DLT staff probably thought it was fake.

It would easier if OP got a 60 day visa in passport instead of just the 30 day arrival stamp maybe.

If he is able to get proof and use the address he used for his Thai DL before he could be OK.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes the DLT staff probably thought it was fake.

It would easier if OP got a 60 day visa in passport instead of just the 30 day arrival stamp maybe.

If he is able to get proof and use the address he used for his Thai DL before he could be OK.

Yes I got a fake one???. The stupid cow said yellow book no guarantee of address. Told her to go check. She didn't come back boss did and said that she was new or some such load of crap. 

Depending on how he got his last proof of address he might be able to get one. That's if he is still going to stay in that place. Better to get and international D/Permit. Problem solved with a lot less aggro.

3 minutes ago, andy said:

I have to renew again later this year and I plan to use the same method.  Hopefully the US embassy is still issuing the address verification letter.

You had better check that out, Embassies seem not to want to do much of anything these day.

Hi everyone and thanks for all your replies ????

I think I will just get an IDP and take that with me but I'll also have a go at renewing mt Thai licence when I'm there, can't hurt to try I guess. And as many have pointed out its inconsistent as to what rules are applied on the day ha ha ????

Archived