Irish backstop can't be changed for Brexit deal - Estonian president

webfact

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Focus on the details of the backstop and try not to meander off.

Ireland, the republic, has genuine concerns regarding the issues a hard border would create. They haven't been theatrical, silly, rude, threatening or acting like some British Brexiteer politicians.

The EU, quite understandably, support Ireland and it's concerns. The Irish PM and FM seem very willing to try and work something out but seek suggestions from a fractured and self argumentative British shambles of government and parliament.

It is for Britain and Ireland to work this out. Ireland must keep withing the rules imposed by the EU. 

If the Estonian leader has some ideas she should share them. Otherwise she's as much use as a chocolate teapot!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

If the Estonian leader has some ideas she should share them. Otherwise she's as much use as a chocolate teapot!

The Estonian leader is signalling small nation support for Ireland and EU unity and has the right to speak. And if it is only a chocolate teapot what do you care.

24 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Russia didn't get rid of anything other than as a result of the USSR collapsing. And 'er Kaliningrad still seems to be knocking around.

Yeah no problems there they get along fine with the Ruskies.

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Estonia dictating to the UK. One more reason to leave with or without a deal on March 29!!!!

minister merely given her opinion and it should be heard and respected.... the UK ""so called"" democracy

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

And as one of the many small countries that gets far more out of the EU than it contributes, it's position of "respect" is at the grace of others.

Without Germany and the UK contributions, the gravy train would be very thin. 

Mean spirited, you miss the point. The aim is assist other countries to grow and be successful. In that way, OUR market grows. 

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Stupid woman wants her 5 minutes of fame! Once Putin decides to take the Baltic States back she'll be hoping Britain and the US will help stop him; because her piss-pot country couldn't.

At the end of the day, they'll all do what Merkel tells them, including Juncker. Germany controls the money - end of.

Pathetic

Here are a few facts about Estonia for you to read...

https://www.indexmundi.com/estonia/economy_overview.html

Indeed they should. And I wonder how much Estonia contributes NATO costs in doing this?

Indeed they should. And I wonder how much Estonia contributes NATO costs in doing this?

They have the fourth highest contribution as a percentage of GDP after USA, UK and Greece. Greece??!!!

And a few more facts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Estonia

7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Why a joke? As a member of the EU they are entitled to express a position - and act accordingly. 

The more I learn about brexiters' attitudes, the more I despise them. No wonder EFTA won't let us join. Embarrassing, frankly. ????

Scotland will be far better off in the EU and away from the U.K.

There were no written rules for departing the EU; we're all making it up as we go along! Fair enough, the 27 demand the 4 principles - but that imposes the hard border if there's no deal.

To treat UK as some sort of villain here seems harsh, they are unlikely to abandon all standards adopted over the last 40 years. You may of course wish to deter others from leaving, but it hardly opens the door for UK to want to change its mind later, which is what a club would normally suggest, so as to keep its coffers full.

The quote of the bar bill analogy - usual club custom is to insist members pay for drinks consumed, not those in the barrel or in the delivery van.

So to break the impasse, perhaps the logical geographical (sorry Scotland) Irish unification, with the EU funding the resettlement in GB of all those wishing to leave (DUP and the like). Then back to island mentality, each with internationally accepted coastal fishery protections. WTO tarrifs unless a better deal can be negotiated, to save dragging all this out for another 2 years .....

And before you demand recognition of all those lives lost in the past, remember those from years gone by - recent Boer wars, Middle East wars - always in the end you must move on, not hark to the past - sure learn from the past, but move on.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Russia didn't get rid of anything other than as a result of the USSR collapsing. And 'er Kaliningrad still seems to be knocking around.

I think Kalingrad is ice free? I can't see Russia wanting to take Estonia; I don't think they want Lebensraum! Then again, joining NATO was an unnecessary provocation IMO - similarly for Ukraine. 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah no problems there they get along fine with the Ruskies.

Not really, it's a Mexican standoff. A high proportion of the population are Russian and Russia COULD attempt a "Sudetenland" approach

Best approach is to bind in Russia economically IMO.

22 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I think Kalingrad is ice free? I can't see Russia wanting to take Estonia; I don't think they want Lebensraum! Then again, joining NATO was an unnecessary provocation IMO - similarly for Ukraine. 

Nothing way east of the easternmost Danish island is ice free for sure.

On occasions, you can experience solid ice all the way from Norway to northern Denmark.

But way south in the Baltic, yes, normally.

If all else fail the Russian navy can always sneak out to the North Sea through the canal

from Kiel and westwards.

12 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Not really, it's a Mexican standoff. A high proportion of the population are Russian and Russia COULD attempt a "Sudetenland" approach

Best approach is to bind in Russia economically IMO.

According to a Guardian reporter people are mixing well, As for governments when do they do the right thing for the people. 

Archived