How many times can I enter per year on Visa Exemption?

Thinking of how to legally avoid the whole retirement or marriage visa rules.

How many times can I enter per year on Visa Exemption?

Also if I extend for another 30 days does this change how many times I can enter again per year?

If I get a Tourist Visa does this change any of the above?

There is no written limit on the number of visa exempt entries you can do by air per year. By land they are limited to 2 per calendar year.

After doing a few of them you may pulled aside and questioned about what you are doing here.

The best option is to get tourist visas instead of doing visa exempt entries.

Depends on few things such as how long outside of Thailand between entries etc.  Sounds like your wishing to use VE and Setv to basically live in los. Very common practice years ago. It won't work now. At some point you will be refused entry and if that is at an airport the result is pain. As mentioned O-A from home country would give you 2 yrs

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 2

You want to avoid doing more than 6 visa-exempt I think as it will flag you in the system...it is also a hassle doing them.

Right now I'd go for METV (just under 9 months really with trip out on last day of visa validity adding 60+30) in your home country if you were looking at a trip home soon and an SETV in Laos after that.

Safest options...will get you to just under 1 year or a year if you spend 10-14 days outside Thailand doing the SETV.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Depends on few things such as how long outside of Thailand between entries etc.  Sounds like your wishing to use VE and Setv to basically live in los. Very common practice years ago. It won't work now. At some point you will be refused entry and if that is at an airport the result is pain. As mentioned O-A from home country would give you 2 yrs

Forgive my ignorance but how would an O-A from your own country give you 2 years. And for those who don’t want their money tied up in Thailand is the O-A multiple entry visa from your home country the best option and can you obtain these repeatedly without any problems from Thai Immigration? 

Are there any disadvantages from obtaining repeat O-A visa’s? 

Thanks in advance for any guidance. 

44 minutes ago, Chiller said:

Forgive my ignorance but how would an O-A from your own country give you 2 years.

The OA long stay visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it is issued. You can leave and re-enter the country just before the visa expires and get a new one year entry. The you would need a re-entry permit to keep that last one year entry valid if you wanted to travel.

People people have been getting OA visas back to back for years without a problem getting them or on entry to the country.

No disadvantage from doing them that I can think of other that having to return to your home country to get another one.

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The OA long stay visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it is issued. You can leave and re-enter the country just before the visa expires and get a new one year entry. The you would need a re-entry permit to keep that last one year entry valid if you wanted to travel.

Thank you Ubonjoe. Just one further query concerning the extra year, do you have to apply for this at the point of re-entering Thailand towards the end of the original 12 Month Visa and if so what is the procedure please. And I’m assuming from your answer that this can be repeated, so only have to return to your home country to repeat every 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Chiller said:

Thank you Ubonjoe. Just one further query concerning the extra year, do you have to apply for this at the point of re-entering Thailand towards the end of the original 12 Month Visa and if so what is the procedure please. And I’m assuming from your answer that this can be repeated, so only have to return to your home country to repeat every 2 years. 

Nothing is required to get a new entry on or before the day your visa expired other that you passport and a new TM6 arrival card. Same for all other entries you use the visa to get.

After that last entry you just need to apply for a reentry permit.

On or before that last entry ends you would have to go home to apply for a new OA visa or apply for a extension of stay at immigration,

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing is required to get a new entry on or before the day your visa expired other that you passport and a new TM6 arrival card. Same for all other entries you use the visa to get.

After that last entry you just need to apply for a reentry permit.

On or before that last entry ends you would have to go home to apply for a new OA visa or apply for a extension of stay at immigration,

Okay understood, thanks again, much appreciated. 

So heres an alternative for the retirees that dont like 'The New Deal'  that  I havent heard mentioned !

If you go  home every year or two ,  and  while you are there,   the answer is , you go and get a new O-A visa ?

Its been more than 10 years since I did it  ... has that process got any harder?

IIRC , and for Australians , a Federal Police Check , a medical  , proof of 800k in the ( home ) bank  - all 'bound and something or other' by a special lawyer ( whats the term ?) and you get 2 YEARS -  as long as you get a re-entry permit near the end of the 1st year  and leave Thailand for a holiday  !

Did I miss something other than an application , 2 pics and a fee  as well ?

Sounds like a good alternative...

( Anyone just done an O-A from Australia ? )

OP - i don't know how long you plan to spend in thailand each year, but you refer to retirement and marriage options so it sounds like most of the year (or as much as possible).

you'll have to use SETV's and extensions and maybe one visa exempt plus extension per year.  after 2+ years, you may have trouble getting SETV's at consulates in nearby countries as they'll see all the SETV's in your passport.  so you'll need to get a new passport.  around this same time, immigration at the airports will see that you've been staying long periods in thailand on SETV's so you'll need to start using land borders to cross (not poipet).  and you'll need to carry at least 20,000thb in cash each time you enter as financial proof that you can finance your stay.  plus proof of a flight out of the country before your permitted to stay date is up.

this is an alternate option to the METV at home country noted by others.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 5:02 PM, ubonjoe said:

People people have been getting OA visas back to back for years without a problem getting them or on entry to the country.

No disadvantage from doing them that I can think of other that having to return to your home country to get another one.

Thanks Joe, but it really was'nt a disadvantage returning to my own country as i had an operation for kidney cancer on the national health. Why not i paid in all my working life, and it was perfectly legal.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:23 PM, zaZa9 said:

So heres an alternative for the retirees that dont like 'The New Deal'  that  I havent heard mentioned !

If you go  home every year or two ,  and  while you are there,   the answer is , you go and get a new O-A visa ?

Its been more than 10 years since I did it  ... has that process got any harder?

IIRC , and for Australians , a Federal Police Check , a medical  , proof of 800k in the ( home ) bank  - all 'bound and something or other' by a special lawyer ( whats the term ?) and you get 2 YEARS -  as long as you get a re-entry permit near the end of the 1st year  and leave Thailand for a holiday  !

I did one last year, but have just returned from OZ with a new O-A visa good for another 2 years.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:23 PM, zaZa9 said:

From what i understand, i will only need a re-entry visa if i leave the country during the 2nd term. Ask Joe, he is the expert.

26 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

From what i understand, i will only need a re-entry visa if i leave the country during the 2nd term. Ask Joe, he is the expert.

Its a reentry permit. You don't need it for first 12 months because O-A is multi entry. By exit Thailand and reenter just before your o-a until date you will be granted another 12 month. You will need a reentry permit to kepp that alive if you wish to exit Los

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

What I meant was - ''Can you list what was required in Aus nowadays for a new O-A Visa to Thailand please ? " 

So , What Did You Need  To Provide and at what city in Aus   ?

What was the fee ??

In particular , is a Notary Public still needed ? And do the documents  still need to be 'bound and notarised'  by a NP ?

Edited by zaZa9